How do you feel about same sex marriage being legal in all 50 states?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it's a good thing, it's about time we as a nation lived up to our constitution at least in one way that all American citizens have the same rights and protections as any other. It won't stop it, but at least it's been legally finalized and we can drop some of the uncertainty.

What Guys Said 26

• I think the discussion is way too black and white and thus the current outcome will be ending up into something which lacks proper thinking it through.

Several issues I see with it:

1. Marriage in itself has always been a religious establishment. By making gay-marriage legal it's literally spitting on all these religions.

2. There are a few tax- and other advantages which are solely there to support the creating of a family aka child-bearing. Gays can't biologically get children for obvious reasons.

3. Adoption here is an another problematic aspect. There is quite a lot of scientific research on the absence of a father- or mother-role and it's harm on the childgrowth.

4. Further weakening institution of marriage itself.

5. Will churches end up - just like that bakershop - to be forced to perform such a marriage?

6. It could be a slippery-slope to polygamous marriages and other problematic ideas.

7. Ignoring the high numbers of domestic violence and such among gay and lesbian couples. That surely will become an even bigger issue with them marrying.

8. How exactly is marriage a right to begin with?

inb4 you homophobe / term of your choice which is meant to shame me

• My friends could already get married in my state. So I'm excited to see the opposition collectively lose their shit.

• Gays can never be "married" and quite frankly the entire movement is disgusting. What kind of people defend this? This isn't even the worst of it either.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VlpJzSPgZ88

• I am more concerned about how it was done rather than the issue itself. The Supreme Court really crossed a line with this ruling. It now gives them the power to overturn any law that is legalized in some states but not others. It should be left to the individual states where the majority rules.

Years from now people are going to realize how significant this ruling was. Say you have 49 states that legalize marijuana, to the wishes of the vast majority of citizens which is how a democracy works. The Supreme Court will then have the power to reverse the law for all those states making it illegal. This is truly a disturbing ruling, again not for the issue at hand, but for how it was done.

• I think it's great, well done to the US. If people dont agree with it then dont get married to someone of the same gender. It's really got nothing to do with you who others choose to spend their lives with.

• I'm sick of living in such a hypocritical country. So many people act as if the US is the bastion of equality when it is far from the truth. I think it's high time everyone puts their money where their mouth is. Either we work towards having equal rights for everyone or we drop the act.

• I'm fine with it. Every sexuality has the right to be happy and that's in my opinion

• i would have to say no

• As i always say, if a dude wants to marry another dude, it doesn't effect my life one way or the other. So I'm perfectly fine with it.

• Fine with it. I don't care. If two people are in love and want to live like a family then it should be allowed. There is overpopulation so this could help at least a little.

• I think it would be great.

• Trust me, you won't like my answer lol.

• I think it's fantastic and long overdue.

• i don't care. nothing wrong with gay rights, everybody should have rights.

• happy that I can get married to whoever the heck I want, but I want the USA to focus on more important LGBT topics like all the transgender murders... marriage is great but there are still more important topics.

• That's about like saying women's right to vote wasn't a big win because women are murdered in places.

• Ha, nope. It's saying 'yay, i'm happy as f. ck, but y'all know we aren't done, so lets not rest on these laurels and get our butts to work!'

and yeah. We need to keep hard at work on the feminist movement, to, surprising that we still need to establish equal rights for women, but we do.

Like I'll also say, I'm glad black people can vote, but that doesn't mean we're done with the fight for racism. Far from it.

• It's great. I don't see why anyone would be against it. It doesn't affect other people at all.

• I think it's ok if society really wants it

• I don't care either way, it will cause problems in my state though

• Great filer filler

• Abomination

• I couldn't care less about it being legal in all 50 states.

• I don't care. Enough of this fucking topic

• It would seen hypocritical to me.
    1. America was clearly found on Christianity. They literally have in God we trust all over there currency. In the bible homosexuality is clearly condemned. They are literally going against want they were founded on.
    2. Marriage is a Christian/Muslim/Judaism idea. Those clearly oppose homosexuality. It would be hypocritical for gay people to be married.

• I'm not American but the US was founded on secularism. It says so in that constitution. And the ''In god we trust'' was added later.

• Well I learned, something today. If this is the direction America is going than they should remove in the God we trust from our currency. You either with him or against him.

• Yes, we should remove the mentions of "God" from our currency. We are a secular nation with separation of church and state (supposedly). As such, it is utterly ridiculous to have mentions of religion, particularly specific religions, on our legal currency.

