Do you think colleges and universities have lost sight of their purpose?

We should be sending students who are inventing, engineering, creating, solving, and discovering cures to colleges and universities for free. Not the quarterbacks or wide recievers or shooting guards for free. We should return colleges and universities to what they were intended for... not minor leagues for professional sports. They have become irrelevant and more expensive than they are worth.

Most Helpful Guy

• Ehh I can't agree on the free thing, I would say they should have more scholarships open for these fields though to give students a chance to get those and then get into those fields.

Also I will add that those that get sports scholarships do not go to college for free, only full athletic scholarships pay for A “full” athletic scholarship covers the following costs of college: tuition, certain course-related fees, room and board, and the value or provision of books.

While a normal athletic scholarship may not cover all student fees, and also may not cover things like parking fines, a single room in the dorm, library fines or late fees, etc.

And some scholarships are done like this

In NCAA Division I, the following sports are “head-count” sports: men’s and women’s basketball, football, women’s gymnastics, women’s tennis, and women’s volleyball. All other Division I sports, as well as all Division II sports, are “equivalency” sports. In equivalency sports, coaches can divide their scholarships up as they desire, as they long as they do not exceed the total allowable scholarship value available in their sport. A few examples in Division I are baseball with 11.7, softball with 12, and wrestling with 9.9 scholarships. One athlete on the team may be provided with the cost of tuition, a second athlete on the team may be provided with room and board, and a third athlete on the team may only be provided the value or use of books.

So it's not exactly as simple as you make it out to be.

What Girls Said 15

• Collegiate sports are not a big thing in Canada at all, they're just a side thing alongside the actual academic part of university. It seems that some American schools are the same way, but from my perspective whenever I hear about an American university, it's always to do with sports. Mostly football. Tuition is so high at those schools because you're all paying for these guys to go play sports for free. The money has to come from somewhere and it's coming from the rest of the students who are actually there to get an education.

• College sports generates crazy money. The extra tuition is a price gouge due to increased popularity of the school due to the sports.

• Well actually they can use their sports scholarships for learning actual fields, not just playing sports and college sports generate a lot of money.

• Hmm, tough question kind of.
    Not necessarily, I mean when people get scholarships to colleges, its really more so good than bad because most people can't afford college.
    So i'm glad scholarships are there, but you may be right about sports.
    People can get scholarships by sports? Like, why? If you're not smart enough to get into college and need sports to do it, its your own problem, if you didn't try hard enough in school you should be going to a sorority or something, or at least not as good of a college, those spots are reserved for people who did their best in school.
    Also, colleges would rather have a kid who shines in a bad school, than someone who does average in a very hard school, which is really unfair.
    Because, they're really on the same level of education, only one took a risk and one didn't.
    The sports also does really downgrade the purpose of college! College is for education, to even more so prepare you for the real world and getting on your feet. I get that some people want to major in sports, and thats 100% ok, but if they're going to addition sports into colleges, it shouldn't be a huge part of the college, it should be for extra activities and fun, if someone wants to major in sports there should be separate colleges for sports which there are.

• I think most people agree that there is no practical purpose for playing foot ball - it doesn't benefit the economy and doesn't provide food for people but sports exist to life school spirit and unite people who otherwise would not have much in common. Imagine if school was a place where you did nothing except memorize information for class and take tests - imagine if all the rooms were painted grey - if all the food options were oatmeal and unflavoured chicken - if nobody knew your name and you were just identified by a bar code. These USELESS activities build up school spirit and make academic life emotionally tolerable for people who are stressed out and depressed from being over worked.

• This isn't really a problem at my university so I can't say I have experience of it but I do agree that it's not fair that some people who play sports get placed above people who are studying very needed and crucial careers.

• Yep. Now I think it is turning towards where a undergrad degree is the norm (you need one) if you want to go anywhere in life (higher positions manager, supervisor, director) you need a masters. I have friends that just graduated and weren't planning to get their masters, but as soon as they got jobs they are all talking about going back to get masters because there is no opportunity for advancement without it.

