Are catholics/Roman catholics considered Christians?

If not, then what's the difference between the beliefs of the 2.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes Catholicism is a denomination of Christianity similar to Sunni or Shiite being different forms of Islam. There are some Muslims that don't consider Sufi to be true Islam which is similar to some protestant Christians not thinking Catholics are true Christians. I think I heard once that Christianity has over 20,000 different denominations mostly falling under the branches of Protestantism since they don't have a centralized system like in Catholicism. Protestants and Catholics, along with the Eastern Orthodox traditions, all fall under the umbrella of Christianity though. There is a movement particularly in the United States that tries to discredit Catholics and say they aren't real Christians. They give all kinds of 'reasons' like they worship Mary and the Pope. It's all a bunch of bullshit when it comes down to it because something all Christians have in common is that they worship God in the trinity (father, son, holy spirit/ghost). Most of the basics are pretty similar even if they worship differently or with different traditions.

Keep in mind I'm not Christian so I hope I represented everyone properly. Feel free to correct any aspect that I have incorrect.

What Girls Said 6

• Yes. There are just many branches of Christianity, which I myself dont know all to mention them. Catholicism is just a branch of Christianity. So yes we are Christians.
    As for the reason for those many branches, sometimes it's just minor details that solit us apart. For example, lutheran or protestants do not like to have statues, etc figures of saints. They think its like having idols. But I think the main douctrine is the same.

• Well, there are a bunch of different catholic churches. I dont know why you specifically mentioned Roman Catholics... did you mean to. Like Marionites vs. Roman Catholics, Vs. Greek Orthodox? Or did you mean the whole Catholic Church?
    But yes they are Christians. The Church is the same Church that Peter founded. I dont think you can say they are not.

• I meant the whole Catholic Church, anyway but the link that @reserved gave me says something else, why?

• oh, just because they have slightly different practices even though they all unite under the pope. I saw him once in Rome. I wasn't 2 feet away from him. He seems like a great man, kind, from the stories about him.

• Yes they are considered Christians by most people.

• Ofcourse. Every faith that believes Christ is a prophet is Christian basically.

• Indeed, one could consider Muslims to be Christians too.

• one could eve consider Muslims to be heretic Catholics:
      Part of their theology goes all the way back to Arianus of Alexandria and Arianus was present à the Nicea Council in 325 CE (Legend says he was declared heretic and expulsed after a fight with ao Saint Nicholas.)
      At that moment they already named themselves 'Catholic'.

Protestants and other Lutherans split off from the RC church after Luther nailed his 95 thesess against the RC church at the doors of the church in Wittenberg, Germany, in 1517.

This gives you some of the Christian denominations:
      catholic-resources.org/.../...tianity-Branches.htm

• Yes, I am Catholic. It is a denomination that has separate beliefs from other denominations. We are the only one that believes in the virgin birth, and unlike JWs and a couple of others I think, the only ones that believe in the trinity.

• correction believing in the trinity is the basic of christianity, I don;t think we are the only ones who believes in the virgin birth but we do believe she stayed virgin..

• @vekin

I don't think JW's and Mormons believe in the trinity though right? They're not exactly the same as Christian though I guess. I know JW's don't.

That's what a Catholic pastor told me is that we were the only ones that believed in the virgin birth... but yeah I guess in other denominations they say that they had sexual relations after the birth.

• If JW and mormons doens't believe in the trinity then they aren't christian. But catholics, orthodox christians, protestants, baptists and all those other do believe in that...

They confucion because in the bible is written about Jesus' brothers... but that could be other kind of family too or the sons of Joseph maybe

• yeah, those are a quite large group of Christians (the ones with pope Francis)
    Other than Catholics there are also a lot of Protestants and smaller groups of other Christians

What Guys Said 11

• By definition, yes they are Christian. Catholics were the first Christians. A Christian is defined as follower of Christ and his teachings. There are two types of Christian, Protestant and Catholic in the same way in Islam you have Suni and Shiite.

For context, think of a Protestant as a Quranist and the Catholic as the entirety of the faith. Catholicism is the church that Christ founded upon St Peter, his chosen apostle through the succession of saints to be his vicar on earth. Catholics hold the Bible to a high value and are considered Biblical christians. But also hand down the teachings and practices from Christ. There are differences and similarities but the core teachings are the same.

carm. org is a protestant author that is known for being profoundly anti catholic, here is a discussion the author (the first one to speak) has with a catholic so you can get some context
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HhD49s2_qE

• They're among the oldest existing Christian denominations.

• Any of the religions that have Christ has the main god would be considered christian I believe.

• definetely, they r a branch of christianism

• They are somewhat considered as one.

• Similar to other religions, some are more stricter than the others or have more belief than the others, but all in all it's somewhat the same

• Yes, they generally are considered Christians.

• 0|0
  • Uh-oh. I thought catholic and roman catholic was the same thing?

• I am roman catholic and yes that is christianity

• hmmm... perhaps read a book before asking silly questions.

• Ummm... So you don't know the answer, perhaps read that book that you are talking about before giving silly answers.

• trhen you have to make me... or you've proven you have asperger's and don't get the world. or realise i thought your question was stupid, and you don't accept others' opinions well. as a man yourself you need to accept that reality.

• sorry, you have asperger's. i like how you reckon you tell strangers how to behave lolol.

• They were the first Christians actually. If anything they're more than everyone else