Are singing competitions (xfactor and idols) the fastest way to fame?

Is idols/xfactor the fastest way of reaching such a dream? Especially if you're trying to break in the USA or the UK and more likely from another country... say swedish idol and get signed by sony/universal records and trying to venture out using the same record labels but from other branches around the world?

Most Helpful Guy

• I have some experience with making music, recording and such.

I can say 'Yes'. I can't think of anything else that can get you there as quick as these competitions can. I also have to say that these competitions look fake to me. I think that the winners are predetermined. I'm pretty sure that record labels take an interest in someone early one, sign that person and than pay to have that someone win it.

There is however no guarantee. I remember on 'Popstars' that winners formed a group called "hearsay" and the losers formed a group called "liberty X". Ironically Liberty X became much more successful.

Winning or ending up high in these competition means you'll get signed by a big label And because they have a world wide network and you already have some fame being on television it is easier to make a hit record. However I see these artist get less and less success. They kind of disappear as fast as they came. At least faster than when these competitions were held in the 90's.

What Girls Said 1

• i guess so

What Guys Said 5

• I think fastest way to 15 minutes of fame - Very few on UK version made any headway in the industry

• it's da fastest way 2 idicule yerself... if u wanna call this fame, then wot could i say?

• This is a concept of actual steps to succeeding in the music industry and also you can't win such competitions without fans from your country..

• I would call them plan B and yes they are very resourceful for any God given talent.

• ok... i'm speechless

• Cheap fame in most cases, but there are some exceptions.

• Well, seeing as how idol is in its last season, probably not

• If fame is all you want then shooting up Times Square is much faster.

• Obviously fame is not everything. Talent, looks and determination always drive your fame up.

• I'm a musicians slash music artist so I'm quite sure music is my passion then money.

• In that case I would suggest putting some of your stuff on YouTube or something like that to get some exposure. And if you do live music, maybe get something going locally.