Human biology: What are animal instincts?

• Sex drive
  • Appetite
  • Fight/flight/freeze response
  • All of the above
Bonus question: what part of the brain is responsible for regulating these?

Most Helpful Girl

• All of them are, controlled by the reptilian brain :)

It's called the 'reptilian' brain because those brain structures and mechanisms are evolved from the reptile brain and reflect the instinct to survive, the oldest part of the brain. The rest of the brain, i. e. the neocortex and limbic system, are distinctly mammalian. They're responsible for emotion, reasoning, language and perception. It's the most recently evolved part of the brain.

What Guys Said 7

• seems like all of those to me.

• I think D and have no idea what part of the brain but I seem to remember the phrase the oldest part of the the brain, I was going to say limber but I saw limbic mentioned in another answer.

• All of those I believe. I wouldn't call them animal instincts, but natural. No one teaches us any of those things, they're inherently with us.

• Instinctive and natural are pretty much synonymous, lol.

• @Nuqood well, yeah, that's true, but I wouldn't have called them animal instincts, and in the science world as far as I know it's referred as natural instincts.

• Appetite isn't an instinct because it's not a behavior.
    Sex drive isn't an instinct because it's not a behavior.
    Obviously the response refers to a behavior.

• oh shit i didn't see the last one. i would of picked that that but my picked the next best thing appetite.

• D is it hypothalamus

• D u moo cow!

What Girls Said 2

• Vote A only because it seems the most developed

• The definition of instinct is a fixed pattern of behavior in response to stimuli.