Do people in some cultures still bow in respect?

Or is it dead. Which countries?:

• Dead
  • Not dead

Most Helpful Girl

• Taiwanese, I still accidentally bow to new people I meet, teachers and just people cars on the street and stuff... 😳
    Lol when another Chinese person bows back I know it's an immigrant like me not a abc haha. it's like a secret language

What Guys Said 12

• I think oriental people still do it

• Asian countries do (I don't know if all of them though).

• I heard Japanese do it.

• The difference is Chinese cultures usually don't do the whole deep bow thing unless it's a serious ceremony like a funeral or religious thing etc. In which case Taoism and Buddhism kind of effect how you bow (on your knees, or even hitting the floor with your forehead) We do a lot of nod bows in daily life though.

On the other hand. Maybe Chinese don't anymore, and it's just Taiwanese who do it cause we were colonized by Japan for half a century...

• Taiwanese are actually not very Chinese. They are more traditional (on an Asian perspective), and they are more influenced by both American and Japanese.
      My sponsor in the Catholic Church is a Taiwanese, but he does not bow. Generally, I think no matter you see an Asian bows or not, you should be surprised. Both are quite normal.

• Different countries have different ways of showing respect

• I kinda bow a little when I say hi to another person

• I still show respect to elders by bowing, but not bowing at a 90 degree.

• It's still common in Asian cultures and in fact it's expected.

• japan for sure

• i have some nigerian friends, and they tell me that they bow quite often in respect of elders

• Buddhist monks bow

• Nah still alive in china japan taiwan

• Yeah, some countries do it.

• I think they do in Japan.

What Girls Said 6