• Cheer is a sport
    76% (13)50% (7)65% (20)Vote
  • Cheer is not a sport
    24% (4)50% (7)35% (11)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
9|8

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it depends on how the individual person defines "sports." For me, a sport involves specific skills and also an aspect of competition.

-Sideline cheering? No, I don't consider that to be a sport since they are there to "pump up" the crowd and provide motivation for the sports team they are cheering for (football, basketball, etc).
    -Competition cheer? Yes, that would be considered a sport in my opinion since there seems to be more skill involved as well as the competition between teams. It is a separate thing than sideline cheering.

1|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 8

• Cheerleading? Lot more dangerous than armoured carry ball or whatever they play over there. Doesn't it have the highest injury rate of any sport?

1|0
    1|2
  • Yes I think it is - Isn't there cheer scholarships

1|0
    0|1
  • It's a sport. Those girls get serious injuries from the stunts and activities they do in cheer.

1|0
    0|1
  • For the brain it is

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think so.

0|0
    0|0
  • 0|0
    0|0
  • If that's a sport than watching paint dry should be considered one too.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's not a sport

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 8

• Most people are going to say no because the only type of cheerleading they've ever been exposed to is sideline cheer, which I would consider as more of an activity than it is a sport. All-star competitive cheer is definitely a sport though. I was in varsity soccer, basketball, and rugby during some part of high school and my level 5 all-star cheerleading was always the most challenging.
    Just in case new people try to answer, I want them to know the difference lol
    Sideline cheer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EraARwmJP9w
    Level 5 All-star cheer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40G_-H3Q2is

1|0
    0|0
  • Cheer is a sport, it's a dangerous sport at that. It takes memory, balance, flexibility, and skills to cheer. I think cheering is a sport.

1|0
    0|0
  • Any competitive physical exercise is something I consider to be a sport :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Competiton cheer is a sport

0|0
    0|0
  • You sweat so yes

0|0
    0|0
  • If you have to practice and its physical then it's a sport to me.

0|0
    0|0
  • 100% yes!! as a competitive cheerleader i know it is a sport and damn hard one at that

1|0
    0|0
  • I just said its not a sport because I played varsity soccer for 4 years, but its a hell of a lot more of a sport than marching band.

0|0
    1|0
    • And have you ever been in marching band? Because I've played soccer and done marching band, and I can say that marching band is plenty challenging. besides, if golf counts as a sport, so does band.

• Marching band isn't challenging, you have to keep beat thats not hard at all I've been playing piano for 15 years. The most common thing I hear defending marching band is "SOME OF THE INSTRUMENTS ARE HEAVY!!' most of them are ~50 pounds at the most. Try running full speed for 40 minutes getting in on average 10 miles per game.