Guys answer more than girls on history/politics on here?

I find it really fascinating that it seems almost every question about history, politics, etc. on here tends to be answered by a much larger number of men than women, at least in my observation.

It seems to me that men are more comfortable being assertive when it comes to factual argument rather than just opinion-based answers (such as preferences or personal stories or similar). It's also endemic in college classrooms from what I understand: men tend to speak up more. I suppose it's a socialized/learned behavior but I'm surprised to see it in an online anonymous community.
Has anyone else noticed this? I can try to find some examples if you want.

@mesonfielde @jacquesvol you two seem to discuss a lot of these types of things - have you noticed this? @esplorare this is based on your question/my responses.

Most Helpful Guy

• I spoken about this unusual trend before.
    I said I thought it might have more to do with how I've noticed men will process a disagreement, or better, a debate as an interesting exchange. Women are more likely to process it as an 'argument' and either attempt to immediately shut down conversation, or avoid it entirely.

I mean, I've had many conversations with Christians on here over religion. (Other faiths too, mind you, but mostly Christians.)
    I can think of a few guys off the top of my head, while on the total opposite end of the spectrum from me on a lot of issues, were civil and were actually a lot of fun to talk to.
    Including one from just yesterday, @jacwat25.

Meanwhile most female Christians I've had exchanges with have been catty and actually end up far more aggressive. They quickly resort to emotional appeals, trying to make me sound like I'm being a bully and should just leave them alone to have their own opinion. Even when they were the ones to initiate the exchange.

It's a pity. I wish fewer women would immediately write off discussions as arguments.

• i enjoy friendly debates!! helps ya learn how people think

• I was literally thinking the same thing when I wrote this - the idea of women trying to establish/maintain harmony. I do that but only in social situations where it's actually needed. I often think of discussions much more as interesting exchanges, as you said, than as needing to be shut down to preserve order or whatever. (Maybe that's why I don't get along as well with some women.)

What Guys Said 9

• Actually not true, I don't know enough about politics and history to properly discuss it - I agree on jacauesvol, but if there is someone who owned every question with historical references, it is @klara-hitler - but she might have become inactive because she had stuff to do.

• Oh I just meant questions that necessitate factual discussion (you tend to post questions about circumcision or gender or similar that require argument rather than just specific individual opinions).

• thank you meson, very very much. I'll be off after tonight I was changing places and didn't have time but after I log off now I'll be absent for a long time.

stay there I want to see you around when I have more time to come back check. :]]

for now, I wish you a very happy summer. good luck. :)

• @Klara-Hitler I see. It was an honor. Good luck! :)

• yeah it's more a guy's thing that's y... used 2 like history/politics by some degree, but now... bleeeehh

• How is it a guys' thing?

• never heard a gal being called nerdy if she's into politics... she's called nerdy if she's into anime, video-games and stuff like dat..."unattractive"... maybe?
      but still it's false.

• Thank you :) I am terrible at video games haha but I can be a nerd in that sense too.

• Huh. Interesting. It's possible. I think it is at least mostly as you say, socialized/learned behavior. I don't think it has anything to do with biology really, but I'm not surprised it's carried over into online communities.

Interestingly enough, though, when I identified as female [I am transgender], I actually was less assertive. I'm still not very assertive irl, but when I realized I identified as male and started presenting and feeling more male, a sort of confidence did arise from that, so I see where you're coming from. I'm also intrigued by the fact that you ARE being factual and respectful by simply going by your 'observation' and not making general statements about all the women here.

• I'm glad you thought it was non-generalizing! And I really do think women are socialized to be deferential among other things.

• I personally hate history and am indifferent to politics. But i agree men here answer questions muh more often than women.

• In my experience, women could care less about history and/or political science. In fact, women usually consider guys who are really into these topics to be the worst kinds of nerds.

• Not me, not at all. I love those types of things.

I think that holds for a lot of society, not just women :/

• Also I just had a very close friendship go south for what I think was that reason (he loved me, I loved him, we realized we couldn't be together right now although maybe one day), God willing to all the above. It was... not fun, to put it very lightly.

• Why couldn't you date him?

• Men in general are pushier and in fields where they have been able to keep womyn out for a long time it's even worse.

• The pushier part is what intrigues me - I don't know if that's inherently male or socialized or some combination thereof.

• That last part is just real common for womyn because men like to feel smarter but it's been shown that womyn are usually smarter I think.

• If a guy can't deal with how I actually am (thank God) then I don't want to bother with making him like a less ______ version of me - because how well would that go once I revealed how I actually am? Therefore I see no point to disguise it. I'm not talking about purposely going all-out intellectual on him at our first meeting, but just being myself and if that happens it happens.

• Im a geek by it. thats what I studied in college.

• That's awesome.

• @jacquesvol we don't in the U. S., at least not in my experience - maybe in better high schools. I think this explains a lot about our overall societal ignorance of other countries. We learn about Western European history and U. S. history and that's about it. Again I might be wrong because I went to a small rural high school - but still.

• There are parts of history I only learned after university, by getting interested and doing some look ups just for the pleasure of learning.

• Its because fuck you.

• Yeah, it could be a socialized behaviour kind of thing.

• It's sad if that's the case - we have opinions too.

• Really? That's fascinating - I didn't know that. Where'd you read/hear that?

• I learned it in a Sociology course I took a few years back.

What Girls Said 4

• Perhaps it has something to do with shrinking women...

"We come from difference, Jonas. You have been taught to grow out; I have been taught to grow in. You learn from our father how to commit, how to produce, to roll each thought off your tongue with confidence. You used to lose your voice every other week from shouting so much. I learned to absorb..." 1:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQucWXWXp3k

• I remember this - I was horrified. I think my whole life I've been pretty indifferent to the idea of turning inward/not showing what I can do just because of my gender, thank God.

• @Asker It's crazy to realize the silent truth that has dominated many of us women our entire lives.

• My reason for not answering questions about history/politics is because I know next to nothing about these things, and don't really care about them either, so it's not my place to answer.

• That's fair - I doubt it's the case for our entire gender though. Individuals might not be interested but I'm surprised to see that so many more men than women appear to be.

• Well, yeah, but I think that's also how it is in real life, from my observations, guys care more about these things.

• Huh - if that's the case I wonder why.

• History, science and politics are my favorite things. However I don't usually talk about it on here as much because some people get crazy and I just don't feel like dealing with it.

• I have observed this too. Men just have more testosterone and lower levels of cortisol. That's why they're more assertive.