What do you think about Americans?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm an American who was raised in the USA but who has lived in several countries; let me answer from that perspective. I'll recast the question: What traits do you see in Americans that you don't see as much in people from other places?

I sometimes think that Americans get along in a more genuine way with strangers, in one-on-one situations. They tend to be a bit more open and upfront, in a friendly way, with people they don't know. There is often little pretense, calculation, or cleverness, more just a willingness to have real contact. That's a good thing about Americans. :)

The most American thing I know is the American sense of humor, I think. There is overlap in "humor" around the world, of course, but a lot of American humor is unique, in my experience. And I'm not talking about sitcoms--those are dumbed down at best; most are odious. I guess humor is always impossible to describe.

When I lived in northern Europe , I noticed that when they subtitled The Simpsons, they never actually translated most of the jokes. The people doing the translation apparently didn't know what the jokes were, so they left many of them out. Also, I would sit in theaters and laugh my head off at hilarious parts of American movies and plays, and, even in England, I'd be the only person there who (seemed to) "get it," a lot of the time.

America is so rich and powerful, and has done so many awful things. But it's a beautiful place. In all the world it's the best place I know. It's complicated. But then again, so are Americans. :)

What Girls Said 7

• There are so many things I could say about Americans... Some are pretty bad and others are good.
    I will mention some:
    - they're good actors (both in a good and in a bad way)
    - they're great inventors
    - they can transform a small thing into something big
    - they like celebrities
    - even when they don't have much money, they pursue a college education
    - they are radical in relation to certain things

I could say other stuff, but since the majority of the users of this site are Americans, they would be upset and perhaps offended. So I won't say it.

• they are like any other people from any other country.. some are very cool and friendly.. some can b rude...

• We like pizza everyday.

• We have our good people, and our bad people the same as any other country.

• I think they're really annoying. if I explain why I think this, I will get kicked off the website. So im just going to leave it at this.

• hmm rude, racist, always looking for war, only think about sex that's what i think about when i hear the word ''americans'' but i can always let myself get convinced into thinking that there are some who are different by getting to know them though

• I didn't know I was racist a racist person who only thinks about sex and tries to start wars. xD

• I agree with you. I could just go on and on..,

• @xXiTacoXx
      If you can generalise southerners why can't she generalise everyone?

• It depends on the individual, to be honest. Where you are from does not define who you are.

What Guys Said 17

• What I think about every other country there are some awesome Americans and some not so awesome. That applies to every country in the world. I don't like to say everyone from a whole country is the same because they are not.

• We are just like any other country or people on earth, we have good people and bad people and just like everyone else we have problems that need to be fixed.

• I think they are fine

• They're awesome dude

• They're from America.

• "Americans" is a very wide category. You tell me what which American you're talking about and I'll tell you what I think.

• In the English language Americans refers to those who live in the united States of America more than it refers to those who live in the American continent

• American people are not the same so I can't have one opinion about all of them.

• you'r all obese, eat huge portions that make you fat, are racist, and can't find Canada on a map.. oh and overseas to you is Alaska and Hawaii...

but i'm in the mood to stereotype. and the mood to say I know better...

• I'm an American and my country has problems.

• Not so good some of them acting like kings or queens. Like a ruler of the world and few of them so rude! Not so kind.

• This would of been one word but GaG has character limits. Ignorant.

• American girls so sexy haha

• I like hang out with Americans.

• in terms of politics, i dont like them.
    but i like American peopl individually, they're not cold.

• They interfere in each and every country's matters.

• Some are really good and some are really bad and racist.
    Some think about a happy married life some think only about sex.
    In all a good developed country but crime rate is a little high in poor areas.
    I have some good American friends over here too.

• 2|0
    • First version of this I saw had Burt Gummer in the place of Reagan. 😋