Why can blacks say "nigger" but we can't?

Why? Isn't n** a bad word?

should everyone be banned from saying it?

Most Helpful Girl

• Right black people should be banned also
    Either everyone should be or no should be

What Girls Said 6

• What I want to know is why would you want to say it to begin with.

• for them it's more about familiarity. it's a term that that represents some form of belonging or inclusiveness. when they hear u, a man of a different race [i assume], using 'their term', then they'll get pissed at u. unless of course, they've moved past the 1900's and are able to coexist wit u.

• My question is why do you want to say it?
    I'm black as I don't say it just because it's offensive and I don't really see a reason to use the word.
    Also the original reasons behind black people using we're using it to say to white people, you can't hurt me with this word because u say it myself. Also it's a term we often use to put each other down because we're so used to it being addressed to us.

• WHY DO NON BLACKS WANT TO SAY IT SO BAD?

• You can say it, just not when people who might find it offensive are around :P

• This is known as reappropriation.

"In sociology and cultural studies, reappropriation or reclamation is the cultural process by which a group reclaims—re-appropriates—terms or artifacts that were previously used in a way disparaging of that group."

"A reclaimed or reappropriated word is a word that was at one time pejorative but has been brought back into acceptable usage—usually starting within the communities that experienced oppression under that word, but sometimes also among the general populace as well."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reappropriation

Basically, some black people have reclaimed the n-word (to note, some black people are against the use of the word, even if it is by another black person). This takes some of the power away from those who currently or historically used it as a pejorative. However, it can still be used as, or feel like, a pejorative, when used by people outside of your own group, and particularly when used to the group that has historically oppressed you (and continues to do so, while not through slavery, but through systemic racism).

To be clear, you CAN use the n-word. But many people will find it offensive and it will reflect poorly on you.

What Guys Said 15

• Black people say #NIGGER or do you mean #NIGGA? I mean you can say what you want around me because unlike most people in general #IDC. But other blacks may find it offensive and in the process slump ya (KO) so #YouCanDoWhatYaWant #ButThereMayBeConsequences i1127.photobucket.com/.../ezgif.com-add-text_1.gif

We have Whites, Hispanics, Arabs and even Asians in the hood saying #Nigga. It's all about the context/voice tone that you use it in. Depending on how it's interpreted by the person that you're saying it to you may have a fight on your hands. We can also pick up on if you're trying to be funny with it via how it rolls off your tongue. If a guy from the suburbs says it, it doesn't sound the same as a guy who grew up in the hood.

Race doesn't matter when it comes to this topic, but I'll tell ya this "your #respect does". Since we've had around 15 whites in this hood saying it "yet no one gave a damn" I wonder why. Oh yeah, because they earned their respect via throwing hands or they grew up in the hood so we could tell that they were 1 of us if that makes sense.

• Nobody should use it but some African Americans do and some don't. That's it boom now who is "we" because I don't understand why some whites or whoever always wants to know Why they can't say n** why do you want to say it in the first place. You know the history of it so why.

And nigga is the, same but it's kind of different when talking to a black depending on age. the older guys can't understand but the kids from like the 70's and 80's more or less the 80's turned gger into gga to try and a bad word into a good word and it is only said to other blacks because they already understand it's being used as a word of endearment. Shit if it wasn't for rap nobody else would be saying it but just cuz you listen to rap doesn't mean you can say it. Since it's in lyrics I understand but don't make it part of your vocabulary. feel me cuz tbh blacks don't say nigga all the time, times are changing and so are we. We're sayin bro now, cuz, folk, neff, nephew things that are positive but they are still some people who say nigga while some are trying to move on from it. if you say it that's on you because you night get someone who'll walk away from you like me or you find a guy who wants to fight (females too) when people ask stuff like this I wonder if they think spades, spic, towel head, chink and etc are words they wish they can say also since nigga or bigger is one

• I still think it's a derogatory term, which is why I don't use it either.

• But you still must feel differently when it's a black person saying it and a white person saying it, no?

• @Dandeus

The word never held the same meaning for me, I didn't grow up in the US so I didn't hear it until I was 13 or something. Also it's very rare that a white person would say it near a black person.

• It is the historical connotation of a white person using it goes back to slavery times when it was used as a derogatory term

• Because for the first 150 years of this country’s history, white slave holders used it condescendingly. When one African American refers to another this way, they are generally on more or less equal terms. So, no insult is intended or taken.

• Why are you so stupid? Should your stupidity be banned?

• If you don't naturally use the word and you have to ask why you can't then you don't need to say it.

• You can probably work this one out by yourself, if you think really hard.

• Because race is just a social construct but white people are racists when they say n**. Wait... what?

• Same reason why they can say "honkey" or "cracker" and it's fine.

• https://youtu.be/1kf16pQeXm4 thisis what happen when you mess with them

• i asked about this.. they said its neutral when black say it to each other

• Don't really care. Then again I'm not American so it doesn't really have that racism thing attached to it. I'm black though

• If they banned those words they're going to ban other words and so help me God I will shove a taco up someone's ass if I can't call my friends beaners even though we're Hispanic