Help on convincing my parents to let me travel to Croatia with a friend?

So I'm 14 and my friend and her family has invited me to travel to Croatia with them in August for 6 days. I have been best friends with her for five years and I'm pretty close to their family. We would have to pay for the flights there (im from America) but they have the hotels and stuff covered. My parents are concerned about my safety and health in Croatia since it is across seas and they can't just come in get me in case of an emergency. So I was wondering if anyone could tell me about Croatia and tips on trying to convince my parents in to letting me go. thankss

Most Helpful Guy

• As an American living in Europe, it is not nearly as dangerous as we make it out to be. In fact, in many ways it is much safer because there are waaaaaay less guns! I want to say the UK, where I live, had one police murder by gun last year? And that was a big deal even. Croatia is pretty safe too. I think just let her know that 14 is young, and you understand her worry, but you will be with this family the whole time! Actually do that to, don't ever leave them or do something silly with your friend! no matter where in the world, Europe or the US, it is always dangerous to be on your own, young girl/boy or what ever! I am a 23 year old man on my own a lot over here and I have rarely felt threatened or in danger, but having a friend or a group is still best no matter where you are, even if you were going to another city in the US.

What Guys Said 5

• Croatia isn't some backwater. It's a developed place and a huge tourist destination...

• I think Croatia is very safe - @littlesally is croatian, she might know more

• Going alone , no way!!! IF with her family and you guys will always stick together i would say yes. But basically your parents have to talk with your friends parents

• Have been many times there and it is a great country, always felt save there

• Croatia is a safe and beautiful place to visit - especially the coastline. It's a popular destination for travelers and many young people go there alone. As with any other country, you should use common sense but it's certainly no more dangerous than rest of Europe. You could visit the islands or maybe go to Dubrovnik where Game of Thrones is being filmed.
    Let your parents talk to your friend's family so they can be reassured you'll be okay.

What Girls Said 2

• Yep, I'm from Croatia - as @Levin says, it's a developed country... nothing to be worried about.
    We have everything you have, although we lost Starbucks because it was WAY too expensive for our pockets. O. o

Hmmmm... we don't have any strange or infectious diseases you don't have. In fact, we may have less of those than America has - since purely statistically speaking we're a much smaller country and not as ethnically diverse. Sorry to say, we're boring when it comes to ethnic diversity...

I think to tourists we're a pretty cheap country - clothes, food, produce... all that stuff not that expensive to you - to us it is though. xD

If there are any questions you want to ask, go ahead. =)

• I might visit Croatia for my next holiday :)

• @Levin Nice. =) Hopefully you'll have fun.
      Don't bring drugs, though - a bunch of Americans were arrested with A LOT of drugs on one of the islands... Nope, we're not Colombia. xD Haha

• Alone? You are making a mistake. Croatia is not a safe place for teens to visit. You are insane to go without adults. Absolutely insane.

• with a family FROM THERE.. . maybe

• Hahaha @KFettario Which place IS safe for a teenager alone to visit? xD

• most of Europe is pretty safe. Alone, very few places. But some are a LOT more dangerous than others.