• Yes I do, people pay outrageous amounts of money to go to school to learn how to do something they will not be able to do the rest of their life. Only to have to turn around and go to college again.

Or they get scholarships based on some sort of amazing sports feat, and the people who have the brains can't get one. Seems all mixed up to me.

• I think the real problem is that instead of viewing students as individual people, caring for them, and doing their very best to provide a top notch education in a safe and respectful environment- colleges like to see their students as little dollar signs running around drunk on campus and sleeping through classes taught by professors who just don't care anymore.

• They have lost site. At least in the US, they're more like political correctness indoctrination centers. I notice the effects.

• well talk for your own country, in most in European countries college is free or at least has very low fees and college sports isn't really thing

And I agree they should be free.

• Yes. As long as they're getting money though, I don't think they care.

• College is not just a educational institution its a business that's just how it is.

• Eh, that's just your opinion.

• Depends on a lot. I feel as though if I knew more about how colleges and universities work. I could put more input on it. Although, I really don't like a lot of them for certain reasons.

• Europe is no where nearly as expensive as the US. Yes, they have lost all set of purpose.

• Yes they have.

What Guys Said 58

• Colleges have become glorified trade schools that just steal extra revenue from the pockets of innocent people in hopes that their "degree" will get them a job. When someone asks why they need to take all the irrelevant courses to their major the college gives the bogus excuse of "to make you a well rounded individual" and if the colleges really were aiming for that, then students should have been given the opportunity to audit those classes for free.

You work your tail off, get a piece of paper then find out the employers are taking lesser qualified people because they can pay less. The system is screwed. I know people personally going through this now. College is a scam. Networking is where it is at. Most kids in college learn to network and that is how they get their jobs. The colleges do very little.

• The Politically-Incorrect Guide to Western Civilization contains a whole page in their discussion on ancient Greek vs. modern American universities, which seems to concur with your suspicions. It's worth a read.

However, sports aren't the only reason that universities have lost their way. By *no* means have they lost their way for that reason alone. The Guide to the Sixties book elaborates on that even further.

The wholesale hijacking of American education needs to be addressed more. It appears that even in religious schools, there's an unwritten rule of faculty omerta on the subject.

• "We should be sending students who are inventing, engineering, creating, solving, and discovering cures to colleges and universities for free. " I said the same thing like shouldn't college be free for people willing to search for a cure for cancer or something? But I guess money > everything else

• I think that most of the educational system has taken a sharp downturn, obviously academics should be rewarded more and emphasized more, it should be more equal among all places in the U. S. and we should strive to find the teaching methods that best work to teach our future generations. Instead we have a system that is poorly run overall where money is the only thing that matters and there is unequal distribution of the funds that are required, all the while the standards seem to be getting lower. Honestly there is a lot more that could be said but when it comes down to it the educational system currently doesn't have it priorities straight.

• That's mainly the problem with American colleges, minus the Ivy League schools. College sports is basically free money for the schools themselves. College football and basketball players don't make salaries like NBA/NFL players do, in fact they don't make any salaries at all. The only real compensation they get is free tuition and dorm rooms, plus expenses for when they have to travel for their games. The players basically make next to nothing, they just got to school for free, but yet the schools themselves make a cumulative profit of almost a billion dollars a year.

• money is power

• I've encountered enough people with a secondary education who miss the purpose of having one.

There are avenues besides sports to get your college paid for, one is if your parents are cool enough to allow you a place to live while you work full time to pay your own tuition and be a full-time student. Another is GI Bill from military. Take your pick. But taking on student loan debt is rarely worth it.

• You are literally doing college/University life wrong if you don't use it for hooking up with the opposite sex, and forming strong social circle. The point of college is to form social circle and get the qualification needed for a job. Your imoplementation would only be rleevant for post graduates.

