Does anyone here have panic attacks?

My ex girlfriend had one last year but then nothing else happened until today. I was at my place and she called me crying and freaking out because she thought she was dying and was home alone. I like a couple of blocks away so I went over and stayed with her.

I read online that you need to control your breathing when that happens so I tried to help her with that but it still lasted like AT LEAST half an hour. How do you deal with that? how can I help if it happens again?

Most Helpful Girl

• Remind her that it's all in her mind. She is safe and she has to regain control of her mind. If she continues panicking then she probably wants quiet. I know during BAD panic attacks I would feel even more terrified to have someone talking to me. Just having someone next to me physically, maybe holding me, helped ease the trauma.

• What do you think of trying to focus on something else, as a distraction? someone here suggested that

• Yeah I mean, you don't really have control over how long it lasts. My first panic attack lasted four hours, neeeeever again. Good luck though! Thanks for caring about her.

• Wow 4 hours? that sucks :/ hope things gets better soon!
      Thanks. Of course. I'll always be there when shit happens.

What Guys Said 5

• -_- panic attacks are disgusting.
    In all honesty I would recommend weed, if you don't want to see a psychiatrist. But its best to really be alone in a panic attack, or talk to somebody you really like.

• I have. Yes, breathing is the first thing, but also gaining an understanding of what they are and that they can't hurt you helps. it also helps to not try to fight it, but to just observe the feelings and allow them to get stronger and eventually pass. I learned some good stuff from http://curepanicattacksaway.blogspot.ca/

• So it's better to just accept it instead of trying to make it go away? thanks for the link!

• Just talk to her and try to get her to calm - Concentrate on the rhythm of her breathing

• Go to your happy place, stay and remind yourself that it's nothing more than just a panic attract.

• I wouldn't call it panic attacks, but i have anxiety episodes, where if i get serious anxiety I start throwing up

• What's the difference?

• I don't go hyperventilating, and crying, and completely freaking out. just barf, then I'm good

What Girls Said 4

• It is an experience you cannot understand until you have it. You literally feel like you are dying. I had my first ine this winter. My hands went numb, then I passed out in the shower, then I vomitted for 10 minutes: my breathing and heart beat were frantic and irregular the entire time. It took me 3 days to recover because just thinking about it and what brought it on would cause my body to start flipping out again.
    All you can do is keep calm, remind them it is just a panic attack (not knowing what was going on at first made me panic more. Realizing it was a panic attack helped it stop) and help her focus on something that isn't going to induce panic. Focus on breathing or something else to distract her from the thoughts thst caused the attack. It depends upon the person, but a constructive hug may help. Obviously not going to help with someone panicking over physical contact, but with most people it helps the nerves go back to normal.

• Should say constrictive hug not constructive. Please excuse the rest of the typos as well: I swear auto correct becomes less effective each day.

• Have you ever heard of a thunder shit for a dog? It is for when they freak out with anxiety, the constrictiveness does something for the nerves and keeps them comforted. It is also why lot kd autistic childrend like tight clothing like a leotard. Same concept.

• Interesting. Thank you!

• I had panic attacks two years ago. For me, they were triggered by things surrounding my syncope and things/people that bothered my unconscious. I always carried around aspirin because it made me feel better.

Deep breathing helps. Yoga classes helped too since I was so focused on the movement I had no time for panicking. If it happens to her again, just be by her side. There are also pressure points on the hands that are helpful for relaxation.

• What about things that can help in the moment? I doubt she'll want to try any of those things right now because she's really busy.

• Deep breathing and thinking rationally. When you get panic attacks, the flight or fight response kicks in and thinking rationally thwarts that. So when she gets one, she should think to herself or you can tell her, for example: "your fear is making your pulse go faster. your heart is fine because you were able to walk, etc. all day without anything happening to you. and this panic attack you have will pass too, just like the other ones.'

• Thank you! I hope she doesn't get any more attacks but if she does, I hope I'll be able to help more than today.

• Try giving her a massage. Arm massages are really nice I think.

• I do. I had one just yesterday. Whenever that happens I have to go to my happy place. It's a little wall that I like to sit on. It's in front of this beautiful mural. It's quiet and peaceful. My panic attacks usually occur when I'm with large groups of people because I have social anxiety. Whenever I feel overwhelmed by people I have panic attacks.