What should I do about buying or renting books?

I don't know what is better should I buy books for college or rent them?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well it depends on each case of book! =) For each class you have, you should look up the required textbook (s). Then, compare prices in the bookstore with online prices, etc. Choose the cheapest price at which you can still get a book in good physical condition.

So sometimes the cheapest option will be to rent a copy; in other cases, it will be cheaper to buy a used copy. Of course, some books may be needed for more than one semester/quarter, so you might want to buy them in those cases.

It's basically just a case-by-case basis. Hope that helps!

• You're so right it depends on the class. Thanks

What Guys Said 4

• I only buy books for classes that's in my major coursework. Ridiculously expensive though!

• Very true that makes sense. Thank you.

• Just rent them and if you like them don't give them back.
    That's what I used to do at university. Still have heaps of books I should've given back.

• Buy so they could help u in the future 🔮

• If you really love reading, buy and have a collection. If you read for fun only and to waste time just rent books

What Girls Said 3

• Find used copies or rent whenever possible. You could also look into sharing with a friend/classmate if you really want to try to be frugal.
    I tried my best to only buy the books I knew I would keep after my classes were over.
    Selling them back to the school's bookstore is out of the question, you'll get more reselling them online (assuming a new edition doesn't come out and render your copy almost completely worthless).

• Great advice thank you.

• Find PDFs. Chances are, someone in your classes will have a PDF and will be willing to pass you a copy. If you really have to, buy the gen chem and gen bio book because a few courses build off of it and you might have to go back and reference them. For more specific courses either PDF or rent. Check amazon or barnes n nobles for used copies, usually cheaper than the bookstore. Also for some courses, you can find alternative literature or use the older versions - chances are the information is mostly the same just the formatting is different.

• Rent them it is cheaper. Only buy them if they are custom editions at the college or if you can get the older edition cheaper. However some schools have special BS codes for certain stuff online which can be cheaper if you buy their bundles. Sometimes its is cheaper to rent and then purchase online codes.