• It's all about making money. The government gave a bunch of money to colleges/universities so they could afford to teach for free, and they just RAISED the price of tuition. Then the government gave a bunch of money to students so they could afford to basically go to school for free, and they RAISED the price of tuition again. It's been raised over 1000% in a decade and keeps getting higher. And job placement rates are pretty pitiful for most of those degrees. It's a big scam in my opinion.

• America in general has lost site.

Smart people are ridiculed/made fun of, retarded sports stars are the big guys on campus.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter in the slightest that someone was the star quarterback during college if it didn't get them to the pros.

• colleges dont care about their students they care about money. their methods of teaching are awful "if you get the little i teach you then fine if you dont not my problem"

and i agree its become more expensive than its worth they expect you to pay of the debt of 60-80k only 6months after you graduate.

• I agree completely. What is more frustrating is that it spawns a “don’t ask, don’t tell” culture because the people associated with sports are so valued. Then you end up with date rape and Jerry Sandusky.

By the way, university is free throughout most of the EU.

• And colleges and universities should not be used as political indoctrination centers for the left.

• That's not even the problem - the problem is that they are run as businesses and offer worthless degrees and certificates to make more money.

• I totally agree, but the problem lies in the fact that sports generates a ton of money for universities. If they stop giving handouts to athletes, then their sports programs won't get the good athletes needed to bring in ticket and merchandise sales. In turn, everyone else would have to pay much higher tuitions.

It sucks, but it makes sense from a business standpoint.

• It's called supply and demand buddy. If people demand quarter backs instead of something cool happenning in technology ten years later, any organization in the whole world will provide quarterbacks instead of geeks to them. You're right, but it's what people did themselves to universities.

• Expensive? College athletes aren't getting paid! #Ignorant

College sports makes so much money for through top sports colleges... who would leave billion plus dollars on the table for nothing.

• It's expensive for everyone else.

• The sports at said school make the school more popular... therefore they can get away with charging more tuition because the school's profile is raised!

The only way to counteract that, is for prospective college students to go on strike and not go to Alabama, USC, Ohio State, Texas, etc... but that's not gonna happen, because the social atmosphere and partying circled AROUND the sports!

Do u think prospective students (most of them being 17-18 year olds), are willing to go on strike for lower tuition for the future students, knowing how short-sighted and self-serving teens and very young adults tend to be? :-P

• @Anno_Domini please read above

• The sports scholarship scheme seems to be a US phenomeon

• European style thus?

• I agree with the point you are making. The priorities for universities are certainly a little messed up to say the least.

• No, actually I think that the global culture has lost sight of it's vision. Mankind is becoming too driven by the sciences and the tangibles and beginning to effectively ignore huge parts of himself.

• They haven't lost their purpose.
    They are still producing financial slaves for banks that give out loans.

• Wasn't a problem where I went - no athletic scholarships. I think a lot of schools are like that. But at some places the alumni put a lot of emphasis on success in sports, and so successful sports programs = more donations.

• Research who owns the schoolbooks... Yeah shocking isn't it.

Aren't you smart enough to realize that it's ipurposely unfair so that a tiny few can be filthy rich at the expense of the majority? Or are you going to deny what I say and be stuck as a pawn in a game you will never win?

• Yes, and they lost sight years ago. It's one of the main reasons I elected to go to Job Corps instead of collage.

• Colleges and universities need to be destroyed. They are holding humans back from reaching their true potential. Everyone who went to colleges and universities should be entitled to a full refund. They are the biggest scams of today's world. If colleges and universities are to remain, I suggest they become free like the ones in Germany.

• Yes, they're money hungry.

• No. Their purpose has always been to rip you off by providing you with a piece of paper that PROVES you know about a certain subject, when really, that should be proven by your active knowledge of it on the job.

• Well at times I feel like it put people in debt with no career being promise to people. I think it should have jobs line up for students before they graduate.

• All education should be free, I see it as a human right and so do the socialist nations in Europe .

• More from Guys
    28