Is it okay for white people to use the N-Word?

This is not a dig at rap music, but there are tons of rap songs out there that utilize the N-word along with other language and references that one might not consider polite to use, say in front of your kids, or your boss, or at church. Do you think its ever okay for a white person to sing the lyrics of a song that includes the N-word. Why or why not?

• White people should never sing songs involving the N-word
  • If its on the radio, a white person should be able to sing a song with the N-word
  • White people can sing that at home or with their white friends, but not in front of black people
  • Neither white or black people should be able to sing songs with the N-word in them

Most Helpful Guy

• in my opinion, anyone who doesn't like others using a word should not use the word themselves.

I hate hypocrisy.

What Guys Said 12

• No race should use that word.

• White people shouldn't use that word. Black people should stop using that word. All races shouldn't use that word as with all racial slurs. If it's so offensive that an entire race is socially excluded from using it then why don't ALL RACES stop using it? It's unfair that whites are condemned for saying a word pretty much every other race can use. Either drop its meaning and how offensive it is or stop using it all together.

• In my opinion, no one should ever use any racial slur (which is what the N word is) under any circumstances. But... when stupid people use them in reference to themselves put them in music and types media outlets, they give license to others to use them. I don't use them regardless. Just like any profanity use, it's a sign of lack of intelligence and vocabulary. No matter who uses it, when or why. My opinion.

• What about to their girlfriends in bed? She likes that shit

• "If its on the radio, a white person should be able to sing a song with the N-word" All of them do around here without a fuck given ^_^ #YouCanSayWhatYaWant

• Excuse me where the fuck is the fucking "Anyone can say 'nigger' because of free speech" option?

• Well, you don't really need that option in a poll, do you?

• @Gojira actually yes, the poll was very biased.

• seeing as how I'm asking specifically about the usage related to the word being in a song, and not in general conversation, then perhaps you should pick option B if that is how you feel. As much as you may want to believe that at least in the US, there is free speech, we all know that isn't true.

• A white person cannot use the word

• Circumstantial I suppose.

• What a terrible poll. I was looking for the option: if it's in the song, anyone can sing the words.
    And freedom of speech, they can put the words in the song if they want to.
    But I would prefer if no one said the word.

• You obviously have the right to your own opinion, but this was a question posed on a tv show about a white rapper who used the N-word in one of his songs which offended a lot of black people. The rappers defense was that its part of the rap culture, black rappers use it, and he said it's not offensive in the context that he used it b/c he uses it with his black friends, in the industry, etc. So then the question was asked in general in an online poll if white people should be allowed to use the word if its sung in a rap song on the radio. Hence my question, which was essentially the same question and context that they asked.

• Your options were most certainly not embracing the full spectrum of choices, no matter where you got the inspiration.
      And do they really say the N word on the radio?

• Well, you are totally free to write your own question and you can add as many choices as you'd like, right? Last I checked GAG wasn't exactly market or scientific research. Half the stuff on here is about someone's dick size... but this, you're worried about. LOL! Anyway, I believe certain stations can play uncensored music but I'm not for certain. I can only guess that maybe the rapper meant people playing or hearing their music on cd or ipod or whatever filtered through the radio as opposed to actually live music on the radio.

• 0|0
  • Yeah if they want to.

• crackers can use whatever word we want.

• I'll say w/e word I want to say. If I want to say nigga or n** I will. And if a racist wants to say it then go ahead.

What Girls Said 5

• I think that word is disrespectful all around. I don't like it.

• Most people don't know the history behind that word, and its not funny for anyone to say it, even if no one is offended while it is spoken. In humanities of my 8th grade year, we learned about the lynching of Emmet Till. It changed my view on this sort of word from then on.

• Words only have meaning because people assign them meaning so if people assign the idea of racism to the N word - then out of a desire to express your non-racist condition you should avoid using words in terms that offend others.

• I don't think any race should use that word. It's disrespectful.

• I'm Hispanic, and sometimes I get called spic or wetback or use some sort of stereotype. I don't really care because I know it's all for laughs around friends. I think it's about how you use it. Whether your genuinely offending others or not. I call my white pals, crackers and honkeys and other racial slurs they don't mind. To me it's just another word for their race, depending on the context.

It's not really a difference from saying
    "goddamn those stupid African ameicans!"
    "goddamn those stupid niggers!"

They're both racist. I'll probably get downvotes for voicing my opinion but oh well