Capitalism vs Socialism?

Capitalism- Properties owned by people. Competitive "survival of the fittest" economy. Monopolies can develop

Socialism-Government owns most things (Hospitals, schools, etc.) Wealth is evenly distributed. Prevents absolute poverty. Hard work for big business is not encouraged much

Which one works better for society in real life?
What forms of Capitalism? What forms of Socialism? A bit of both?

• Purely Capitalism
  • Purely Socialism
  • Mostly Capitalism, slight Socialism
  • Mostly Socialism, slight Capitalism
  • Equal mixture of both
  • Neither?

Most Helpful Guy

• The problem that we have when talking about this is that people form different continents have very different ideas of "Socialism". It's difficult to have reasonable discussions with Americans about Socialism in my opinion because many Americans are totally indoctrinated by the media and have a very indifferentiated view about Socialism. When I lived in America and I once said in school that I consider myself a Socialist, the very first thing my teacher asked me in disbelief was "So you think Stalin was a good man?"
    Personally, I am convinced - and my conviction is based on reality - that a system called Democratic Socialism is by far the most superior of all the systems that we've tried so far. It's not a coincidence that all the countries that have tried Democratic Socialism (or are still doing it) such as Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, the Netherlands or my own country Switzerland are some of the richest countries in the world per capita. But these countries are not only rich, they are also peaceful and their people are exceptionally happy. According to an international survey that is conducted every year, the Danish have been the happiest people on the planet for the past 4 years. Switzerland was number two. Finland is known to have the most successful education system in the world. The reason for all this is simple: Socialist (I'm not talking about Stalinism, I'm talking about what we Europeans consider Socialism) policies have a direct impact on the social equality of a population. And social equality is directly proportional to pretty much all the good things you wanna have: low crime rate, high education rate and high literacy, low teenage pregnancy rate, high life expectancy, an intact nature and environment etc.. This is not some sort of biased, personal opinion. Anyone can live in one of these countries for a little while and see for themselves. Americans often say that their system is the best. But if American capitalism was really the best, the US would hardly have so many problems. Practically no country in the world (and certainly no first-world-country) has a society where the wealth is so unequally distributed. This has since the 1980s and Reagan's extreme capitalism brought about an endless number of problems. The society is totally divided, rich people live in fenced off neighborhoods, you meet homeless people at every corner, there's tons of crime, high teenage pregnancy, streets and bridges crumble, high schools suck etc.

What Girls Said 2

• Honestly, humans are too corruptible for any ideal situation to ever come about. There will always be poverty and suffering.

• This is true. Try telling that to political and socioeconomic idealists, though. :-P

• That's not true. In fact, it's a very cynical view on the world. Poverty is a cause of a man-made economic system. We are people, so we can change the system. More specifically, poverty is a cause of the interest-based capitalist system, where you can make more money with money than with actual labor. Poor people are only poor because there are rich people. Rich people could never be rich if they weren't living off all the poor people. This works both on a national level, as well as on a global scale. The people of Europe and North America are only so rich because billions of people in the world are so poor.
      And a further prove that poverty is not a necessity of reality can be found if you simply move to one of the countries in western Europe that practice Democratic Socialism. For example in Switzerland, we don't have real poverty. Of course we have people are not so well off but we don't have anything that comes close to what Americans would call poverty.

• I'd go with mostly capitalism and slight socialism.

What Guys Said 14

• I'm going with mostly capitalism with slight socialism. I get that people need help and do think some help should be provided, but with the amount of socialism present in society today people are living their lives intending on using food stamps forever and such. The people out there I see using government aid act as if their owed that and don't intend on making their own money. That's where it's a problem. When we got poor people deliberately trying to keep their incomes low to keep their government aid we know the system is not working. There's many people who argue with their jobs because they want to keep their hours low to keep collecting whatever benefits they are on and a lot of them are perfectly capable of working. The system is always getting abused. Programs like food stamps should only be temporary, not permanent.

Plus with things like health care look at how poorly obamacare is doing. It looks ok on paper, but now many jobs are forced to cut off their employees with the healthcare provided and the only option they get is to sign up for worse healthcare at a higher cost in some cases. Plus many people who can't afford to buy the healthcare get fined. So if you can't afford it, they'll take money from you anyway. Plus many people out there don't like the idea of being forced to buy a product.

• I don't think the fact that people abuse the socialistic aspect of society means that socialism is bad, or that the issues cannot be rectified.
      What is happening in the US is due to Oligarchy. The balance between socialism and capitalism is leaning on one side.

• Well the thing about Communism and Socialism is, it looks GREAT on paper, and it sounds AWESOME when described, but in practice it has a strong history of catastrophic failure resulting frequently in genocide and wide scale oppression.

Communism and Socialism promises something, a perfect utopian society, now lets break that down.

To have a utopian society, EVERYONE needs to pull their weight, there can't be dead weight, so, the mentally and physically handicapped have got to go! and they can't be a drain on non-disabled people, so they need to be "disposed of" AKA, killed.

to have a utopian society, everyone needs to fall in line and follow the status-quo, so intellectuals can't be tolerated, as they will question the status quo and fracture the social order, so they need to be "disposed of" as well.

