English grammar question! "are" vs "is" for a group name?

My friend is writing a description about their theatre group, "SUNFLOWER"(*name slightly modified) There are 5 people, none of them native English speakers (me neither).

When they introduce themselves, they say "Hey everyone, we are SUNFLOWER!!" And on their homepage their group description reads: "SUNFLOWER are John, Steve, Mike, Kim, and Joyce" (*names slightly modified)

I'm having trouble with this because I can't figure out if it's supposed to be "are" or "is" with the name list. Like if they say Sunflower consists of ABCDE I guess that's fine, but SUNFLOWER is ABCDE also sounds weird? I suppose "We are ABCDE" also works but then it doesn't emphasize the group name. Can someone please tell me (1) whether or not that "are" is weird and (2) how to fix this weird sentence? Thank you so much!!

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it is correct because
    The plural (ABCDE ) are sunflower but
    The single entity (SUNFLOWER ) is made up of A, B, C, D, E

What Guys Said 5

• Are is fine or could write sunflower is a group containing or made up with the following people...

• Use "are" for plural nouns.

"They are going to the movies together."

Use "is" for singular nouns.

"The dog is chasing his tail."

• it actually depends on what you meant.
    if you mean the member of the group, ARE is ok.
    if you mean group as a whoke, IS is ok.

• I'm stumped 😏

• The phrasing sounds wrong. "SUNFLOWER includes John, Steve, Mike, Kim, and Joyce" is better,

What Girls Said 0