I'm 27 and am STILL afraid of the dark!!! Will it ever pass?

Is there anything I can do to make the fear go away? 27 is too old to be scared of the dark as much as I am!!!

Most Helpful Guy

• Actually noctophobia is very common in humans throughout their entire lives.

What Guys Said 11

• just imagine scary shit watching you or stalking you or staring at you when you're in the dark, like when i sleep sometimes i picture some dead girl standing right next to my bed staring at me, it totally eases the tension and im like chillin. or when i get up ill imagine some fuck nut monster hiding in the corner of my closet staring at me, and im chillin again. i embrace the fear and now we're all great friends :P

• It's pretty common, even at your age. You need to contront the fear, walk right into dark rooms, holding hands with someone to reassure you... until you are no longer afraid.

• People are scared of all different things we all have fears. At least yours can be controlled with the flick of a switch...

• hey, every1 is scared of dark to some extent ( at least get uncomfortable)... imagine, it gets completely dark in a room and suddenly some1 puts his/her hand on your shoulder from behind!!! anyone could get spooked by that!!! I am scared of cats (a cat accidentally jumped on me when i was 7 or 8)... you can also go Christian Bale way!! but not every1 can find Ra's al Ghul, i guess...

• A lot of adults still afraid of dark - Quite normal

• I hope so; I'm 23 and still afraid of the dark. At least when people find out about your fear it's cute; I'm just a wimp who'll probably send your ass out to find out if the crashing sound was the cat knocking something over or a ghost monster trying to kill us.

• Hahahaha!!! It's not CUTE, its mildly embarrassing... But I get what u mean...
      There HAS to be something!!!

• My only remedy is putting a show that I like on repeat and hoping that the monster under my bed likes it too and is too busy watching it to eat me.

• This could be something that has happened in your past
    is what cause you to be afraid of the dark.

• everyone is afraid of something that is normal

• That's cute lol I suggest watching a scary movie with all the lights of at night the. It should take your fear away

• are you so scared to even pee yourself?

• no, i dont pee myself no matter how scared i get. but i'll run from the bedroom to the livingroom to get out of the dark because i get to scared to take my time.

• Don't warry, your kids will protect you soon

What Girls Said 8

• Pray? I angered this guy in University and he sends me death threats every 2-3 years and knows where I live but I'm not scared cause I know I won't die or get injured / hurt unless its God's will.

• Everyone is afraid of something, ways you can over come it is to face your fear and do this every night and be brave and it may wean you off your fear. if you can't be in darkness as long as you gave it a good try its fine you gave it your best shot. Everyone scared of something :)

• Get a night light like me lol.

• I thought I was the only one who was afraid of dark... I'm 23, by the way. Lol

• I am 18 and I still fear the dark as well !! The best way to overcome your fear is to face it. You fear the dark , then stay in the dark !! eventually you'll notice that nothing is there to be scared of and you'll be just fine as time passes :)

• No.. I'm 15 and have been afraid of the dark ever since the day I was born. That's why I always sleep with the light. you should try that.

• I would but hubby can't sleep with lights on... its not pitch black in our room, but like when I get up in the middle of night its dark in the rest of the house...

• you should get a night light or you should turn the lights on when he goes to sleep

• I am too. I read lots of Creepypastas.. which probably does not help at all.

• Do you sleep with your left arm (especially hand) close to your heart? I discovered that doing so invites nightmares - try not to