Disciplining? What do you think of this? Did you get physically disciplined when you were younger?

Here in Australia, physical discipline is frowned upon us now.
However, I don't care. If I am ever unlucky enough to have children, I will give them a woop ass. This is how I was raised and I thank my parents for this.

Who here got physically disciplined when they were younger? And up to what age? I got my ass wooped up until 17.

Most Helpful Guy

• I got beaten. It was awesome.

What Guys Said 13

• I never got hit one single time. My parents raised me with love, not with violence. Using violence only shows how incapable you are. People who are good at whatever they do (including parenting) don't need any violence. I wonder why you thank your parents for hitting you. Would you also thank your dad for molesting you?
    I hope you'll never have children. Cuz it won't be you who's unlucky, it will be them.

• With structure, and with showing the child love afterwards, Yes spanking is a good tactic to use sparingly.

Too many parents I've known spank their kids, and the kids (as in my peers) felt they got spanked because their parents were mad at them and wanted to take their anger out on them!

#NotCool

• My parents were very liberal with their disciplining techniques. 'Spare the rod, spoilt the child,' they said. 'It's for your own good,' they said. At the time I didn't think so, but seeing how I could have turned out, I think they did alright.
    At the age of 17 though, and having lied to my mum about something, who was about a foot shorter than me, was funny as she ended up punching me in the stomach... she got so frustrated because it wasn't doing anything except hurting her hands. I felt a lot of remorse that I brought her to that point and apologised. But I had to laugh afterwards because it looked ridiculous

• I did, and I won't be doing that

• I never got touched and I was a spoilt brat. I would have slapped me.

• Not very often. Up to about age ten. I wasn't stupid and my parents were/are intelligent enough to know that communication is better. My younger sister... never physically disciplined. Taking my games/system or computer/computer access was always way worse than any physical punishment they could dish out. They knew that. Then by 16 I had a car handed down, still in my moms name. There was nothing more important than driving privileged. Nothing worth having that taken away.

• There is a difference between abuse and discipline. I believe in physically disciplining children, if you don't show them who is boss they will attempt to talk back to you and walk all over you. Usually younger children need it more, and obviously teaching and counselling children is just as important as discipline is.

• Counselling? No wonder white parents suffer from their kids getting pregnant at fucking fetus.

• @asker I meant counselling as in advising, coaching etc. Not counselling like mental health counsellors.

• And that's why my parents put me in martial arts. Parents yelled at me, martial arts beat it into me.

• I did. That was how it was done in my era. We've gone soft, if you ask me.

• I was, but only as a last resort.

• I was physically disciplined up until I was 11. By then I had learned the ways of the ninja.

• I never got hit a lot as a child and I'm grateful

• Hitting someone is the sign of a weak vocabulary and a low IQ.

What Girls Said 6

• i will be spanking my children. kids very rarely act right just because. they need to be scared of the ass whopping

• It's okay I guess if you know how to do it right.

The "ass whopping" where the parent makes the child bend down on their lap kind of makes it odd. :p

Physical disicipline should be the last thing to use.
    Also, some parents do it too much and too extreme.

That's not good.
    If the parents goes for that method for every little wrong thing their kids do, that won't teach them anything good.

Plus, it sounds like lazy parenting to me.

I did get a few times on my arms :p but that was when I really crossed it.
    I was way younger.

My parents stopped at age 11 for me.

Anyway, I think when disciplining the kid for something he did wrong, the parents should be teaching him a lesson instead of just punishing.

And discipline should start from when they are young. (Not physical one)

There are lots of productive ways to discipline and teach lessons to kids.

:)

• Yes and no, I don't thank him for that. I will not use that method if I ever had kids. I carry some resentment for my father.

• I was never physically disciplined by my parents as a child.

• You must have been a good kid o. O

• Oh I am so sorry... :( <3

• Thanks, but I am totally fine. I have always been strong-willed. I deal with whatever life throws at me and I move on. Things can bring us down temporarily, but forging through to overcoming them and becoming a better person for these life-lessons makes for a stronger person. Unfortunately, not everyone can handle what they go through in life and they become angry, bitter, resentful, depressed, suicidal, etc. That's the real tragedy. Positivity and strength of character go a long way.

• Till age 17? Dang.

I was, till I was 13. I wouldn't discipline anyone the way I was. In the U. S it's also frowned upon. My parents aren't from her so they couldn't have cared less.

• I did and would never do that to a child.