Chinese people how do you feel about the Yulin Meat Dog Festival? Why do you that? Why do you torture animals?

Ok I'm not saying all Chinese people like to torture animals for their fur their leather order for meat. Other nations do it as well. But China is like the most known country to torture animals!!! Don't you have feelings people? Why do they have this outrageous cruel festival? Boiling poor dogs alive!! Skin them alive '! Because they taste better? Why even taste your best friend? How would you feel if I skinned you alive? (to anyone who isn't against it)

Most Helpful Girl

• i can't even begin to describe how fucked up i think those people are.

• hey we're not any worse than a lot of people in the world.

• im not that stupid. @hypno-trip

• uhm k well I don't think you are either you answered some of my anon questions well a long time ago lol

What Guys Said 18

• Not all Chinese people like eating dogs and to the majority of Chinese people they are too cute to eat. This festival exists in only one village while China is very big.

Also in China there is not concept that dogs are "best friend" they are a cute animal that can be pets but they are not "man's best friend" just like birds and hamsters.

China has a long history of famine, the largest famine in the world happened in China and also the second largest and third largest. Throughout it's history Chinese people learned to eat any kind of animal they could find to survive and some of those traditions stuck.

• I don't know but its part of old Asian culture from what I heard, I mean they ate what they had available back then, which happened to be stray dogs, not like Chihuahuas and shit hahaa. and Japanese people ate dolphins, its what was available. culture turned into tradition because they strived.

• it seems from all the comments here, that you've made it clear you aren't talking about animal cruelty, you want the opinions of Chinese people only on what they think of this.

to me, this sounds like you're trying to call people out, regardless of your 'not all chinese people like to torture etc...;'

You can say that, but your whole question seems intended to aggravate and start a war. Asking someone 'Why do you torture animals?" is kind of a loaded question--asking someone about something they do when you already so obviously see it as a horrible thing to do, why would anyone want to answer you objectively? You aren't treating the question objectively, so anyone who agrees with the festival is understandably going to be angry, whether or not they're in the right.

'Why even taste your best friend'--'don't you have feelings': These aren't legitimate questions, you just want to express your anger. What do you expect people to answer? This question is designed entirely [subconsciously or not] to start a war.

• Yet you didn't answer the question.

• No, I didn't, because a) I'm not Chinese, and b), if you WERE asking me [assuming I'm chinese for the sake of argument] 'Why do I torture dogs? Why do I want to eat 'my best friend', those questions are as I said, inflammatory, extremely rude, and they seem more like you trying to get your righteous point across than asking for actual opinions.

I actually explained that in my first comment, but I hope this clarifies for you.

• I don't think any society has a clear conscience when it comes to animal rights while I don't agree with the Yulin festival - I think singling out the chinese people is not right either - A country of one billion is being demonised because of a festival in one village - There will probably be a bullfight in Madrid over the weekend - A hare coursing event in Ireland - A foxhunt in the UK - Millions of animals slaughtered in not great conditions to cater for the world's meat market.

• the Chinese aren't the only ones who torture animal. you never hear about Canadians slaughtering baby seals in their arctic region?

• Dude can't you read? "Ok I'm not saying all Chinese people like to torture animals for their fur their leather order for meat. Other nations do it as well. "

• i never said that. i'm just saying that animal abuse is happening all over the world, not just in one place

• Yeah that festival is considered cruel by animal activists, but no culture is perfect.

Look up "whaling " in a search engine, now THAT is something that isn't talked about much that is very intensely cruel!

• To be fair you don't see what they do in slaughter houses in western society. Still, we hold a different kind of bond with dogs that isn't upheld elsewhere, not to mention tradition.

• Did you not ever think that they might view those of us who eat pork, beef, or chicken the same way as you might view them?

• I don't care how they view me since I don't torture animals for any reason. Not even to eat them!!

• I will agree that a quick death should be optimal should one choose to hunt their own food. No sense in needless agony. Quick and painless is preferable.

• What is that?

• How many other of the countries you cited have you lived in? Have you lived in China?

• You can search some materials about China's Cultural Revolution and how people tortured each other during that movement, and you will never feel surprised by this God Meat Festival anymore.
    One more thing, they also eat babies.

• They don't. That was just propaganda. The photo used for that was from an art exhibition called Eating People by a performance artist named Zhu Yu.

• @TheINTJ I am tired of those Chinese whitewashing tactics. Take it to your bedroom and bathroom.

• @hypno-trip there you go bro

• Never look into Chinese "zoos" either, disgusting sh! thole of a country.

• may be they think of themselves at the top of the food chain.. and they are chinese so they can do fucking anything.. but killing is someone is not good at all!

• I was going to put up the same question... it's inhumane beyond limits.

