What do you guys consider an alcoholic?

This subject to me is very weary with me because 1) I have been called or seen as an alcoholic even if it is "just a joke" and 2) I love drinking lol. So before you jump to conclusions, when I say I love drinking, I literally mean that and I'm not saying I NEED TO DRINK. I like going out with my real good friends and we love to bar hop, have fun, etc. We would always joke like if we got invited to somewhere, we would say "idk will there be alchohol?" lol cause its true you know. It's just all FUN nothing serious. So obviously people who don't get this think I have a drinking problem and its so irritating because the worst feeling about this is to convince others you're not an alcoholic. I'm like why even bother defending myself? I dont have to cause I dont have a drinking problem, I think its crazy that Im even associating myself with that subject. People like family and old friends think I'm like addicted. Ugh its so annoyinng like lighten up. Your attitude to something is really what make that situation, so if you treat me like I'm some alcoholic then I'm an alcoholic but if they all just take a chill pill and get it, I wouldn't look like an alcoholic! Its that simple. Some things that I think why they are more concerned with me is cause I am the baby of my family so everyone including cousins, aunts, etc are more weary around me, they are a little conservative but like to have fun every now and then, and with my friends, I don't know but they just saw how much fun I had in college so they think its all bad. Um try going to college and you'll see how much fun it is. Then well see whos judging. God. I advice to everyone to always stick with people with the same mindset as you or else you're fucked lol. So I like to consider myself a social drinker.

So what do you guys consider an alcoholic?

• Someone who needs to drink
  • Someone who loves to drink and get drunk and have fun
  • Someone who drinks a lot, not just to have fun, but just cause and it doesn't even get them drunk anymore
  • Other

Most Helpful Guy

• I voted "A" because that is the CORRECT explanation for an alcoholic. That is medically speaking and that's the definition I'm speaking about.

First of all, an alcoholic would rarely go out to any bars or clubs, nor would they go out at all. They more than likely wouldn't be studying in college OR have a job. These people, as I stated, DEPEND on drinking. They don't drink for fun: Heck, most of them admit drinking gets boring or they hate it, but they "need" to do it. I RARELY meet any alcoholics in our age group, at least here in the United States of America. I do meet social drinkers (as you said.) It's also very common for an alcoholics to experiment with hardcore drugs, such as cocaine, X, meth, heroin, crack, acid, etc. In a way, alcohol can be a gateway drug.

If you like to go out with your friends every now and then, and drinking solely for a good time, you're not an alcoholic. Sure, frequency can be an issue but the definition is someone who feels like the NEED to drink, not because they WANT to. People seem to forget that aspect of it.

In case you're wondering where I got this information from, my dad's doctor 25 years ago declared him an alcoholic because he was dependent on alcohol (my dad isn't anymore though.) My dad rarely went out to any bars and would sit at home, fight with my mom, and drink all the time (yet, he still went to work, ironically.) I'm glad I was a baby and didn't remember those days. Now, my dad drinks maybe five times a week but he doesn't get drunk due to his high tolerance and he solely drinks to RELAX (not because he NEEDS it.)

What Guys Said 5

• first I would say its an issue of how much you drink. Then how often. If the answer to both those meets a certain criteria than I would probably ask the 3rd and final question why do you need to drink to that degree that often. There are many kinds of alcoholics functioning and none. In the end its why you drink and how much. Example I dated a girl awhile back she drank every night of the week not always a lot but at least a few nights a week it was a lot. in my opinion from the short time we dated I can tell you she was harboring some pretty dark demons and that she was using the alcohol as a means to escape them and enjoy her life. Was it effecting her life? Nope. Did she realize it? Nope. But the fact is she had a problem and was solving it with alcohol. In the end the biggest thing is why do you drink? If you need to drink to have fun you might have issue, not always but some times.

• The way I view any potential problem is how it affects your life - If you hand on heart can say it is not affecting you then you are okay but if you are missing work/classes with hangovers, making bad calls etc maybe it is time to think about it.

• I consider anyone an alcoholic that makes me question them.. Example like I went on a little afternoon date with an old high school friend that I hooked up with before. It was 11am and she started taking shots telling me to get drunk with her on a weekday lol. She then went on to tell me all about her life issues lmao. You could imagine whether or not I called her back.

• are you addicted? then no, you're not.

• 1. When you go out to do something mundane, like hit up a movie theater or go to the beach, is alcohol usually a factor?

2. When you do drink, do you drink because you like the taste and enjoy the mild buzz you get, or do you drink just to get trashed?

3. Do you usually have a problem knowing when to stop, and wind up puking or feeling like shit?

If you answered yes to any of these, even though you might not fit the "traditional" definition, then there's a good chance you've got a drinking problem. And if you immediately discounted that statement as being ridiculous, then you definitely do.

What Girls Said 1

• I'm right there with you: my family believes anyone that drinks is an alcoholic. I drink, thus they think I have a problem. I'll admit I drank A LOT when I was in school. Almost every Friday and Saturday night and sometimes a night or two during the week. There was always a reason and people wanting to go out for fun. Sometimes I have one, sometimes I'm turning a support beam at the local bar in to a stripper pole. I started to get concerned because I realized how much I was drinking. Then I graduated, I moved, and next next thing I knew three months had gone by without me having a drink and I didn't even notice. I now drink MAYBE once every month or so simply because I don't have the opportunity, it doesn't fit into my current lifestyle. An alcoholic can't do that. They have to have that drink, that know when they don't, and they are counting down to their next one or adjusting the rest of their lives around in order to have that drink. I think the best test is going out for a night to a party or bar like you normally do and not drink. If you can make it without too much effort; you're fine.