We don't allow gay marriage, but divorce is okay?

I thinks there's a lot of hypocrisy in the Christian community. The divorce rate is literally 50%, I think the LGBT is only 3 or 4 % of the population. my friends just had a baby out of wedlock, she keep on judging everyone, but herself and if you point it out to her she got really mad. I am not gay, but I think people should live and let live as long they're not killing and do other illegal stuff. I also have my own sin to worry about I fell like it's not my place to pointing finger or judge anybody. Is just the hypocrisy of some of them.
whatdo you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• I agree completely (though I wouldn't call homosexuality or divorce a sin). I wish everyone could just be tolerant and live after the motto "live and let live". The problem with many religious people is that they're faith is anything but tolerant. It destroys people's morals and character from within. They become intolerant and ignorant idiots who think they have some kind of god-given right to shove down their opinions down other people's throats. They claim that their religion is about love but when I look at it as an atheist, it's everything but. There's nobody else who discriminates and spreads so much as religious people, be it discriminating against gay people or stoning women for sleeping with another guy or any of that bullshit. Steven Weinberg, one of the most famous theoretical particle physicists once said something very true: "With or without religion, you'd have good people doing good things and bad people doing bad things. But for good people to do bad things, it takes religion."

• I agreed with you until you got to the part about tolerant atheists. I've met a few atheists who liked to say they were tolerant of others but were just as happy to judge you as any fundie.

• Of course there are atheists who are idiots. I would never deny that. There are idiots everywhere. But this would bring us back to Steven Weinberg. There are intolerant atheists and there are intolerant fundies. But for an otherwise tolerant person to become intolerant, it takes religion. I've got a good example for this. Yesterday I was having a discussion on here with a 15 year old girl (child, I'm tempted to say) who was very strong about her homophobia, claiming that god says homosexuality was an abomination and that gays should be stoned as it says in the bible (Leviticus). Now, I don't think that's a normal thing to say for a healthy, average 15-year old. If I asked my non-religious teenage cousin about homosexuality, he'd probably say that he doesn't care much about it... which is a normal thing to say if you're not gay yourself. It's like asking "what do you think about people from Cameroon?" Well, if you're not from Cameroon and you don't know anyone from there, you probably

• don't have much of an opinion about them. For a 15-year old girl to have such intense hatred, such bloodthirstiness and such agonizing intolerance, it takes religion.

What Guys Said 12

• Christianity is has so many contradictory statements that just about anyone can cherry pick parts that they like to justify almost anything.

Debating Christians is usually pointless though. You can not use logic to get someone to chance their stance if they did not use logic to arrive at their original conclusion.

• exactly the issue with using religion as a tool to argue against lots of issues. there is always hypocrisy to their position very apparent and frequent occurring within the religion and church itself

• Very well stated - I totally agree with you

• Divorce is NOT ok. Thanks to Ronald Reagan people can get divorced for absolutely no reason, and that's what they do. Western society has lost all morality and will fall.

• We'll probably wind up under radical Islamic extremism. I'd love to hear the atheists whine and cry THEN. They have it good now.

• If they whine, the muslims will drag them out into the street and kill them with a brick or cut their head off

• Those women who file for divorce aren't Christians. And neither are the ones who slut around and have several bastard kids then get married.

• What's funny is, the exact group you're in would be scorning and mocking anyone who said that divorce is bad.

Then you turn around and say that because divorce is legal, gay marriage should be?

• I don't care about two people divorcing, it's their business not mine.

• See? If a bunch of people were trying to ban no fault divorce, you'd be calling them whatever insult was fashionable that week, keying their cars, whatever.

And then you cite that as reason why gay marriage should be allowed?

• LMAO! !!! Ridiculous.

• I just dont care about gay marriage

• This was a really hard read, what was your point?

• Are you suggesting that a Christian might be *gasp* hypocritical? lol I agree with what you are saying. I see lots of Christians talking about how it needs to be illegal because it is a sin, yet they don't want to make sex out of wedlock a crime. Nor do they want to make divorce illegal. That is the thing about religion. People pick and choose what parts to follow, and which parts to ignore.

• That's not the fault of Christianity. It's the fault of the Christians who choose not to follow it.

• I wasn't talking about Christianity. I was talking about the Christians that are hypocrites when it comes to which sins they want to fight against, and which sins they want to overlook. These people pick apart their religion, throwing out whatever they don't want to follow, while using other parts to justify taking another persons rights from them.

• Not all Christians accept divorce you know. Only the modernist liberal Christians do.

• People who are homophobic and anti-same sex marriage... can easily be found to be hypocritical...

What Girls Said 6

• I don't get it either honestly. When I go to church I get a sermon on how to stay faithful or live a good life by helping others. When I hear excerpts from sermons online they're usually about judging other people and telling other people how bad they are. That's not being a good Christian in my mind. That's not even being a good person.

If someone makes a "mistake" in their life, they don't need judgement. They need understanding and support so they can get back on track. Leave the judging for god and focus on the charity of the human spirit instead.

www.queerty.com/this-flow-chart-that-destroys-religions-case-against-gay-marriage-is-so-easy-any-zealot-can-use-it-20150506

• The hypocrisy isn't with the Christian religion, it's with the individual. Divorce is also not supposed to happen unless one spouse is committing a sin against the marriage. For instance, when one spouse commits adultery. Children out of wedlock is also not supposed to happen. The same for judging others. People are quick to blame the Christian religion and to put down all Christians, but it is not the religion, nor is it all people. The problem is that those who go to church, read the bible, etc only hear certain things. They don't know the entire word and/or they interpret what they hear to mean a certain thing. They also live only what is easiest for them. They struggle with one sin and so they shyvaway from others. They believe this makes up for it. The word says that we should be telling the truth about what God wants for us. People think that this means we should be pushing our beliefs on others in order to save them. What they fail to realize is that the word also states that we should worry about the needle in our own eye before we worry about the needle in someone else's eye. This means that we shouldn't be worrying about their sins when we have our own. People don't know, realize and/or understand that the word is telling us as individuals not to do this or that, but that we ultimately need to worry about that for ourselves. Yes, spread our knowledge of the word, but don't judge or force it on people. It warns us agaisnt becoming like others (basically called peer pressure) that don't live right, even if that means disassociating with someone for our own good. Not because that person is so bad that we need to shun them, but because we are weak. We are to still love the sinner, but hate the sin. Hate the sin for ourselves so we don't sin, but not hate someone else because they sin. This goes for any sin. It's a balancing act and people don't know how to do that. Jesus love Mary Magdalene and he befriended her. She was a whore, among other things. He told he that she was a sinner and told her to stop. He was still her friend and someone he loves. Jesus had the right to tell her what she was doing wrong. He also was not a sinner. We are sinners and have no right to judge another sinner, to tell them that they are wrong or to hate/mistreat them for their sins.

• Most Christians don't believe in divorce although divorce is not a sin contrary to liberal belief.

• First of all you need to calm down. Second of all, I am a Christian but I haven't ever said anything mean towards gay people and weather they should be married or not. Third of all, my opinion my business.

• And someone who want to take it up there butt is their business also, not yours.

• Never said it was... I am sensing awkwardness soo.. bye

• agreed, well said

• Like you said it's not your place to judge who's right or wrong live your own life well and let others live for themselves.