Are the Harry Potter books worth reading?

Just watched 5 of the films in a row (I know I've got waaaaaaay too much time to spare) and now I really want to read the books but I'm a slow reader. I've got 90 days free until uni starts and I'm really bored, do the books have a huge amount more detail in them?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• I am a HUUUUUUUUUUUGE Harry Potter fan, so I enjoyed every single minute I spent reading them.

The movie is not even close to the greatness of the books, the way Rowling writes will get you, if you liked the movies, the books will make you go crazy over it.

There are maaaany characters you have never heard about because you only saw the movies, so discovering new characters and THE REAL things that happened in the story will make you love Harry Potter.

For example: Dobby wasn't on the 4th movie, but he had an special part in the book, he gave Harry the gillyweed, not Neville.

Ex2: There is this amazing character called Peeves, you don't know who that is because the stupid Chris Columbus didn't add him to the first movie, so the other directors couldn't bring Peeves out of nowhere, he needed to be in the first movie so he could appear on the others.

You will not regret it, but... You'll need more than 90 days if you're a slow reader.

I read the first one when I was 12, it took me 2 weeks I think (the first time) the second time I read it took me 2 days. So yeah, you can finish but you have to be quick.

• Dobby better not die in the books :/ Little bastard broke my heart when he did in the films.

• Thanks a lot :)

• Thanks to you :)

What Girls Said 3

• Are you kidding me! Yes!

• static.comicvine.com/.../...5-1373030102489649.png

This is Murica' in a picture. It only misses a bible, and then it would be perfect.

• This has nothing to do with the question. There is also a religious fish symbol on his cart that replaces the need to show the bible.

• A religious fish? Alrighty then.. @heavensgift2girls

• I am not sure if you will appreciate them as much as I did.

• How come?

• Because you're starting them at 19. I would probably consider them childish if I read them at 19.

What Guys Said 6

• I'll put it like this: If you thought the movies were good, the books will blow your mind. I'm not a huge fan of phantasy books/movies but I absolutely love Harry Potter. I love her style of writing, I love the story and I love the huge amount of details (yes, there are wayyy more details in the books). And there''s not just details that they left out in the movies. In fact, they left out some pretty important stuff too. I understand that partially because you can't make a 5-hour movie but I still thought it was sad.
    So in my personal opinion, I would definitely read them. They're absolutely awesome. The fact that both 10-year old children and 60-year old adults (for example my mom) read them and both think the story is great must mean something :-).
    There's just one advise I have to give you: be patient in the beginning. One of J. K. Rowling's characteristics is that the first 50-100 pages of every Harry Potter book are pretty boring. It's takes quite some time to get into the story. But if you're patient and you don't give up, you will be rewarded with an absolute page turner. I read the Harry Potter books back when I was a teenager (I grew up together with Harry Potter, we were always the same age more or less). I remember when I was 15 or so, the new book had come out and I read it in less than a week (and I'm a very slow reader, probably even slower than you because I have a visual disability). I don't think I even cared what the teachers in school talked about that week, I just wanted to go home to read Harry Potter haha ;-).

• I used to ignore the teachers in school and read Harry Potter in class <3
      Those were good days <3

I didn't grow up with him, I read the first one at 12, and I finished all of them the same year XD But gosh, I felt like Harry Potter was part of my life too!

• They had to cut out about half of the books in order to make the movies. So yes they are definitely worth reading. They are some of the best written books you will ever read. If you don't know for sure, then just pick up the first one used, for almost nothing, and give it a shot. You really don't have much to lose by giving it a try.

• Harry Potter is an example of series in which the movies did a terrible job compared to the books. I know it's almost always like that. But - for exaple - the Lord of the Rings trilogy managed to be ALMOST as good as the books. In the case of Harry Potter though movies were a huge disappointment, except for the first 3 which were ok.

The books have so much detail and story left out in the movies. However, since you're 19 you may find the first ones kinda childish. They grew old togetgher with readers. so maybe by the time you reach the 5th one they'll be mature enough for you.

• Absolutely it is for some people; it's not for me though

• If you have to read them get them from the library because the writer already has too much money.

• Of course, they're a great read