I just walked in on a fight between my boss and his girlfriend and it was incredibly awkward. I don't know what to do?

As I was arriving to work this afternoon, I saw my boss enter one of the rooms. Like I normally do, I unlocked my office, dropped my stuff off, and then walked into the room he was in to see if he had any new assignments for me. I walked into the room and his girlfriend was there. She was sitting in a chair and he was standing. They both looked over at me and turned their attention back on each other. I walked right up to them before I realized they were having an argument. I couldn't hear exactly what she was saying, but she had a very angry look on her face and was speaking in a low, angry voice. He was standing there looking like a little boy getting yelled at by his mother and was getting defensive. I have social anxiety and get very nervous around people and conflict. When I realized they were arguing, I froze for a few seconds. I couldn't hear what she was saying, but he was speaking louder and saying things like "Well, I didn't know!" And that he tried and then he asked her what she wanted him to do. At that point, I unfroze, spun around, and tried to slowly and quietly creep out of the room. As I was creeping out, his girlfriend said, "Rose, I'm sorry. Do you need to talk to Patrick?" I'm pretty sure I looked like a little kid in trouble at that point too. I said, "Iwasjustwonderingifheneededanything" like a million miles an hour. His girlfriend turned to him and he looked at me and shook his head no looking mad. I left as quickly as I could.

I'm incredibly embarrassed and mad at myself for freezing. I must have been in that room with them for 30-40 seconds. I haven't talked to my boss since, but I'm scared he's going to be mad at me. This is a horribly awkward situation and I don't know what I should do to make it better. Does anyone have any advice or has anyone else experienced something like this? If so, how did you handle it?

Most Helpful Guy

• Don't be upset. It was their fault for bringing it to the office where it had no place being. I used to work for a family owned company and the president and his wife (who worked at the same office) were in the process of divorcing. They frequently put the entire office staff in the middle of their bullshit, and several people left the company as a result. I eventually left because they didn't want to spend money hiring new people to replace the ones who quit (had to pay those divorce lawyers, I guess) and most of the work that the people who quit performed fell upon me to do, without any extra pay. By the time he realized the toll it was taking on me and gave me several raises within a couple of months, the damage was already done. I've worked for myself ever since.

What Guys Said 4

• Just apologize that you walked in on that. He won't be mad at you. Couples fight sometimes, its nothing to be embarrassed about

• It can't be helped - He will understand

• That's ok. You didn't do anything wrong. Not your problem, right? I'm sure your boss can change his own diapers.

Take care.

• Just pretend it didn't happen. Girls have a bad habit of making awkward things wayyy more awkward

What Girls Said 1

• Fight? What fight? Keep out of personal business.

If he says anything brush it off with a no worries it's happens to all of us or something.