If I write an autobiography (in the future, maybe) and it gets published.. and suppose the public likes it and want to make it into a movie?

can they do that without the writer's permission?
The writer writes with a pen name so nobody knows her/me.
P. s :- none of my work is published. Don't bother to search me :P

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 10

• if it is published then it should be trademarked, so if that information is correct then yes they would need to get some approval before production.

• No you own rights to story but you have to copyright it.
    The copyright in your name as opposed to name used on book.

• They actually need your permission to publish anything you write, cause it's copyrighted to the person who originally wrote it.

• I think you could with the publishers permission but it's got have a
    trademark but who knows i say follow your dreams.

• The laws of copyright apply in some form or another in most countries. Regardless of using your real name or a pen name, you own the copyright and have the ultimate say in what happens.

• The work is yours and they need your permission to make it into a movie. At least in most countries, there are some places that do not recognize copyright.

• China is a good example. But in general you are safe, also a copyright comes into being the moment you publish so once your book is made it automatically becomes copyrighted. The other thing about copyright is that YOU or your publisher must defend it. It's threat of lawsuit that protects your writing.

• Thanks for the info :)

• They would still need your permission provided it's trademarked

• lets start with the fact that if you write a autobiography there's probs gunna be under 100 people buying it :P
    dont worry i will be one of those people :P

• I don't believe so but if it not that big of a book, the movie ideas may not even be noticed. Unless you seen a trailer then SUE!

But if it does happen it always good to get the recognition that is deserved

• Beta baghban film dekh li he kia aap ne amitabh bachan ki? :D

What Girls Said 1