$135,000 in "emotional damages" over a CAKE?

The lesbian couple who were refused a wedding cake by a Christian bakery just fleeced them for $135,000 in "emotional damages." AFTER they were driven out of business. Over a CAKE.

This is obscene. The lesbians weren't the ones who were subject to death threats, vandalism, and angry protests outside their house, the bakers were.

What are your thoughts on this? Cry discrimination all you want, but to me, financially ruining a family over a cake is wrong no matter what the reason.

• The payday was the entire point from the beginning.
  • Discrimination! They deserved it.
  • This has gone too far.

Most Helpful Girl

• I skimmed through the article and here's what stood out to me. The bakery has no issue with selling to the LGBT community. They just want provide or sell goods going to a gay wedding. One of the lesbians bought a cake there for her mothers wedding and there was no issue. When she went for her wedding that's when the problem happened.

As for the couple they lost their business because of the press. They have five children and two of them are adopted and might lose them since they don't have the funds they originally had to support them. They are now doing their business from home. They had a gofundme page but it was shut down when supporters of the lesbians reported it to Oregon state law. They didn't register their business as a religious bakery which is the main reason they lost. Had they done so they would've been protected under Oregon law.

My issue is that if gay marriage wasn't allowed in Oregon until 2014 and the cake request was made and denied in 2013. How did it stand up? Also I know America is known as a sue happy country and most frivolous lawsuits such as this come into question. But I honestly don't know if this was motivated by money or these lesbians actually thought they were doing the right thing. Common sense to most people is that if someone refuses to serve you or provides bad service you take your money else where. Why would I want to hand money to someone who treats me poorly? The lesbians claim they suffered emotional damage but the bakers suffered much worst.

All this over a damned caked.

• Where did it say in the article that two of the five children were adopted? I read it was the lesbian couple who had two adopted children.

• Churches are not businesses, the anti-discrimination laws do not apply to them.

Law trumps personal opinion. Disagreeing with the law doesn't exempt you from it.

• @Dandeus Oh my gosh you are so right. How could I challenge the law? If a robber breaks into your house and hurts himself can he sue you for medical expenses? He sure can. Is it right? Nope. But according to you the law is the law. If a car short stops in front of you causing the car crash are you at fault? You sure are. Is it right? Nope. But according to you it's the law. In other countries homosexuals are in prison on the principal of being gay and indulging in homosexual activity. Is it right? Nope. But according to you the law is the law.

"Law trumps personal opinion. Disagreeing with the law doesn't exempt you from it. It's that simple."

What Girls Said 19

• I'll probably get some hate for my opinion here but I think the whole situation is absolutely ridiculous and yes, it went way too far. It was a privately owned business who obviously values their religious beliefs. Nothing was stopping this couple from simply taking their business elsewhere.

Suing them for "emotional damages" is just insane to me, but I guess some people will sue over anything. One big observation I have made though is, I just can't believe how so many people are preaching "tolerance" towards homosexual couples/marriage, but where is the tolerance for those who simply don't support it? There is a HUGE difference between simply not supporting gay marriage and actually "hating" gay people. Tolerance should go both ways. No one should be forced to support something that goes against their belief system. Period.

• *applause* I was about to lay into this issue but you said everything I was thinking and feeling. Fantastic job! +1

• Fair enough. May I ask have someone ever refused to serve you? It's happened to me. The feeling you get when they ignore your very existence in the shop and refuse to sell you stuff while you patiently wait at the counter with the things you want to buy really really sucks.

• Its not the end of the world though if you dont get what you want.

• Idiots. The family should sue these lesbians. Okay I get that America's has passed the law that gays can marry now. But that doesn't mean you go up and disrespect someone's belief. They knew it was a Christian shop and would likely be refused yet they still went there just for a publicity stunt.

I feel sorry for the family. Considering USA is a liberal country with the statue of liberty its a bit inane that people can't voice their opinions. They own the bakery, they should have the right to decide who they want to serve and who not

• You shouldn't refuse to served someone unless the law states otherwise like with alcohol to minors

• It is hypocritical and I think its out of order if that happened, I also think the amount they are suing for is disgusting, however, the shop owners broke the law. They cannot discriminate in that state. They do not have the option.

• Again the overall victim here are the Kleins not the lesbian couple

• Hopefully the judge who issued damages rots in hell after he / she dies.

• It probably started innocently. But went to far.

The problem with lesbians/gays/transsexuals/etc (meaning any other group that I can't think of) is that it's so taboo. Being straight is "normal" so it's fine to be offensive to us we don't complain. If someone is rude to a straight person we get pissed off but shit happens. Say it to a minority and it's a problem.

Of course, with all things like this, this is a minority if a minority. There are plenty of lesbians/gays/transsexuals who are learning with us and we are all people. And for those I salute you. You are the people who will set the rules of dos and donts.

