How much do you tip waiters, and what makes you tip them more?

I'm a waitress, and I make less than half of minimum wage.

The place I work at isn't fancy, and the people don't tip well.

I don't think I give bad service. I smile, refill drinks, and don't hover over their meal.

So, what makes you tip a waitress?

By the way, the average meals is 9 bucks, but most people come in pairs or groups of 3.

I need this money to pay for school, rent, and food. But, I'm making absolutely nothing. I worked 4 hours one day and was paid 16 dollars.

Where is a Che Pierre when I need it?

• I usually don't tip despite the service
  • 1-3 dollars from me
  • 4-5 bucks
  • 6-10
  • more than 10

Most Helpful Guy

• 1. I tend to tip based on expected service immaterial of level of joint I'm dining at
    2. Level of service includes but not limited to friendliness of the waiter/waitress, cooperation, promptness in service, attentiveness, support etc
    3. I generally tip in advance as I go by the full form of TIPS - To Insure Proper Service
    4. My tips are generally in advance and amounts to a minimum of 20% (I don't calculate nor go by global standards of calculation) and post the service there are times I have gone beyond 100% if the services have touched me in some way
    5. Ofcourse there are times I go back cause the food was good but don't tip at all because the services were bad but these instances are so scarce that I can count on my finger tip
    6. Immaterial of point 5, I've never complained in a way as to affect the waiter/waitress' job in any way
    7. I always leave tips in cash and not add on to the card payment IF I pay by card :D

What Guys Said 16

• Ok this is a true story which i learned my lesson...

I was out with my friends and the wanted to go to a restaurant but some of us didn't have money (including me). So we went and long story short we got the bill... UGH... i did not have enought money on me and niether did my friend. So the girl was super nice and said SHE WILL PAY THE REST :o omg, i felt so bad cause this girl was like "aww it's ok, i will pay the $10 for you guys"... still to this day i go back just to give her the money but i don't see her there :(

I wanted to tip her cause she was so nice and full of energy and a beauty. :( i felt like an ass that night. But she was so nice to help pay though, i will never forget what she did.

• oh and i tip $4-5 dollars. i also carry like $80 with me, i used to be dumb 2 years ago (when this happend) and only carried like $20 with me.

• It depends I would usually tip about 20% on a cheaper dish maybe slightly higher

• My minimum is literally always about 6 bucks (lowered if they're assholes) but it raises depending on how polite they are and how good the service is.

The highest tip I ever gave was to this waitress, about 30 bucks but she really deserved it (The story of why I gave her this is to long, but she didn't deserve anything less).

• In Belgium, a 15% tip is always included in the price. That means waiters earn 15 % of the turnover of the business they're working in. Their tips can't be verified by the IRS. Tipping leads to tax cheating thus. I do NOT think it's a moral duty to patronize cheating on taxes.

• I do 20% because it's easy math.

I do 1/10 (of the bill before tax) x 2.

I've been a server before so I understand how closely they monitor tips as a representation of their performance.

• I usually tip 15% but sometimes less if I'm low on cash.
    Truth be told I only tip because it's something I've always done and never really thought about. Figured why not give a person a bit of extra money.

• I'm a good tipper in general, I know what it's like to work a job like that.

• About 20 percent always, if I get exceptional service sometimes 25%

• I usually tip the same way; about 10-15%

• I usually tip 18-20%

• 15% of whatever the total of the bill is

• I tip a flat.4

• 4-5

but i really don't want to.

• Haha does anyone want to pay the gap the business owner should be doing?

• Tipping is a part of the experience. People give you a service, wait on you, kiss your ass, all that for a few bucks to make up for their crappy paying jobs. Yeah, it's not mandatory, but it says a lot about a person who can afford to tip a good waiter but doesn't because they simply don't feel like it. And is that Dakota Fanning? @Nathand

• oh well... i still wouldn't do it.

and yes.

• Generally the rule is, you double the tax of the bill. But if it winds up to be an unever number, you round up to the nearest one, so if the tip winds up to be 1.70, you leave $2.00

• I normally don't have a lot of money, so my tips reflect that. So it generally ranges from 1-3 dollars. If I get excellent service I will jump up to about 5 bucks. I can't really afford to give more. I rarely even eat out, just because I don't have the money.

I don't like how it is legal to pay someone less than minimum wage, just because they get tips. They really need to change that law.

• They really do. Some people get paid as low as 1.75 an hour. That's basically free labor.

• I know it is true, but I don't know how in this day and age we allow it. It isn't right to pay someone so little. I knew one guy that got fired, because he refused to do the dishes when making so little. I don't blame him, he can't make any tips in the back washing dishes. Everybody keeps talking about raising the minimum wage, but I think that is stupid when there are still plenty of people making far below the minimum wage.

• I always leave 20% of my bill. Some people are just dicks and don't leave any.

What Girls Said 8

• i do 6-10$
    you're supposed to do like 20% but i ain't got time for that math.
    the tip definitely does depend on the servers attitude. if they're cheery, look/sound happy to be serving me, are friendly and caring, i'll give them a good tip. with most waitresses, you can tell the ones who really care and try to work hard apart from the ones who don't.
    i'll always tip, even if the server is shitty. ill just give them like 2-4$ if they sucked lol.
    usually if the bill is like 32$ i'll just give them an even 40 and tell them to keep the change.
    if it's 25$ ill give them like 32 or 33.. just whatever sounds good, really. and however much money i have on me.

• I don't tip waiters. In Denmark they are actually paid for their work, so we - the customers - don't have to do it.

• 15% of my bill.
    If I see others are giving them a hard time I tip them more.
    But anyways I thought that restaurants had to.. Give you the money? Like if you don't make at least min wage in your tips the restaurant had to make up for it or something like that.

• I don't understand the flat tip. The norm is a percentage of your bill. 15-20% is what is suggested. Of course if your service is bad, you can lower that , but someone who is attentive and does a good job should get 15-20%. Where I live a servers hourly pay is $2.15 an hour! And they often have to tip bartenders, hostess and bussers out of their tips. Please be kind to your servers and don't give them less than they deserve, because you are just a flat $4 tipper.

• Yeah, my friend was a busser but the place was packed all the time in a busy tourist city, so she got a lot of hours and loads of money in tips. But some places are definitely better than others. I would be happy with 4 haha, that's how bad it is where I work.

• I usually tip about 20%. So it really depends on what I got.

• People say 15 percent, I do 10 percent. The church only ask for 10 why should I give them more, I will go over if they're doing a good job and being polite. Normally for me, the majority of waiters are polite say I go way over.

• $16 for 4 hours... that's illegal if you're in a Western country. It's basically free labour.

I tip about 15%. A little more if they said hello, smiled and were polite, less if they didn't do those things. Big smiles and compliments go a really long way; acting rude/like you have a better place to be (even if you do), forgetting orders and taking a long time to bring drinks counts as bad service in my book. Hovering actually makes a waiter or waitress seem like they care more, whereas only stopping by to bring the meal and pick up the cheque makes you seem indifferent or lazy. Good luck!

• I get paid less than minimum wage and it's 100% legal, the terrible thing is that it's legal. And the people where I work tip horribly, so it takes me so long to make up for not making minimum wage (which again, sucks)

• Jeez. What country are you in?

I hate to say it, but when it comes to getting more tips, a little makeup, a flattering outfit and some flirting can get you a long way. For example: http://youtu.be/cz3zi8sweYA

• Haha, that's the thing. I was actually dressed really nice with a simple but great cat eye. Ugh :/
      And I'm in the US. I just can't bring myself to flirt with the mostly over 50 crowd, haha.

• i tip around 20%