Can a good detailed novel be written like a movie where many things are cut or skipped?

For example lets say someone is leaving from Toronto to New york. Is it nesscary to write dialouge or things happening between their trip from Toronto to New York, when that isn't the main focus?

Or is it okay to start writing again after they left and arrived in New York?

Most Helpful Guy

• I know what you are talking about the 25 pages of looking out the window on the train journey.

What Girls Said 2

• I read books like that all of the time. They don't just jump from one to the other entirely, though. They say a brief thing or two about the trip.

• It's perfectly acceptable to just jump with no dialogue. You would chapter change and then, personally, incorporate a brief description of the surroundings or location to let the reader know.

What Guys Said 3

• Its awesome that u say that cause I was just thinking that. I wanted to write in the back ground and settings. You know give the reader a more. visual look as to were the characters are.

But I know ur only suppose to put the information that matters.

• It's not a neccessity to add it, it might make the story drag on , causing us to lose interest.
    'fillers' that's what they're called

• Not unless the novel is short