Why are some people afraid or feel uncomfortable when they are barefoot?

I got this friend that really doesn't like to be barefoot, this one time, we were all hanging out in the pool and she was with her sneakers. Why do they feel uncomfortable or exposed its part of the human body!

11

Most Helpful Girl

• I notice that sometimes after I shave off some of the calluses on my feet, it hurts a bit more to walk around barefoot. That's because the thick layers of dead skin (callus) that forms on the bottom of your feet acts sort of like a shoe does by protecting your feet (but obviously not as well). If you never walked around barefoot then your feet never built up a natural protection.

I'm not an expert but I googled "callus barefoot" (can't add links yet but it's the first one I got)

What one person had to say about running barefoot -"the fat pads on the balls and heels of your feet get thicker and the skin gets a nice leathery feel" which obviously your feet don't feel the need to do if you are wearing shoes all the time anyway. Also apparently when people who have never run barefoot do it, most of them notice that the front of their foot gets wider (because they aren't being constricted in a shoe anymore) and they get more prominent arches.

What Girls Said 10

• Its because if you aren't used it, it can hurt your feet a lot to walk barefoot. If you walked barefoot at a young age, your pain tolerance for going barefoot will be higher.

• Some people are just naturally conscious of their body! For example, I asked two people before I bought a pair of highwaisted shorts. Anyway, just don't think to much of it! Maybe, she just doesn't like showing off her feet! It's perfectly normal! If it helps you any, you could talk to your friend about it, and maybe comfort her! Hope this helps! :)

• Maybe it's because they don't like the way they feet look. I used to be this way too, but I realized that I can't change my feet, so, now I don't care.

• because it's hard to get used to. the soles are made of skin. bad things can happen like stepping on jellyfish, crabs, bees, etc

• I guess it a thing she does. I will walk around barefoot everywhere even through grass and dirt. Some people may not like the feeling or the fact that there are germs.

• thats ridiculous! xD i used to never walk around barefoot till this year simply because i found socks more comfy i guess. but now im always barefoot at home, pools (duh), parks... like seriously i have no idea their missing out haha

• i don't understand why either! my brother always walks like a pinguin when he's barefoot because he feels so uncomfortable,

• Maybe she doesn't like her feet. I don't like her feet. I don't like my feet. Feet are nasty. It probably makes her feel insecure? Meh I don't know.

• I personally am one of those people. I have actually wore my tennis shoes in the water because I didn't want my feet to be seen. For me, its because I don't like my feet being visible and open for judgement. Like stretch marks for instance, you see them on other people and you won't judge, but if you see them on yourself, you feel the need to cover them

• Just a preference.