These ladies probably started out as firm harder but this got out of control. It doesn't make it okay and to me they make a bad name for that group. I know many lesbians who I adore and wouldn't change. These lesbians I want to punch though. Those bakers didn't deserve that, there was a difference of opinion, they explained that and they should have respected that. There's millions of bakers in the world. What made that one so special? I doubt the bakers were rude because it's their business, and if they were shame on them, but they didn't deserve all that hassle.

• A normal person's response would be to leave a negative review on Yelp and buy a cale somewhere else, not drive them out of business and then file a lawsuit which could cost them the custody of their two adopted children.

• It's like a vendetta at this point. The mob won't be happy until they're living in a box beneath an overpass.

• That's what I was trying to say. A straight person would shrug it off, maybe be pissed. But because of these extreme minorities we are made to Molly cuddle them. And then the "normal" members of the minority we don't know how to act.

I treat everyone as people. If someone objects, I assume they don't feel like a person. And that's not my issue. Whether, straight, gay, trannie or a sodding pig, you are treated how you wish to be treated. End of.

• "The lesbians weren't the ones who were subject to death threats"

Because that NEVER happens to gay people, right? Lmao alright.

• Good point.

• I'm sorry to say I'm struggling to think of the last time that happened and it didn't turn out to be a hoax someone did to themselves. I don't doubt that it happens for real, but you have to admit that the whole LGBT lobby thrives on its victim status.

I know Matt Shepard is the case everyone jumps back to, but it came out later that even that was actually a drug deal gone bad.

• Only thing that immediately comes to mind is a US Marine killing a transgender man over in the Phillipines... last year? He picked him up in a bar and they got to the point of taking their pants off at a motel before he found out "she" was a "he."

• Homophobic tears are the best tears. 😎

• Gays are always crying

• The business was not discriminating them against them based on an enumerated federal or state discriminatory prohibition. So there was nothing wrong refusing service to them. They're a private business after all. The business even gave them a list of other bakeries to go to.

This is insane.
    Given this I would not be surprised if the lgbt try and greatly expand the current federal ruling.

• It isn't the only instance of this, either. Off the top of my head, there was a wedding photographer and a private wedding chapel which have also been subject to similar treatment.

• Way too far...

• So now the cake people are going on like a kick starter to make other people pay for their charge? WoW

I don't approve of them having that charge to begin with. If they want to deny gay people any rights to a cake. That's their choice. The couple did throw an irrational fit and should have went to another place. Still I hate the cake people for going on a website begging other people to fix their problem.

• If it's that or lose your house to a bullshit lawsuit...

• To me both sides are on the wrong.

• What they did wasn't a charity it was just to help them out of a mess up that happened to them. Like I said both were being stupid. The law suit shouldn't have happened in the first place.

• we wouldn't be reading things like this if gays weren't tolerated to begin with.

• I completely agree with @arabianprincess and @xhoneyxbeex said. Well stated girls! :)

• This has gone too far.

• A big part of the reason people sue over shit for emotional damage like that is just because they want money. Yes they should not discriminate, but I would've just went to a different bakery.

• They've gone too far. Fucking Christians can bake a fucking cake but fucking lesbians can fucking go to another bakery and don't get fucking damaged by every fucking thing.

It's their belief, it's their property and work. They can believe in anything they can service whomever they fucking wish. It's insane and completely shows the dictatorship of law and the shitty government that people face such shit.

• Too far... Wow.

• I think they should get money for emotional damages but that amount was excessive. Something between $2000 - $5000 would have been reasonal.

Also the death threats, vandalism, and angry protests were uncalled for.

• It's pretty stupid. If they don't want your money because they're bigots then good, go to another cake place.

• I guess in the US you can sue for anything.

• Ok, I read the story now. In the article, it was the lesbian couple who got death threats, not the owners. The adopted foster children are also theirs and not the Christian couples'.
      They sued for emotional damage, because of those death threats and because they were scared lose their adopted children.

• *scared to lose

What Guys Said 22

• Have you seen the photo of the couple? If I were their size I'd be emotionally damaged too if I didn't get cake.

• First off I think it is an insane amount but America is a heavily litigious culture. I don't think a private business is a church though so I don't understand why someone would refuse money for a cake.. It isn't like they are asking the shop owners to get gay married lol. If the customers were black or Asian and refused them people wouldn't be freaking out at all about the lawsuit. What if it was someone's religion that black people were inferior to all other race of people? Would they be able to refuse them on religious grounds? Religion usually gets a pass in the US when it comes to the law so I'm actually shocked it turned out this way.

Human beings should be treated with dignity and worth regardless how you feel about their beliefs or who they love PERIOD. It makes me wonder who raised these people to be honest. Just so you all know as an atheist I'd feel the same way if there was a specifically nonreligious establishment and people refused customers who wore religious clothing or jewelry just so you know I'm not being a hypocrite. Just because we don't agree with shit doesn't mean people shouldn't be treated with dignity.

• Cry babies, it is any private American business owners right to deny any customer service especially if they value their religious values and what the customer wants, goes agaisnt what they believe in. How about you just go to another bakery and get your cake

It is very clear here from the number of zeros present that this was never about rights it was about money, plain and simple, any moron with half a brain would have just gone to another bakery and avoided this whole thing, I hope the lesbians are happy, that couple may lose 2 of their children who are adopted because they don't have the money now to take care of them now.

