Is it true we lose height at night and how much do we lose?

Most Helpful Girl

• No, you gain height at night. While you're lying down, your spine decompresses. This can make you up to half an inch taller first thing in the morning. However, as you put pressure on your spine again throughout the day, it will compress itself again through gravity.

What Girls Said 3

• Actually you gain a little height while you sleep. Your actually losing it as the day goes by because of gravity pulling your body towards the ground.

• That's why it's best to measure how tall you are first thing in the morning.

• Thats just deceiving yourself :p

• That's what the doctors say to do. Same with weighting yourself your at your true weight early in the morning before you eat anything.

• no we dont...

• I'm a solid 5'7", I don't know if you actually lose height at night i always thought that was a myth.

What Guys Said 8

• I heard we gain height at night but it is miniscule - I think it is to do with body relaxing and stretching

• I think it's the opposite. We stand/walk/run during the day and gravity crushes our body height down making us shorter. But when we sleep at night we expand since we usually grow throughout our life. Gravity does not crush us down from head to toe.

• How much do u lose throughout the day

• You'll rather shrink a bit during the day ( when your intervertebral disks are compressed) and gain a bit while sleeping, when they get back to original size.

• No, you lose it during the day and then you gain it when you sleep at night.

I know because when I leave for work in the morning my hair touches the ceiling of my car but doesn't in the afternoon, so I've obviously lost height throughout the day.

• you actually gain height over night as your spine relaxes, you actually shrink a fraction through the day as your spine compresses... so you're actually tallest each morning..

• Au contraire.
    We gain height, due to pressure unloading on our spinal discs, which are made up of cartilage.

• I'm 5' 10.5" in the morning, 5' 10.25" walking around, and a little over 5' 10" at bed time. I lose about a quarter of an inch.

• You will shrink about.00003 an inch.

• Thats not even considered shrinking lol