Should smoking cigarettes in a car or home with kids be considered child abuse?

Should it be considered child abuse and a crime?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes yes yes and yes. Smoking is the smokers choice, they (most likely) know and accept the health risks. But their kids didn't. They should get the opportunity to live a normal healthy life and not suffer consiquences for the bad choices of their parents and the impact of second hand smoke. Would a coke addict force their kids to snort a line because that's the substance they themselves used? I sure as hell hope not

• second hand smoke does not hurt anyone. If you look at all of the studies, it is harmless. The CDC concluded after looking at the studies that while they don't like it, no evidence was found for negative health effects.

• I know they sponsored them. But they knew that it wasn't a bad thing. It was politics. I studied the carcinogens in cigarette smoke. I was a research molecular biologist and have a PhD in the field. You can't believe all that you read when it comes in sound bites and news blips. Second hand smoke has to be in concentrations so high that it would be impossible to replicate them unless you had a cigarette in your mouth. Stupid? lol - no - people that just repeat media babble - that is stupid.

• Kind of reminds me of how Obama blames his daughter's asthma on "global warming" not his smoking.

What Girls Said 6

• I'm not sure... On one hand smoking does lead to asthma and other lung problems plus it makes it more likely that the kids will smoke too. I think the thing about smoking is that the kids usually see negative effects from it if it's a long term thing. Like if the parent smokes with them in the car or house every day it's a problem. But if it's less? Eh it could be difficult to legislate and I hate the idea of children not getting the protection they need. I honestly don't know :/

• It is a crime where I live to smoke in the house and car that kids are in

• Especially asthmatics and babies, my aunt had been baby sat by neighbors who chain smoked all day right above her crib, she ended up becoming asthmatic after that.

• Yes. I cringe everytime I see people smoking as they carry their baby in a buggy. If my future husband would be a smoker and we're outside with the baby, then I wouldn't let him smoke beside the baby. It's either don't smoke or walk 20m behind us.

• it should b avoided...

• It's disgusting and horrible parenting, but I think "child abuse" is taking it too far.

What Guys Said 10

• I don't think it should be a crime because I don't think the government should regulate such things. It just seems a little too much in my opinion. Having said that however, I certainly believe that smoking next to children should definitely be avoided. It's not fair towards the children (or indeed, any other non-smoker).

• I noticed that a few people mentioned the CDC 'proving' that second hand smoke doesn't harm.

So fucking what?

I or any future child of mine deserve the priority of breathing fresh air over you enjoying your stupid cig, even if it doesn't hurt me.

Take that shit somewhere else.

• Actually those people are wrong I can't remember who it was but there was a police officer who was talking to my class or something in the past and he was talking about how he knew or this happened to him but there were 2 partners (police officers) and one smoked in the car and the other didn't smoke at all. The police officer who didn't smoke at all ended up getting lung cancer from the second hand smoke and died... so ya just saying

• Why on earth would this be child abuse? Second hand smoke does not hurt anyone, even the CDC concludes this. It took locking rats in 1x1 tanks with the smoke of a pack a day to see any effects of smoking. That was like turning the rat cage into a bong.

• You mean they had to hotbox the ratcage

• don't know what a hotbox is, but I assume yes. They used a sealed plexiglass box ventilated only with a hose of cigarette smoke

• It definitely shouldn't be done but abuse or a crime is a bit far.

• No because that would enable cps to rip families apart because someone smoked a cigarette in their own home or car. That would be crazy 1984 dictatorship territory. Cps is getting out of control as it is without enabling something like that.

• I think smoking when children are close by is very irresponsible. Any decent parent wouldn't do it.

• It should not be if the parent is not letting their kids smoke under 18.

• Smoking cig alone is good but with kids aren't and why should it be a child abuse?

• I hate to be that dick as I am pro choice, but taking anti smoking with kids to this level seems a bit too much. I think the majority of people who argue that smokers choose to smoke and should not have to force their choices and its effects on others, such as their kids. But isn't that kind of similar to abortion in a way?

I am not saying I don''t agree, it is awful to smoke t all, let alone with children, but I don't see it ever legally getting on that level due to this argument.

• Yes, it should many years ago my dad would smoke Pall Mall
    cigarettes in the car and i was a child i would get so car sick
    over it.. I believe the government should put smoke detectors
    in everyone's vehicle to see whether they are smoking or not
    in their vehicles ,