Can someone tell me the difference between being anorexic and bulimic?

my mom called me anorexic but im not at all skinny and it was really messed up that she would yell this at me in an argument. but i was wondering if i actuallly am anorexic cause she knows i try not to eat and then when i do i just binge. and I've told her many many times that i dont like the way i look. I've kept a diary since 4th grade and even then i would look at myself as fat. i dont know how this started it just did. she doesn't care but thats not the point. could i actually be bulimic? i weigh 118 and im 5 foot tall. (not growing anymore) so im actually overweight considering my height. whats wrong with me?

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 3

• The fact that you write ".. i try not to eat and then when i do i just binge".
    That points more towards being bulimic than anorexic. An anorexic would starve herself all the time.

• TL;DR: Anorexics don't eat. Bulimics eat and then feel guilty and overcompensate.

• Ans don't eat or binge and Buls barf?

What Girls Said 4

• Anorexia typically involves purposely starving yourself and imagining yourself as much heavier than you really are. Some people with anorexia may even mistake loose skin from losing so much weight as rolls of fat.

Bulimia typically involves binge eating followed by compensation such as forced vomiting, taking a lot of laxatives or exercising their body into exhaustion.

If you believe you have either of these its important to seek help. And its perfectly ok to seek help, seeking help is not something to be embarrassed of. Your mother has no right to use a disorder against you to make you feel bad, then again she may not know how to go about bringing it up.

• What do you do after you binge? If you vomit, take laxatives or exercise for hours to get rid of the calories, then it sounds like bulimia.

However, nobody can diagnose you on here. Please seek help, eating disorders are dangerous! And the longer you wait, the more difficult it will be to recover.

• There's always misunderstanding with the term anorexic. Anorexic is someone who doesn't want/ can't eat because he/she has no appetite. You can be 350 pounds and anorexic. A bulimic is someone who can't help but eat lots of food, more than he really needs and then he tends to puke

• Anorexics don't not eat because they have no appetite. They don't eat because they view themselves as fat and want to be "beautiful".

• The medical definition of anorexia is the lack of appetite. What you're describing is called anorexia nervosa and is a mental condition

• Anorexia is restraining your food intake, and yes sometimes they gorge on food from time to time the only major difference from that is a bulimic would purge/throw up to get ride of those extra calories and some eat normally and throw up after words.