Is the American flag racist?

Everyones talking about how the confederate flag is considered racist. But doest the American flag have some dark history of itself

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm Native American, and I approve this message

• The flag itself isn't racist. The confederate flag by itself isn't racist. Racism is an ideal. A flag is a physical object

Objects don't have feelings or make decisions. Humans do that.

The ONLY reason why people are taking offense to the confederate flag in the first place is that black people died, and this one place didn't lower their flag to half-mast.

One guy who used the flag did something wrong, so everyone is a racist

What Girls Said 4

• Well I do care that it's racist but I just don't get why a country would want to fly a flag that represented a group that tried to destroy said country.
    I don't really see the British flying our flag saying "that's for separating from us. Fun times". So I don't he why America is all "you tried to destroy us and murdered out president. But it's all cool thanks for the memories."

• You know what should we do? we should wipe out all borders and erase all history books and raise this flag as the flag of that new country.
    www.saintpetersblog.com/.../gay-pride.jpg

• Con flag racist
    American flag is as racist as the Canadian flag

• No. Because it aspires to be more than the dark history grew up with.

• And the confederate flag doesn't?

Rednecks just want to watch Duke's of Hazard lol

• It's almost like... what something symbolizes can change based on who's looking at it.

If we take down the confedirate flag because it's racist, when am I going to get all of my land back? Because all of this belonged to us lol

• First, everyone did not agree. Yes, more people agreed than now, and you can't simply divide south and north. Yet, my point stands that at least the constitution had higher ideals that it was clearly not meeting at the time. As for your being Native American, you are correct, this country was founded on the genocide of your people. It was founded on injustice. I don't deny that.

What Guys Said 15

• Well, flags being inanimate objects can't be racist. Also tecnicly there is no such thing as racisim since we cannot actually define "race" a term coined in an era of extreme "racisim" in order to justify the subjugation of various ethnic groups. As for the confederate flag, from what I have been told it is meant as a sign of solidarity for the south since after the war they were suppose to be a unified country again and yet the economy was destroyed in the south by the north (thanks in large part to general sherman and the British finding new sources for cotton) and yet no one helped them. In fact the south is still the poorest part of the USA even today, just now parts have started to recover so it symbolized there dependence on eachother and the north and the governments abandonment of them.

• Every nation has a dark history/racist element to it. However the thing that separates them from the Confederacy is that most of those countries eventually came to realize their past wrongdoings and tried in many way to rectify the problem, especially America. America created a country in Africa (Liberia) for the free black slaves to return to if they wanted to. They also created reservations out west where the Native Americans can live without any interference from the American government. Not to mention they created many programs like Affirmative Action to make up for systematically holding minorities (especially blacks) from seeking formal education for over 200 years.

So while nations tried to rectify the problems they created, the Confederacy did the exact opposite, so that explains why the Confederate flag is looked at with more disgust as oppose to the American flag.

• Is there a nation in the world who's flag doesn't have some dark history? In that case the British, Scottish, Irish, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, and Russian flags are all racist as well because all of those nations had slaves at one point and discriminated against black, yellow and brown people, America isn't the only nation to be prejudiced, or have slaves, or be responsible for the deaths of other races of people, only we did it last so everybody blames us. I mean, look at Australia, the British conquerors used to go on hunting parties and shoot the aborigines for sport, and killed how many Irish because they were catholic? And America has a dark history.

• I don't really know the history of either flag but nobody has mentioned the US flag in current controversy.

• the confederate flag isn't racist. comming in from another country then expecting that country to do what your culture says: is purely idiotic. and is cuturally insensitive to the native country.

i dont live in the usa. thats not a secret. but if i came to the usa to live i wouldn't try and change america to suit me, because its childish to expect that would happen.

i grew up watching the dukes of hazzard, and the awesome orange dodge charger.
    that flag on the roof doesn't represent to me racism. i just saw good people in the south getting scewed by the "man" week after week.

• Racism was incidental to the United States and in fact contradictory to its founding principles.

Racism was the raison d'etre of the Confederacy.

There's the difference.

• Pretty much all flags have some sort of not so great history attached to them. I'm glad that people are starting to learn more about history that some of us have known for a while now.

• Doesn't... approximately every symbol ever associated with any group that ever did anything racist or offensive?

Yes, America's flag. could be considered offensive. But why should you choose to be offended by it?

• Im not offended by it just as i am not offended by the confederate flag

• Unless something is used for racism than it becomes a racist symbol, like the Nazi flag and their version of the swastika.

The Confederate flag means different things to different people so I wouldn't call it exclusively racist.

• White is white boi. Blue is Asian boi. Red is da brack boi 👤👥

• i'd burn both of them if i had the chance, put it that way

• The US flag has some blemishes in history but no where near that of the confederate flag. That flag was made in large part in hopes of perpetuating one of the US's darkest pieces of history.

• Well the confederate flag, designed by the Democrats, by the way... for all of you liberal democrats out there... I can kind of understand. The American flag? I dont see anything racist about it.
    I also think that a man that wants to fly a confederate flag, a Red Chinese Flag, or a picture of his buttocks has every right to do so. This IS america

• Let's just call everything racist because that's what people want nowadays.

• Everything is racist now

• Yes i know not exactly the point though