'Aren't I?' OR 'am I not?' .. Which one is grammatically correct?

• Aren't I?
  • Am I not?
  • Both
  • I'm not sure

Most Helpful Guy

• Either one is appropriate in different contexts.

Source: former English teacher.

• Can you give some examples?

• Thank you, I think this explained it all for me.

• They are nearly interchangeable, though, and my interpretation could be specific to my region.

What Girls Said 5

• I use 'Aren't I"

• I don't really think it matters. Both have similar meanings.

• I'm pretty sure its Am I not? But quite often we use Aren't I? I remember my first ever English lesson, considering English is my second language, was : I Am, You are, He - She- It Is, We Are, You Are, They Are.. So then you just reverse that if asking a question. But they could both be right, who knows.

• I used to think the same, but I saw a lot of Americans using 'aren't I' so this is why I asked this.

• Maybe they are both correct but Aren't I is more common in the western living countries.

• @asker Americans are cray cray, but I love them <3 lol

• I have never heard of Am I not but it might be correct as well , but i guess Aren't I is more common maybe !

• I'm not sure but I remember I was taught to use 'I am, aren't I?' so I'll go with that.

What Guys Said 9

• I am no grammar major or anything close but I chose C

• 'Aren't I' is grammatically incorrect, as it is a shorter form of 'Are I not'. However, it is often used in informal speech.

• I think both are correct just one is more formal than the other.

• Both are correct.. but 'Am I not?' would not qualify as a question tag.. "Aren't I?" would.

• Disagree. "Am I not?" works well as a question tag in my dialect. (Upper Midwest)

• Unless you're an aspy with a specialty in writing, I'll stick with my opinion. It works for me, written or spoken (because honestly, when are you going to use it written when it's not in quotation marks (implied spoken)?).

• Well.. now that you've bought it down to dialects.. I can't argue. Nothing is wrong and nothing is right. In some parts of Britain, they say 'me' instead of 'my'. Like 'It's me hat'. Now someone will say that saying me is wrong. But they can say.. as you said.. "works well in my dialect "

• Am I not? Is correct... becz aren't i? Just feels wrong to be spoken

• Actually I hear 'aren't i' more than 'am I not'

• Then maybe both of them are correct becz I hear more am I nots'

• Nobody around here would say "Aren't I". It just doesn't sound right.

I don't think "Am I not" is wrong but what people would say is "Amn't I" from "Am not I".

• "Aren't" is old English , just like "isn't it"... is not it

• "am I not" is more formal but both will do

• 'Aren't I?' could cause confusion as it means Are not I which sounds wrong, but it is correct. Am I not is also correct.