• guess what baby, we all bitch, whether it's japanese, chinese, america, germany, we selfish, we kill, try to enjoy yourself in this bitch world

• Guess what asshole. Good luck in hell! And next time have the courage to speak non anonymously!

• be nice baby, seems you 'private profile', where are come from? what happened in america? white and black, if I say something hurt you feelings, then i'm sorry, I just say the truth, if you don't like something, you can fight it, go and change it, when you 30, I think you won't ask this question

• Eeeww dogs are gross both alive and for food.

• Yet these same people complaining go home and eat steak or something. Cause the lives of cows and chickens don't matter. Only dogs right? The way they kill cows and pigs is torture too. Why can't Americans accept that some countries aren't like them

What Girls Said 8

• I'm opposed to it.

It isn’t really about culture or tradition as they claim it is and as most people are led to believe. Dog meat was never worth much in Chinese history. Sure, they were kept for hunting and was valued as guard dogs and as companions, but offering them to the Gods and serving them in parties and ceremonies was seen as disrespectful and is still seen as taboo even to this day. They were only eaten in times of famine, a practice that soon ceased when China’s agriculture grew and developed and when religions like Taoism, Buddhism, and Islam, which discouraged eating dog meat, arose.

The festival was really only started 6 years ago as a money-making scheme to generate income and boost the town’s economy, since their officials were under pressure to meet the target local GDP growth. That's why they're distancing themselves from it now, saying that it isn't an official festival.

I think it’s really sick and desperate of them to steal other people’s pet dogs to use them for the festival and abuse them in front of people just to have protesters bid money to save them. With that said, if they righted their ways and practiced it legally and as humanely as possible, I wouldn’t have a problem with it.

The only good thing that can be said about it are the activists who are actually doing something about it, like the Chinese woman who traveled hundreds of miles and has paid over 150,000 CNY (20,000 EUR) now to save almost 500 dogs from this year’s festival and the last. Less dogs were slaughtered this year too. With all the outraged controversy surrounding it, I imagine it’ll take only a couple more years for the festival to die down or at least change their practice.

• I don't see how this is a problem. Any day of the week I can go into the mall and their are suede shoes and Leather purses. Any day I can go into the grocery store and see row after row of chicken, beef, porn, etc. but you only seem to care about dogs because they're cute and fluffy. More cows died yesterday than dogs killed in every single years do that festival. If your going to care about animal cruelty you actually have to are about animals, not just the cute one.

• 100% agreed ^

• I agree I personally don't like to eat meat... It's just traditions in "backwards" parts of the world, it takes time for people to become more civilized and stuff Chinese people included...

• @aamy811 exactly how I feel, there is a great video on youtube where Paul McCartney is the narrator and he addresses the issue of animal cruelty in general, you should definitely check it out.

• This question is so ignorant. I am not responsible for what people thousands of miles away do with their lives and they are not responsible for what I do. Why do you care about the dogs in the yulin meat festival but not about the cows that die when you eat steak? Do you think God views dogs and cows differently? Why do you worry about dogs and not about the people in this world that are starving to death? When you become a vegetarian and start helping people who are hungry - then you will have the moral right to worry about animals.

• Who on earth told you I'm not caring about all the animals on this world? Are you fucking stupid? Didn't I mention that people use animals for their fur and leather and meat? Do you think they only do that to dogs? Jesus!! Learn to read!! And don't make fucking assumptions. And if we all thought like you noone would care about the children starving in Africa!! Like" why would I care about what people do miles away from me? " and then I'm the ignorant!! If you don't have a sense of responsibility towards the community and the world you're a nothing.

• geez some people need to calm down, I don't think she's trying to be inflammatory, the poster just seems to struggle with the idea that someone could torture and eat a dog, and wants to understand what's going on in the minds of people who do.
    As other people have said it came about due to famine, they eat cockroaches and spiders too (a lot of weird things start to seem good when food is scarce). BUT, history and tradition alone do not justify an action.
    People have drawn comparisons between eating dogs and other animals yet i's not the same as say eating a cow or a chicken because dogs and humans have the closest symbiotic relationship.
    Besides the fact that eating a dog seems abhorrent to me, torturing an animal is wrong in any situation. A quick death is the least you can do for any animal you're about to eat.

• Thank you for supporting me... and yeah a quick death is the least anyone can do, although the best thing anyone can do is leave animals free to live their lives!! And not slaughter, torture and eat pigs, cows, ships, horses, cats, dogs (I'm saying all the animals I can think of for anyone saying I'm making segregations) original use them for fur, leather, circuses, zoo's, sea world's, fights to death. I can't think of any other animal abuse.

• Uhm, they do that to pigs in North America. Burning the hair and skin off while boiling them alive. It's very fucked.

• Upset
    disappointed
    disgusted

• Some do, some don't. Factual answer to all questions like these.

• The point is cat and dog or any pets not for food. Come on, even monkey? Crazy huh :(