Okay let's change the topics. What do you think about the banning of the confederate flag?

Are you for it? Against it? Why?

• Get rid of that flag!!
  • Keep the flag!
  • Other

Most Helpful Guy

• If you ban it, more people would display it in protest. More rebel organizations would use it. And original versions of the flag would go way way up in black market value.

It's just a flag really and banning it won't erase history. The main reason the Confederate flag is vilified so much is because the Confederacy lost the war, and history books always favor the winners. Truth is the Union was just as racist and the Civil War wasn't about slavery and liberating black people. If it was, why did the civil rights movement happen a solid 100 years after the war? I'm not saying the Confederates were the good guys; I think both sides were awful in their own ways. It's just that history books are way too biased one direction.

• The fact that the North didn't initially enter the war with the goal of ending slavery is irrelevant. The states that seceded overwhelmingly cited defense of slavery and fear of it being outlawed as the most important reason for seceding.

Yes, the North tried to make deals to allow them to keep it in order to preserve the union, but the fact that the north wasn't actually trying to outlaw it doesn't have any bearing on the fact that the south took drastic steps to protect it. All that really shows is that the south started a war over a fear of something that wasn't actually happening in the first place, which is arguably worse.

The two sides were not fighting for opposite sides of one issue, they were fighting for totally separate causes... But the primary cause of the South was clearly slavery.

• Finally, from his address:
      But if destruction of the Union by one or by a part only of the States be lawfully possible, the Union is less perfect than before the Constitution, having lost the vital element of perpetuity.

It follows from these views that no State upon its own mere motion can lawfully get out of the Union; that resolves and ordinances to that effect are legally void, and that acts of violence within any State or States against the authority of the United States are insurrectionary or revolutionary, according to circumstances."

• In summary, Lincoln was not out to get slavery and was not antagonistic against the south.

Several of the states seceded before he took office and directly cited preservation of slavery as the reason for doing so, despite Lincoln's policy of maintaining the status quo.

He did specifically say that he would not allow the union to collapse and the states to secede. When Confederate militias in South Carolina attacked Fort Sumter, his hand was forced and the north, which had been unwilling to mobilize for war, felt compelled to respond.

Additionally, the south had previously attacked an unarmed merchant ship that had been attempting to resupply Fort Sumter with food rations shortly before Lincoln took office, and in the interest of preserving peace President Buchanan did not react with force, but P. G. T. Beauregard ordered a second attack, this time directly on the fort itself and forced its surrender. The Federal government had to respond.

What Guys Said 20

• The way i look at it, You cannot simply 'Ban' a flag. There is History behind it. It would be stupid to effectively destroy said history. Afterall, We learn by our mistakes...
    The simple fact of the matter is, If you ban the Confederate flag, you my aswel ban the American flag. This stigma that 'Oh the confederate flag is used by hate groups', Whoopidy effin doo !, Last time i checked, The stars and stripes ain't always used for good either... Its not just US, I mean, There are radicals in every nation who use a flag for the wrong purpose, you don't just ban the flag over it.
    And honestly, Do you really think banning the flag would stop people in those hate groups from using it? If you ban it, you are only banning it from the law abiding good citizens who value it for its history, do you think the criminals and murderers will give a damn that it got banned and will stop using it? i think not...

• You know what's hilarious?

Amazon banned selling confederate flags...

Nazi flags? Still fine!

People are also so ignorant, they don't know... plenty of free blacks in the Confederacy/South owned slaves. The 1860 Census of New Orleans, for example, recorded a bit over 10k free blacks. About 3k owned slaves!

• If they ban the confederate flag they should ban the U. S flag as well, I'm not going to explain why but you should know your history

• 0|1
    • But it isn't rasict tho.

• It has become the symbol of racism. I have seem them mounted the door of business telling n*ggers people to stay out. I have also seen them on the back of pickup trucks. That have many discriminatory comments over flag. Nothing good has ever came from that flag.

• I know people who are black and carry around the flag bc they are proud I be a southern.

• I do not think that the government has the power to ban speech such as that, offensive though it may be.

• First off As a white southern male I think that flag is shameful. That said banning it only shows that we fear it. Also the rate at which the anti-flag people's list of things they want to ban is kind of scary. I mean first ban it on government sites which I agree with. Then on License plates which I do not agree with. Renaming Schools named after Confederate leaders-What? Banning Gone with the wind? Sure lets just erase the civil war and racism from our textbooks and pretend it didn't happen because that is so Progressive and will help fight against racism. I mean what the hell?

• I think they should place it in a museum that flag makes me cringe.

• I voted A because hate groups are using it as their symbol now

• They can ban it if they wish , I will still have mine and will fly it when I take a notion to

• I don't know or care what all this craziness is about. A flag, okay. There are many flags all over.

• Banning it would be censorship. I only believe in banning it from being on any government building or landmark. It's not a "culture" symbol. It's a symbol of the south being IDIOTS and trying to keep slavery legal. Keep it out of government buildings or sites or landmarks.

• But slavery was legal longer under the Anerican Flag

• It makes no sense to have a symbol of succession on government flags. I mean would it not be weird to put Anarchist flags on Government buildings?

• But it doesn't mean that anymore. people carry around thoses flags to show they are southern.

• It should not be flown on government buildings. If people want to fly it on their front yard or hang it on their wall, that's their business.

• The only people who want to keep it are racists and that's it. No sane person would want to keep a flag that supports slavery.

• It doesn't support slavery tho. And no I know black people who want to keep the flag.

• It was invented by the confederates when they wanted to separate from the Union so they could keep slavery legal. The flag was created for the sole purpose of supporting slavery and separation from the US. It is racist and those black people are just ignorant about what the flag represents.

• m.snopes.com/2015/06/28/confederate-flag-history/

This is what info I have on the flag. And I'm not a rasict and I want to keep the flag.

• That's the same topics...

• I have no opinion. I have other things to worry about so there. :P.

• Yep, I totally am. Gay marriage was just made legal, times they are a changin'

• Would you ask the British to ban the union jack?

• Uhm don't know don't caare

• Why? A flag is a flag... Like others said, for the same reason should we not ban the American flag too? .-.

What Girls Said 8

• There's no value in keeping the flag of a group who so hated the idea that black people would no longer be slaves that they attempted to form their own country.

• I have no idea what's going on :/ Feelin stupid

• Its old and outdated , also it is a symbol of rebellion against the united states , they lost the war and the confederacy doesn't exist anymore. Also their reason for rebelling was purely on slavery not state's Rights.

• I say to keep the flag (only use it for educational purposes in classrooms) as a reminder of what America used to be.

The confederate flag has numerous atrocities associated with too important to roll up & pretend like it never happened.

We should keep the flag as an example of what we don't want America to become again

• I don't honestly care because it's just a flag with some designs on it.

• Why the men are doing such a good job!!

• Even if you aren't personally offended by it, many feel like the flag stands for racism. Also the south lost, time to get over it.

• They are over it. And I hate when people say it's rasict bc it's not. And besides the US had slavery legal for longer than the considerate flag had it legal.

• Like who are you to say whether something is racist or not? Are you the official spokesperson for black americans? The answer is no, so stop thinking you can. And even if you aren't offended by it, many people are. You're not important enough for your opinion to invalidate theirs

• -Not black can't decide what is racist.
      -comment saying jews don't know what hatred of islam is.
      Can we stop this Obsession with these two minorities (Blacks, and muslims)
      Irish people were slaves in Britain
      Chinese were basically slaves for the railroad companies and hundreds died
      We literally wiped out almost all the Natives and still have reservations for them.

• People should stop caring about this damn flag and wake up to actual important matters.