How can some other young people have no respect for elders?

I was on the bus the other day, and I am an expat living in a foreign country. Plenty of the natives, just sat there as this old guy got on and not give up their seat. I got up straight away, without even thinking twice. It would actually be painful for me to sit there and watch an eldery watch me.

Most Helpful Guy

• That's a good question I dunno what's going on with retarded unmannered people...

What Guys Said 10

• It is not just the elderly. I see that same disregard for people with disabilities that are quite obvious. Someone needing a cane to get on the bus is not likely to fare well standing up while it is moving. They need not be elderly. Same goes for pregnant women. So many younger people today just don't give a shit about others and the problems they may be facing. Grab the seat for themselves and fuck everybody else.

• I saw this really pretty girl on the bus but what turned me off her was what she did. She moved where there was two empty seats, sat on the isle seat and put her bag on the window seat so no one could sit next to her and I think from memory the bus was pretty full.

• Yes i know how you feel i agree i don't know where the respect is for elders well it's all got to do with the parental upbringing..

• I don't view age and respect as the same thing. Respect is earned through actions, not age.

• Sure, but in an instance like my situation, you don't know the person. But if you have the respect within yourself and not selfish person, those thoughts don't even come to mind. You get up. Sure, I wouldn't respect someone who I was talking to that was being disrespectful-even if they were old, but in my case it's basic morals.

• Not sure what's with the downvote, I never said not to respect people, I just said that age is nothing but a number. I give everyone equal respect until their actions show otherwise. If the old person was limping or hunching then yea sure I'd get up but just because they are old doesn't mean I have to give up my seat for them.

• As people age, lots of things get worse. Their strength lessens, balance is often more of a problem. Often, they have conditions causing pains that make it hard to stand for any length of time. But for most of them, it does not appear that obvious. Someone your age should be thankful for the youth you have and be happy to give your seat to someone that is eslderly.

And no, I am not talking about myself. I am quite lucky to have pretty good strength and balance. I am having other health problems, but so far they do not interfere with my ability to stand and maintain my balance on a bus.

• That kind of manners has disappeared alarmingly over last 15 years or so

• They weren't taught.

• Why should they? Respect goes both ways. I believe everyone should respect each other regardless of how old you are. I have seen too many elders who feel entitled to be respected. Just my personal opinion

• I know what you are saying, but in a situation like that, you give up your seat for a pregnant woman or elderly, common sense. Doesn't take a genius to acknowledge that.

• I have also given my seat up to a pregnant lady.. But more than your scenario, I'm referring to the whole relationships in general.

• It's easy since most pepole do not care about one another

• It's better if the elderly stand. Wouldn't want them to pull their back out standing back up. Plus, they're old, they'll be dead soon. It's a win/win except I will be a little bit more comfortable.

• Yep. Life pretty well sucks for the elderly and they would be so better off dead. Here's hoping you die soon so you don't have to go through that.

• After the early 90's everything went to Shit! Us 80's and 90's Kids are the Best!

What Girls Said 3

• Because children these days are spoiled with so many material possessions, comfort and ease that they forget that life is about surviving and being a good person. Many think its about comfort and ease.

• It goes both way, respect is earned. Like in my home country, to offer your seat to the elders or pregnant ladies, it's totally normal and most of the young people would do it without hesitation. Except some ignorant ones.

• Those people might have been super tired? If not they didn't think about it really.