Why do people like reality shows?

From X factor to big brother I really don't get the hype. I do get they're somewhat entertaining (not to me obviously) and outrageous (most of it is fake) but I seriously don't get why would someone relgiously watch something like that.
I want to hear your thoughts on this. What makes reality tv and talent shows so interesting?

Most Helpful Guy

• A lot of people like shallow, sensationalist and stupid TV where they can just turn off their brain and be stupid themselves. Very sad in my opinion.

• Just like in normal shows, people like the drama of reality shows. It mirrors what real life is like a lot of the time, and we can see that people really do have lives, just like us. They're not just paid celebs, acting

What Guys Said 4

• I never really got it... then during a particularly rough spot of my life I saw something called "Undatables" which is a reality tv show which follows disabled (sometimes physically but more commonly mentally) trying to find love. Ad I have to guiltily confess that what started as morbid fascination (would they really go so low as to show THAT on tv) turned into a gut need. I needed to know that these people could find love, because some of them really deserved to be happy... and because it meant there was still hope for the rest of us sad broken individuals.

• I usually watch one a year - I get quite into it - Seeing the characters change over the weeks

• I got to keep up with the Kardashian's

• It's gossip.

What Girls Said 5

• They think it's real but they are scripted. I used to like the kardashians until I realized how arrogant they were and wouldn't stop dating asshole trash.

• I have a very low tolerance for fake stuff. I won't watch the big bang because I know the stories are fake, the characters are fake, the setting is fake, the plot is fake and the relationships are fake. That is why I watch reality t. v. it is still depressing and boring but it is MORE real than the Big Bang.

• Are you talking about the Big Bang theory? The series? If yes, here's the difference: the producers of the Big Bang theory NEVER CLAIMED that it was really. It's fiction just like the Simpsons or the movie The Notebook is fiction. There's nothing wrong about that. The problem with reality TV is that its producers do claim that it is all real when truly, it's all fake and scripted.

• Xfactor is a talent competition not reality show. Big brother is real not fake. Google it towie , mic etc are reality shows based on real storylines and lives. Not made up some things are planned for more drama yes

• I miss the old reality shows from MTV, they were great and entertaining. Laguna Beach, Road Rules, Punkd, Pimp My Ride, My Super Sweet 16, Viva La Bam, and others. The problem is everything has been done already, so nowadays reality shows go over the top to get ratings and it's just stupid.

• its funny to watch.