What made you stop believing in god/religion?

For me it was when I actually thought about the fact that he is omnipotent and omnipresent. This means he can do ANYTHING and see EVERYTHING regardless of time and space meaning he knew everything that would happen before it happened. Now with that knowledge in mind read the Bible from the start and one of the first things he has Adam do is have sex most every animal he had made at that point...

Most Helpful Girl

• I was born and raised as an atheist. I have nothing in common with people who were religious and had to go through the angst of dropping religion and having to tell families and friends, or how they came to terms internally about losing religion. I don't understand what that is like. So nothing made me stop believing. It more like, why have I continued to reject all gods?

Simply because there is no evidence of gods, and there is more evidence of holy texts being written and re-written to suit those in power. I am a woman of science. I like to collect as much information as I can to come to a conclusion that makes sense to me.

So it makes sense to me when there is overwhelming evidence that the world is older than 5000 years. It makes sense that our planet has been shifting and changing it's land masses for millions of years, making it possible in the last several thousand years for human migration to take place out of Africa, and that we all have a distant lineage to the black race in Africa. It makes sense that we, as beings, can be good people without having to follow a doctrine. I do it every day. People who are Christian reject Allah, gods of nature, or other monotheistic gods - I reject them all too, including one more: theirs. If they think all of those gods are ridiculous, then if they step back from it all, they might see that I do too, plus their own for the same reasons.

Finally, I am fine with living in the nothingness that will be after death. I was fine with the nothingness I felt prior to 1974, I'll be fine when it's over.

What Girls Said 3

• I haven't. I still very much believe in God. I don't always agree with some of the things that people do supposedly in God's name, but yeah. I definitely believe in and love God.

• Before this I had been kind of weary and questioning things. I read Night by Ellie Wiesel and he wrote about watching babies being burned in a crematorium. He said something along the lines of how is it that all of this is happening yet the world stays silent. How is it that babies (pure and innocent) are dying before my eyes yet god chooses to stay silent.
    And then I though either god exists and if so I reject him or he's never existed and this is how life is.
    Also I had always been taught that god was perfect and could make no mistake. But then I heard this guy says "that's impossible. If you have a machine that's perfect and I makes circles, but one day it makes an oval it's not the oval that's imperfect it's the machine. Because perfect things can't create imperfect things" and that just killed me because I thought it was so true.

• Also because d science it doesn't make sense that there it's in any way 5000 years old. Also biodiversity doesn't make sense when you hear that god made everything, yet we make animal hybrids that just prove evolution.
      Also the fact that they're over 100 version of the bible. If it's really god words then how are people coming up with different things. And I don't get how you new to "rewrite" someone words"
      Lastly I remember reading about the enlightenment and about how the church collected taxes and stole from the people but claimed that it would get them Into heaven but in reality they just took advantage of them. And I've seen this same thing happen over and over again in history so it makes me sceptic all of all organized religion because there's huge profit to be made off of it.

• I still believe in a God or a possibility of a God. I don't follow religion or the bible though. And I definitely don't believe all of the things religion tells us about God.

What Guys Said 13

• I never did to begin with that I can ever remember. The closest thing that comes to it was when I was younger I had an invisible friend who was a duck. His name was Ducky and I'd talk to him because I didn't have a lot of friends as a child and my dad was always away working. That's the closest thing I've ever done to believing in something intangible. I wasn't raised with it and my parents left it up to me to decide what I want to believe in. I do remember when I first found out that people believed in divine artificers so I read and continue to read a lot about various belief systems and religions. To this day I still don't understand why one is more true than any other or worth worshipping in any capacity. To each his own though.

• In my teens I couldn't explain some of the religious things to myself so that is why I became non religious.

• Mainly because I began to see religion as a fairy tale or myth if you want, more and more as I grew up. Besides that, I was raised by a strict, fanatic christian mother who made me hate christianity and religion in general. I see how in my own mother what zombies religious fanatics are. She can't take any decision for herself. No matter what problem she has, she must always run to the priest, supposedly for advice, but in reality she let him control her own life. And it makes me angry that she wanted to force me in all this too.

• There was no point that I just stopped believing, I just never really bought into the idea of religion.

• I believed in god until I was about 13 (I think). I suppose the point where I stopped believing was when I grew up and stopped being an immature little child, and started to actually think about the world/universe in a rational way. Other than pure logic, science also helped me to realise how utterly ridiculous theism really is. I mean seriously, it's like they're still cavemen living in the year 2015. It's mind boggling when you actually think about how people can believe in a god or gods in this day and age.

• I stopped believing after the whole "creation of the world thing". Yeah, a guy somehow made the world how it is... And we're all inbred apparently. Hahahaha, noooooo.

I truly think the whole religion thing was created by people who wanted power at a time where they knew the people listened to everything they were told and were complete idiots. They knew this, came up with religion, and spread it. Actually a smart idea.

• I haven't stopped dude

• lack of evidence bout god's x-istance... and also he (?) never helped me when i asked :|

• I haven't stopped believing yet, and never will stop believing in god.

• All religions talk about war and peace. The old testament talked about war and other stuff. But humans made a new testament. How can you make a new testament to what God created? Editing God's book. Everyone believes in god. But its hard knowing which religion is true

• I never believed, it just makes absolutely no sense to me, I prefer to rely on my Physics me.

• I believe in God, his powers, being omnipotent, merciful.

• It was when that guy pointed out that nobody could prove his belief in the flying spaghetti monster was wrong. You can't deny his unassailable logic.