• @bubble_tea if it turns out the person I got the info from is wrong then no big deal, in which I would edit my comment but of course gag has no edit option lol ( kind of silly )

• Asker, you're right. That would have been one way to deal with it. I probably wouldn't even have left a review on Yelp. Some people are just more gung-ho that others. I guess it's just bad luck. I can't imagine they went into the bakery knowing fully well that they wouldn't be serviced.

• I think that all the lgtb community needs to get the fuck over themselves. They are a Christian family that owns their cake shop. They have a right to deny you business because they don't beleive in your lifestyle. You want a wedding cake get the fuck over it and go to a different store. Congrats the US government says you can get married (they have been wrong plenty of times before) quit rubbing it in the faces of people who believe that your CHOICES are wrong. Get over yourselves. No one owes you anything. No one cares that you are gay.

• Who were more emotionally damaged: the lesbian couple who could not have a cake there (flip the bird and find another bakery?) or the bakers who had been "subject to death threats, vandalism, and angry protests outside their house" besides having to close their bakery?

It is an absurd. Too much hate everywhere.

• They had it coming. If these people had refused to serve a black couple this would not even be in question, everyone would be saying they deserved it.

It's not just about a cake, it's about setting legal precedent on whether discrimination is acceptable. If you decide in favor of the bakery, you're saying that any business can discriminate against gays without repercussion.

They're being made an example of to tell other business owners that discrimination based on sexuality is not acceptable and will be punished.

• Unless a business is being publicly funded, they should have the right to choose their clients. Trade should be conducted with the consent of all parties involved, the buyer and the seller. I won't give my business to someone who refuses to serve blacks, whites, jews, muslims, whoever, but I don't believe it's my right to demand they serve me. It's their business. If my money isn't green enough for them, they're only hurting themselves.

• The Oregon law was passed in 2008. The Civil Rights Act was passed in 1964.

• Thank you! This should be MHO.

• Way too stupid. I support gay rights, but the bakers started their own PRIVATE business, and if they don't wanna serve certain people, I believe they have the right to do so. I know it's discrimination, and they're morally wrong to do so, but still, it's a private business, I don't have to do a cake if I don't want to.
    What if the bakers said that they didn't want to do the cake, without mentioning why? What would have happened?

• "and if they don't wanna serve certain people, I believe they have the right to do so."
      Actually, they don't. See Dandeus link to Oregan Law.

• @bubble_tea That's the problem with it. I don't agree with not letting those people in, but they're free to do so.
      What if they decline to offer their service to someone without saying the reason for that? What would happen?

• I think they can get sued, because it's against the law to refuse service for no good reason. Refusing to tell the reason is not a good reason.

• I totally support gay rights but private buisinesses have right to refuse to provide a service.

• Damn... i freaking hate this
    Thats a bullshit charge "emotional damages" now gay people are gonna start pulling the gay card

• The monetary figure is ridiculous, but at the same time it's difficult for me to feel too sympathetic toward a business with discriminatory practices.

A bakery is not a church, after all, and I can't make any sense of how baking a wedding cake for gay people might violate a baker's religious rights. Sorry, but that's a load of shit.

• I think the sum went a little higher after this happened.
      "She said the threats were part of a stream of "hateful, hurtful things" that came after the couple's contact information (home address, phone and email) was posted on Aaron Klein's personal Facebook page. She said she feared for her life and her wife's life."

• They've sued religious adoption agencies too. It's only a matter of time for the churches.

• @BelleGirl21 To be totally honest I'm not educated enough on the adoption issue to have formed an opinion. Like anything else dealing with religious rights issues, I'm sure it's super complicated and has two sides of people who, at least in their own estimations, are trying to do the right thing.

As much as I'm a believer in gay rights, though, I'd never vote for churches to be forced to perform same sex marriages against their will. I feel confident that it'd never happen; at least, not here in the US anyway.

• I knew something like this would happen, and people were saying they are not forcing people to do anything, HA.

• Hmmm emotional damages? In my country they would probably get jailed for filing this pathetic complaint about the bakery.

• that's excessive

• Human law has holes in it. Good of you to notice.

• The bakery owners kind of decided to ruin themselves when they refused service on those grounds.

• I agree. I wouldn't give my business to someone who refused to serve blacks, whites, jews, muslims, whoever, but it's still their business.

• Isn't trying to force them to go against their religion an offence as well?

• Everyone should have the right to refuse, whatever the motivation. The alternative is slavery.

• On one hand, I completely agree with their decision, the lesbians. Their sexuality being the reason you won't do business is clear as hell discrimination. But on the other hand, fuck em. They're the ones losing business.

• Wow that much over a cake? That's absurd dude

• Idiots like this should've been left to rot on Mt. Taygetus.

• I'm glad you people are finally seeing the true colors of that rainbow.

• Gays need to stop complaining, they got rights by taking others away.