Why do peoole feel so much more superior to other lifeforms?

Sometimes I wonder why people treat animals like shit when they are really very speacial because of my experience with a very important member of my life. When I was about nine years old my parents adopted a puppy and we named him J. As weird as I may sound, J was like a brother and best friend. When we first got him me and my brothers and sisters did everything with him, and he had a special personality. He used to get up early in the morning and steal my moms socks off of her feet while she was sleeping like clock work. He used to watch cartoons with us, his favorite commercial was chia pets. No matter what he was doing whenever he heard "cha cha cha chia!" he would run to the tv. Me and my siblings played with him in the basement and we all fell asleep on the couch in the basement with him. Once, we left and he learned how to stand on his feet and turn his paws on the doornob until the door opened so he could get out of the basement. Once he accidently bit my hand while I was feeding him, and I know he was trying to apologize to me by how he was acting afterwards, less hyper and with a look that begged forgiveness. Once we had two cats and J, and even though they were cats he treated them like family. He even stepped in and broke up the cats fights, standing up for the little cat over the bigger one. Once he dug up a gun in our yard and started barking like crazy, and when I came outside he barked at me and chased me into the house but let my mom come out to get it because he KNEW that I, a child, shouldn't touch a gun. He even learned how to take his leash off so he could run to the neighbors house to be with what we all called "his girlfriend". Sometimes in the mornings we would get up, see that J was missing, and instantly know to look on the front porch, where sure enough, he was watching the sunrise. How can people abuse or hate animals? Its just the same as hating people. Even though animals can't do what we can, this is their world too.

Most Helpful Girl

• I have been thinking about this as well. I try to spend minimal money on steaks because I know cows are innocent and do not deserve to get killed. I still eat meat but I try to avoid hurting cows cause they feel more human to me than other animals that we eat.

What Guys Said 2

• Because we are. It's sad. I love animals too death but I don't see my cat 'adulting'. I do wish I could sleep as much as him though.

• Baby.. lets show how BIC our LUV is for eachother and to the animals that we care about 💏

What Girls Said 4

• We are. Everyone has a part to play and we are superior. That's no excuse to beat the beings though.

Besides, do you think a mountain lion--if it had the mental capacity that we do--would stop attacking us? I doubt it.

• I don't know. I think that Christians believe that animals were put on the Earth for us which would make us superior.

• Oh my lol I actually teared up. I love animals as well and think it's horrible when people treat them badly. Humans aren't any better than other animals if anything they're worse.

• Because we're egotistical bastards