Why do some people still own Rottweilers?

I think that breed is a complicated one to work on and it's so territiorial (more than other dogs). I wouldn't mind any dog except the Rottweiler. On top of that I have to admit that sometimes it's even scary looking, esp when they get bigger. Basically isn't that like owning a loaded gun and saying ''It's ok, I have the gun under control''. Sure they might be right but that doesn't mean I'll still take precautions if someone comes greeting me with that breed.

Only once did I trusted one of them but that's because my friend and I had practically grown up with the rotty when she was a puppy but I wouldn't freely trusted an unknown adult rotty.

Most Helpful Guy

• Rottweilers are AMAZING dogs when properly trained.

mrcrottweiler.org/.../Temp-e1378520595507.jpg

• Well yes, the female family Rott is my only exception. That's because my friend and I have grown up with her since she was a puppy. She's the only one I've ever trusted and still do. That's different than seeing unknown adult Rotts with their owners. A couple of them were by the gates barking too much (excessively) at anyone passing by and really acting scary. That's why I take more precaution with them than any other dogs. They tend to be way more territorial than any other dogs.

• But why the excessive barking with them? Unlike other dogs, they didn't act that way and were more friendlier.

• Excessive barking? I think you're trying to lump all of them together and you need to cut that shit out. I have a rottweiler who NEVER barks unless he thinks someone is trying to get into the house at night. Apart from that he's a totally mute puppy.

ALL dogs are territorial, it depends entirely on how the dog is raised and trained to behave. Those "aggressive" rotties you're speaking of were probably either brought up poorly (aka not socialized) or their owners are total dickbags and trained them to act like that. OR third option, they're rescue pups, which complicates the situation so beyond your comprehension.

I highly suggest you educate yourself before making yourself look even more like an idiot by trash talking specific dog breeds because you're scared of couple of them. Ignorance gets you NOWHERE in life.

What Guys Said 10

• I've known people with them, and I've never had any problems with them, and I've come in contact with much more terrifying breeds before -shrugs- matter of opinion I suppose but just because you have issues with them doesn't mean other people do. Half the time it's the answers at fault anyway.

• Rottweilers, just like Pitt Bulls and German Shepherds, are not inherently dangerous dogs. Bad owners make them dangerous dogs. If you train them correctly and socialize them often, a Rottweiler can be just as kind and loving as a Labrador.

• Well yes, my friend and I trust the family female Rotty we've seen and grown up with ever since she was a puppy. That's the only exception. It's basically like a person you grew up with and know so well or eating a food you make yourself.
      But when it comes to seeing other adult Rottweilers with their owners, I can't help it but feel a kind of leery. I don't trust any of them except the one we know for the longest.

• I had one It was the best

• Well some people around my neighbourhood do have rottweilers, and they have seemed well behaved to me. But don't know them that well. I think how you raise a dog to be matters a lot. That being said even I've heard that rottweilers can be hard to deal with and are super aggressive. They are considered to me more dangerous than Pitbulls.

• Why do people own the American Pitbull Terrier?
    Why do people own the German Shepherd?
    Why do people own the Akita Inu?

Stop blaming the breed, and blame irresponsible owners like Michael Vick for causing dogs to be aggressive. Dogs are the closest animals to humans, and we like to act that it is responsible when the Owner is the human that is. :/.

• I know plenty of people with rottweilers and they're the friendliest dogs that i know, and aren't scary looking at all

• Yes they do

• I have a rottweiler named nibbles and he's super chill and tame

• Naturally aggressive, make good guard dogs

• They're owned mostly by douche bag, macho guys cuz it makes them feel tough. same reason they own pit bulls.

What Girls Said 10

• i think theyre adorable :)

they can be taken care of just fine by their owner. dogs are like humans. some are just more aggressive than others.
    ill be damned lol... generalisations applying to animals as well :P #generalisation142

• Rottweilers were trained as guard dogs. The same effort that made them territorial has now made them sweeter. Yay for selective breeding. Anyways, it's a mixture of parent temperament and how the animal is raised.

Also, you thinking that they are scary looking is completely subjective and not a fact.

• Because they deserve love to?

• I forgot that I did made an updated. There was only one Rotty I fully trusted but that's because both my friend and I saw it and grew up with her when she was a puppy. I would actually have to know it so well. I can't just trust a random adult Rotty.

• Thats fine and I can't just trust a pitbull or any big dog in gen or ones that may show agression but they should be around. You dont have to deal with them. No big deal.

• The dogs aren't dangerous, it usually shitty owners that make them dangerous.

• Well they do tend to get very territorial. I only trusted one... but that's different. Both my friend and I saw her and grew up with her ever since she was a pup and well know her better so she's trusted. But apart from that, I'm not into easily trusting any adult Rotty.

• That literally made no sense

• What makes dogs like pit bulls, rottweilers, German sherpards, and others look bad is poor training I believe. Now I personally might not go for any of these dogs because if the career I want and because I know that I wouldn't have the time to properly train these dogs.

• You don't deserve a rotty.

• Just like any breed, if trained properly, they make great pets.

• That's kind of mean. We bred them that way and now what? Just toss them out on the street? They deserve a home just as much as any other dog.

• Those and pit bulls. They should just an people as having them as pets. Their instincts are too raw and they can literally kill someone due to bad owners who don't understand how to keep them safe from others and themselves.

• Pit bulls are actually rather harmless when treated right, and can be more friendly than any other dog you meet.
      www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a10474-reasons-why-pit-bulls-are-awesome

• Pit bulls are so not harmless! You know how many have kids have actually been killed by pit bulls in the U. S. ? I don't blame the dogs they are only doing what they do, but I don't think people should own them period.

• yes but I've only run into nice pitts my whole life. They were as nice as other dogs. With the exception of our best Rott friend, a couple other were at the gates barking excessively to anyone passing by and acting in such a scary way.. not very friend. The other dogs aren't that territorial.