Does anyone think that gay marriage should be left up to a vote?

I mean there are a lot of people who are in support of gay marriage, right? FYI, if it would get turned down it reminds me of the silent majority in the Nixon era. Please be respectful of both sides in this debate.

• YES, Should be voted upon.
  • NO, should not be voted upon.
It could be a right for religious who oppose it
Yeah, this issue is not just about today. Look at the system of checks and bakances, it was always favoring the courts.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well it was left up to a vote and the states were hashing all that out until the Supreme Court really over stepped their bounds. In a democracy/republics majority rules that's way the country was built. Again not speaking about the issue talking about the actual abuse of power of the Supreme Court. This country is further away from being a democracy now and yet are trying to spread a type of government to other parts of the world when we don't adhere to it.

• I agree completely. ***applause*** :)

• @KHaskins Exactly! There are methods and routes you take to go through to make things laws. That's the nice thing if you don't like something you petition it through the proper channels. Majority rules its the way the country is supposed to work the foundation on how it was built. What happened today is not a democracy. I agree with everything you said. Imagine how the civil rights era would have changed if someone did one sweeping legislation instead of allowing the country to fight it out.

• Thank you so much for MHO! :D

What Girls Said 8

• No, equal rights shouldn't be left up to public opinion.

• Gay people can get married to someone of the opposite gender just like straight people can. Just because gay people don't want to marry someone of the opposite gender doesn't make it un-equal.

There's plenty of laws I don't like, does that make those laws discriminatory? Maybe some people don't like work, maybe they'd just rather steal money instead of work for it. Why shouldn't thieves have equal rights? I have to pay taxes for all kinds of government services that I don't or can't use. That sounds pretty un-equal to me.

If I was black I'd be extremely offended by this. The supreme court basically said that two dudes having sex is the same has having black skin.

• @Ratiocinative

Every argument you just made is so stupid that I can't even.

• When it was up for vote in my state the issue made it up all the way to the Supreme Court because people voted 'no' by the narrowest margin. This case though, was a different one than the one decided today.

People would only be okay with a vote if it was 'yes.'

• It shouldn't be voted upon, because it's a human right that people deserve, regardless of sexual orientation. Why should the public be allowed to take a groups right, simply because they don't like their lifestyle?

• "It could be a right for religious who oppose it"

Religious beliefs are not relevant to legal issues.

• Then murder should not be relevant. I mean it's bad in religions.

• It's ridiculous to equate gay marriage with murder. Murder harms people, gay marriage doesn't.

• It has been voted on by many of the states...

• honestly i don't know why this whole gay marriage is being called into question. Nobody ever questioned straight marriage and through out my life i kind of just assumed it was legal when it was called into question i realized the ONLY reason it was because who are against people are scared or have bad education about their own religion there are certain issues that cannot be left up to the states to decide gay marriage is one of them.

• Vote? No one should have the right to vote on whether the person should or should not get married to their partner. That's nobody's business except the person and their partner.

• Obviously there was already a vote if it's a law

• I mean a vote like you would for a president

• Rephrase that, and check it over, I can't read it.

• Be more specific to.

• Should straight marrige be left to be voted on...

What Guys Said 10

• I don't care one way or another

My opinion is that they should have they same legal /financial benefits as a straight married couple but the church shouldn't have to hold the service or recognize the marriage if they don't want to.

I'm agnostic for the record

• Well if interracial marriage was left up to a vote I'm guessing some states would have taken decades more to legalize it. Many times in American history human rights have had to be enforced from the top down. It's not right to restrict a minority group because the majority feels differently. The whole point of a republic as opposed to a direct democracy is so we don't have what's called tyranny by majority.

• Next item up for a vote:

Should anonymous male (18-24) be permitted to live?

As long as we're voting on other people's rights, you would be cool on this vote too, right?

• Shutup

• I did not mean to lean either way. The right to live is different between the right to love someone else. No further comments.

• From anyone else.

• It should be voted upon and I support gay marriage

• Same. Naturally, though, people on here immediately conclude you're the enemy if you take issue with how this happened.

• i just think people should stop promoting homosexuality
    Stop making it a big deal, and stop putting it in TV shows and movies, its gross

just give them their rights and stop giving them so much attention

• Yeah - We did it in Ireland and it still got through

• The land of rainbows and sunshine, as one GAGer put it. Kind of fitting as the colors for this whole gay "marriage " thing are like the rainbow.

• Sure, let America's people vote for it so their will be no debate.

• No it shouldn't, because it's not a public matter. It's not like economic policies or international relations. Who a person decides to get married with is a personal matter that concerns only those involved

• It was left up to a vote. The vote was yes.

• Yes, it should.