Do atheists believe in supernatural powers?

Like magic and special abilities like psychic readings etc

• I'm an atheist and believe in supernatural powers
  • I'm a theist and believe in supernatural powers
  • I'm an atheist and dont believe in supernatural powers
  • I'm a theist and dont believe in supernatural powers

Most Helpful Guy

• Well there are full on religions that don't believe in a higher power or powers. There are sects of Buddhism that don't believe in any gods but believe in reincarnation and other supernatural claims. In the west we tend to think if someone is atheistic then they must not believe in all forms of the supernatural and in many cases you'd be right, but throughout the world there are a lot of belief systems that don't have deities but share other supernatural aspects.

Technically the definition of atheist only applies to gods.

• While interesting, it still doesn't help prove how they came to the "logical" conclusion, that one thing they couldn't see or feel was real but the other thing could NEVER be real.

We're talking about people by today's standards. When Bhuddism started, maybe they never considered the idea that there might be something like a god. There are no Bhuddists alive today that aren't at least someone familiar with the concept of a deity.

My question is, again, how does one come to the conclusion that one is real and the other isn't, logically?

People are leading others off of cliffs based on arbitrary decisions from what I can tell lol

• Yes it doesn't make sense its like saying dragoons are real but fairies are not lol

• Well yeah that's how I feel about it as well but I'm just saying that people can believe in reincarnation while not believing in Gods. I'm not speaking about whether or not I feel it's rational to accept one and dismiss the other haha

@M_A_X

What Girls Said 7

• First of all there is no set of Atheist beliefs, we are not a group, or an organized religion. It simply means I am a person that does not believe in a deity. Not God, not Allah, not Zeus, Osiris, Isis, Athena, Satan, Ganesha, Hera, Jupiter, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster. With that being said, there is going to be no set opinion on ghosts or supernatural powers.
    As many Christian sects argue about whether supernatural powers are acceptable as being gifts from God or temptations of Satan or the Occult; many Atheists debate whether you can consider yourself an Atheist and believe in any of these things.
    I personally am an Atheist. Since I was a child in Bible school I refused to believe there was someone in sky that cared what I (or anyone) did with my day to day life. Christian teaching never made any sense to me, and I could use logic to debunk them at the age of 4.
    However, I believe in a lot of "supernatural" powers as well as ghosts. First of all I do believe most of your commercial psychics are very well trained in psychology and business. They know what to say to get people to hand over their money. But, have seen too many real incidences of someone (especially myself) knowing information they just possibility couldn't have, and intuition being importantly accurate to not believe in that sort of ability. I also believe in ghosts because I have felt the energy of my departed loved ones around me. I have talked to them during my sleep. I can feel the difference between a visit and a dream. As such, I believe. The interesting thing though is I believe based on experience and not faith. Faith is that substance of Theism: you believe in God and his plan because you are told to have blind faith in it. My belief in the supernatural is by the scientific method, the gathering of evidence to reach a conclusion, the same method most Atheists use to decide they do not believe in a god.

• News flash science can't explain supernatural phenomena

• I didn't say explain it. I just said I have experienced it.

• I think some do

• I don't, but some probably do. My ex is an atheist, and he swears ghosts are real, lol.

• As long as its not The holy ghost I think. he is still an atheist

• Yup, like I said, he's an atheist. I'm sure he wouldn't identify himself that way if he believed in the Holy Ghost, lol.

Though believing in ghosts, then dismissing gods as a possibility... doesn't make much sense to me. But hey, he's free to believe whatever seems right to him. :)

• Yeah... no such thing.

• I don't know, do they?

• That's what this post wants to find out

• I believe I can fly. I believe I can touch the sky.

• I absolutely believe in it.

• I have a question for you. Why do you believe in magic or the like but not in god? Seems a little silly to believe in one thing with no proof and absolutely deny that the other thing could be true.

What Guys Said 14

• Here is an article that talks about how some countries that are becoming more atheistic are still believing in supernatural and things like that.

www.bbc.com/.../20141219-will-religion-ever-disappear

I think some people associate atheism as lack of following a religion more so than lack of believing in a god. So that could leave them open to the supernatural.

But that's kind of one of the flaws of simplified labels. They are much more open to interpretation.

• That should make them deists instead of atheist

• Lastly, most of what I'm talking about has nothing to do with the article I linked. I started to mention it some this time because it talks about our brains having 2 forms of thought. But for the most part I didn't talk about the article at all.

• Using subcategories is best

• Atheism refers to believe or lack thereof of believe in a diety, not necessarily supernatural powers...
    I think it's probably fair to assume most Atheists, myself included would discard any claims of the supernatural for the same reason we discard claims of gods.

• *belief
      I make that typo every fuckin' time.

• Most people connect supernatural powers to religions or it forms the basis of many beliefs

• Yeah, I'll settle for some Fireballs and Vampires right about now.

However, it's really really hard for people to believe in hard science with facts beating them on their heads. Why would anyone believe in some fiction invented by people who were probably too high on something.

• yep, i am a theist, but i do not believe in miracles.

• I picked C - I think everyone is just human

• You never really know; some might

• I hit the wrong button

But I'm an atheist and no, there is no such thing as magic, psychics, or any nonsensical mumbojumbo.

• Yes, there are some.

• No, I don't.

- From an Atheist.

• I don't... Oh and your poll is confusing lol.

• I believe in what I see

• So you believe in magic if seen?

• I think some might do.

• I believe in nothing that my logic doesn't accept.

• YES I DO. Take farts for example, some people think it's gas leaving your butthole- Wrong, it's evil spirits being expelled from your life.
    Call it magic or whatever but Evil-fart entities exist.