Is 'lovely' a patronising term of endearment?

That's what I call my girlfriend

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't say it is no.
    I am someone who uses pet names a lot though - lovely, hunny, hun, pet, darling, flower, petal, blossom, etc etc. I wouldn't mind if someone called me lovely.

My boyfriend called me "dear" which can be a little odd haha. He goes "dear would you like a drink?" Everyone is comfortable with different names though.

What Girls Said 5

• Nope. Lovely is cool.

• I don't know why anyone would think that. I can understand "dear" being one, but older people use that to me all the time.

• I hope not, I use it all the time :/

• I don't use it patronisingly

• No, I think it's sweet.

What Guys Said 4

• I think it is a nice term

• It depends on the context or how she put it or describes it as such

• Womyn deserve better than what you're doing by judging them by their physical appearance and then objectifying them. It's sexist and misogynistic.

• I'd give you a 6/10 for trolling there. Good effort pal.

• It still sounds judgmental, assigning your standards to another person whether the standards are for beauty or for getting along mentally with you. I wouldn't like someone judging me that way and I wouldn't do it to them.

• Well then you're a bit weird

• Women will find an excuse to be offended at just about anything.

What one woman likes, another will find offensive.

If your girl likes it, go ahead and say. If she doesn't like it, but you do, then find another girl, one who will like it. Fuck anyone who doesn't.