Why do so many people think 14-years-olds shouldn't be playing GTA 5?

I've been playing this game since I was 10 and I've never tried to kill anyone, became misogynistic or broke the law in any way. It's all about knowing the difference between a game and reality. When you kill someone in the game, they fall dead without making a (loud) sound and you take their money & leave. In real life, they suffer real pain, don't die that easily, people will know & police will throw your ass in jail and you can't avoid arrest with a cheat code. They also have relatives that'll be sad they're gone and hate you. If they shoot you dead, you'll suffer and die and don't won't wake up in front of a hospital. If you start dropping bombs from the top of a building, I think it'll shake you a bit too when it hits the ground and those helicopters will definitely kill you. You can't drag people out of their cars because you need one. I you know those facts, I don't see why you shouldn't play. There isn't even gore. People get shot and that's it. I mean, have you ever played Dead Space? Resident Evil 6? That's the sort of thing you keep off children.

Most Helpful Guy

• I've always found GTA to be funny. I know it isn't reality. I've thought of it as a way to act out my silly visions of what living in the city is like.

I do think it's a bit much for 14 year olds, though. And I definitely think it's a bit much for 10 year olds. I mean, there isn't just stealing, killing, and reckless driving but things like strip clubs, drug dealing, getting drunk and high, drunk driving, and prostitution as well. Call me old-fashioned, but I think that exposure to stuff like violence, drinking/drugs, and sex should for the most part be saved for later. Like I said, I'm not against the series at all (and wish I had a computer that could run GTA 5!) but I think kids should have a chance to be kids, and learn about the nasty real world when they're more grown up.

I just think that you are able to handle it better because you seem more mature than most people your age. A lot of people even much older than you still act in very immature and just plain dumb ways. You're just ahead of your peers, is all.

• Well, if my kid was immature enough to get influenced by the game when she was 14, I'd just give her a talk about how it's just a game and how she'll end up dead or imprisoned if she does that in real life.

You see what I mean? That's what I'm thinking when I play the game. If I drive like that in real life, I'll be dead next day. I won't even get into the dangers of walking around drunk when you're a girl. I'm anxious about my health so I'd never do any drugs. Violence isn't that graphic in the games, really.

• Well, I don't demonize sex or drinking either. I like to have brews with friends, and I am looking for a relationship so I'm not against sex either. I just feel like kids should be kids though, I don't feel like childhood should be cut short. That's why I feel that talk of sex should be saved for later in life.

• Well, I'm a teen and I do masturbate, I think every one of us does. I'd give my daughter the sex talk when she hit puberty, unless she hit it early like me.

What Guys Said 8

• You've been playing GTA 5 since 10?

Now that's
    curvefever.com/.../...44ac39bbd9951632-493x281.jpg

• I'm more just a bit sad that games focus so much on weapons and killing.

It betrays a profound lack of imagination on the part of developers. Granted, amazing games are coming out, but think of all the interesting skills real life involves. A bit fail that so few of them have made their way into games.

• Because they apparently didn't learn empathy and assume others haven't either. To be fair, most people probably haven't. It is something you need to learn by overcoming stereotypical thinking...

• it's a sick game!

• look at all the children t\who listen to rap. children imitate what they see and hear.

• Maybe because of the possibility of destabilizing. Due to a controlled environment.

• I prefer Minecraft.

• will anyone on here play with me lol? it sucks playing alone

• Hell im 26 and even I don't play it

What Girls Said 2

• I wouldn't let my hypothetical children play a game that glorifies violence and makes it casual in the child's mind. I also don't like the game's attitude toward sex workers. If you consume that sort of media it becomes a part of you. I don't want my children to become the worst parts of society.

They can make their own decisions when they're older but I wouldn't buy the games for them.

• Am I the worst part of society? No. They won't be either.

• Lol you asked why parents wouldn't let their children play those games and I answered you. Now you're dismissing my concerns without even addressing them. That's not playing in favor of your argument.

Now.

"Are people who steal, kill, assault, and deal drugs good influences on society? Are they making a positive impact on their communities?" y/n?

• Dear God, what the hell are you talking about? No, they don't. Here is your answer. How does it have something to do with the games?

Did you say... LOL?

• People are so stupid.
    They make me want to leave society and live in isolation.