• I don't like it at all. I think marriage laws and rights are set up to protect and help families.

• Oh noooooo, gays getting married, families will be destroyed.

• @Surfofthenomad nice sarcasm, but I don't want to pay for their healthcare, I don't want them taking tax credits from families trying to save to have children, I don't want to pay for them. Why should I choose to pay for that?

• @Song4TheBroken I see you have an answer that expresses both your wit AND your tremendous intellect.

• About time. Now we can stop talking about it.

• I think liberal judges are simply using their position to tell other what they need to accept in their state. I will never fight for the US. Let the gays, feminists, atheists and liberals pick up a rifle... which of course they won't do in any numbers. Not my country anymore.

• As opposed to right wing judges forcing people to accept things?

• Opinions of conservatives aren't respected so we go anon for simplicity. Marriage was never intended for this and you know it. It is a legal shortcut that is all because they didn't want to put the work into Domestic Partnership laws. The US is morally corrupt and as such will fall. ISIS and the like will create havoc and you will hope someone stops them but hope just won't be enough. It will be an interesting few decades coming up. If you think Christains were bad, just wait. Those guys don't care about voting, protests and supreme courts. So you better hope there are enough to fight what is likely to come because I sure won't help.

• @Surfofthenomad: I am not atheist but I have several atheist friends that I get along great with. I will beg to differ a little regarding the usage on this site. My friends and I talk religion and a lot of other topics with mutual respect. We base our arguments off logic and often find a middle ground either way we love the differing points of views the other person has and we respect each other for them. However on this site you will get attacked if you have a different view than what some of the users on here believe. I respect others and I expect that from others but sadly that has not been the case on here from what I have seen.

What Girls Said 20

• I don't care if they are allowed to get married

I WILL SAY THIS THOUGH, I don't get why they want christian marriages... like I get wanting to bind yourself to your love forever, but the bible says "man shall not lay with man" So rather then doing a traditional ceremony, wouldn't it make more sense for them to come up with their own thing? I mean, I still don't care either way, if they want a christian marriage so be it, it just seems like doing their own thing would make more sense logically

• I'm all for it.

• That'd be awesome and just like how it should be.

• I'm so happy! I'll probably be visit some weddings this year for some wonderful people. And I'm always happy to see people get civil rights.
    Also I can't wait to see all the homophobes/anti marriage equality people's faces when the world doesn't end

• I think it would be great. Same sex marriage is legal nation wide here in Canada and I'm so happy. Everyone can get married and there's no more bitching happening on the topic.

• Either outlaw all marriage or let people marry who the fuck they want no matter their genitals. That's the big debate here after all, "what's between your legs? How about you? Okay those are appropriate pairings, you may proceed." It's no ones goddamn business. And what about trans people? Are they now not allowed to get married to anyone ever because their parts don't match their gender or because their gentials now aren't the ones they used to have when they were an infant? This is so stupid. Why are we even arguing about this as though somehow cisgender heterosexuals are worthy of more than people who aren't like them. The ignorance here is so fucking thick you'd have to beat the fuck out of it before attempting to saw through it and breaking the goddamn knife in the process.

• The US enters the 21st century. 100% complete freedom of speech, religion and opinion will be a fact.

• I hope we get there at some point. There shouldn't be a reason why the can't get married in the first place.

• Ecstatic, it's a great day in America. This is a huge step in making this country a better place

• I think it's a good thing, what bad could possibly come out of it?

• Who cares? However, All the propaganda about it should be illegal. If they want to be with each other, then let them be, but why throw it in the public's face left and right? It's awful.

• well, we throw straight marriages in people's faces in tabloids and such all the time? Why not gay marriages? Why NOT celebrate the overcoming of prejudice?

• As a Christian, I genuinely don't care, but I do think churches should have the right to choose who gets married in their particular church.

• I think that specifically makes sense. I'm pro lgbt and it's hard to decide where the line should be, because equality does include religious people, obviously.

• I dotn care if one gay hook up with another one. but I do care and I am concerned when they try to have kids or babies or adopt. A kid is super fragile and innocent

• I think it's wrong since I'm a Christian. I also think that things are starting to get crazy and very hypocritical. I think that making it legal is going to open up a whole new set of problems for churches that are preaching the right thing.

• I'm fine with it. That's great

• It's about fucking time!!

• I think it's about time!

• pretty damn good :)

• I think it's amazing! Love shouldn't be illegal love is love!