The masses need to be kept complacent, so they can't be constantly exposed to new ideas that threaten their loyalty to the state, that requires large scale censorship.

So you have a society with no intellectuals which is self-contained so no outside ideas can come in, the people are ignorant, they don't know any better, scientific and societal advancement grinds to a halt, poverty sets in, the people must be kept in line and kept from revolting through propoganda that justifies their terrible situation.

Gays! in a Utopian society, with everything going to shit and poverty running rampant, everyone needs to be reporducing, having babies to replace those who die in poverty and terrible work conditions, gays don't reproduce, you know what that means.

and finally! religious and racial minorities! the people become agitated, begin questioning the status-quo more and more, their frustration is aimed at the government, the government has to shift the blame, so they shift it to religious and ethnic minorities, resulting in mass state-funded hate crimes, prison camps, mass displacement and genocide.

Welcome to socialism, it looked so nice on paper.

• This has happened again and again, time after time, in Cambodia, in China, in North Korea, in Cuba, in the USSR, in every single nation that has adopted Socialism and Communism as how their society works, this is the common factor, and the fact is it just doesn't work, it never has and never will, there will never be a utopian society, because such a thing requires MASSIVE amounts of death, censorship and oppression of the masses on such a scale that the masses have no choice but to accept it as how the world works.

• You're just describing some dictatorships with common features, you're not actually describing an economic system. The problem with people from Anglo-American countries (I will count you in there, if I may) is that you have an extremely one-sided view on the world in terms of this topic. First of all, you throw Socialism and Communism into the same bucket, when really, this are two pretty different system. Secondly, there are Socialist countries in the world that are doing MUCH better than very capitalist countries such as the US and that can even be argued to be more democratic (I consider the US more of a plutocracy than a democracy). Think of countries such as Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, the Netherlands or my country Switzerland. Democratic Socialism is directly proportional with things such as low crime rate, high life expectancy, high happiness etc.. This is a fact. Furthermore, I would argue that real communism has never existed in the world. Countries such as the USSR or

• or North Korea have very little to do with actual Communism. They were simply brutal dictatorships. I doubt very much that good old Karl Marx would have approved of any of these Regimes.
      And I would also argue that not all ATTEMPTS of communism were so bad. Did you know that there are many people in east Germany who are wishing back the DDR? It might sound paradoxic to an American or an Australian but these people were actually doing much better under the old system.

• Assuming both are democratic governments. Capitalism lacks public goods and Socialism lacks innovation driven by competition.

In capitalism, money talks and honor walks. Economic individuals (i. e. companies and corps) act in ways that benefit them the most, not what benefits the most. They would rather drains all the water in an area and kill the whole city then cover up with PR teams and legal papers if it makes them more money now. This has a tendency to create class wars and dissents.

In socialism, you move at a snail pace on everything. If it's working then don't fix it will be their moto.

• This question is answered by the history. Compare how workers in USSR and workers in USA did back in the Cold War and decide for yourself.
    With capitalism, there's more wealth created in total, thus most people do better than the ones living in socialist regimes. There is more poverty in capitalism then there is in socialism, and this is a fact. But, there's much more wealth in capitalism then a socialism can ever produce. In the sum, wealth is more than poverty in capitalism. Of course, slight intervention by a neutral government may decrease the poverty in a capitalism.

• I believe a mix will work would be best idea - Capitalist economic ideas but liberal/socialist ideals in other areas and the profit sharing as egalitarian as possible

• Capitalism is best for a growth in society and technological advances. If companies have to compete with each other that will stimulate innovation and thus will create a society more focused on advancement. However, it's less social and I feel morally a bit crappier. Like you said: "survival of the fittest".
    On the other hand, communism is more of a social system. Everybody gets the same and everyone is supposed to be equal. The problem is however, if the government controls everything, that opens up doors for corruption and a has a possibility to border on dictatorship.
    So both have their pros and cons, whichever you think is best is most likely more determined by in what kind of society you grew up in, than anything else.

• The problem with communism and Socialism is that they promise a utopian society, look at my comment above to see what I mean in saying that's a horrible thing.

• Even as a libertarian, I think mostly capitalism with slight socialism is the best for society overall.

• Neither. Both systems are completely based on materialism and consumerism. A materialistic society rots the soul.

• 90% Capitalism, 10% Socialism.

• A great example of the two when compared was told to me by a friend.

In history class he said Socialism is only good when its small portions, "Socialists wait in lines for bread. Bread waits in lines for capitalists."

Capitalism produces options and surplus, Socialism produces monopolies and shortages.

• In an ideal world, I'd be an anti-industrial agrarian republican (basically, the old American South but without slavery).

• Can we at least have our flag?

• Do you mean the Confederate flag? I don't consider it to be inherently more racist than the American flag, so, yeah, you can keep it. But, you'd have to take a vote on the matter, as per standard republican procedure.

• Either as long as Fidel's the leader

• I voted C. Understand I am purely capitalist and don't believe we should be handing out welfare checks to people who have kids out of wedlock but for war veterans or retired people or people born with disabilities I think they deserve our help.

• So a company takes all of its work overseas but still has full access to the domestic market. How are people to survive? Get into debt. Thats the cornerstone of capatalism. Get a collar round their necks as young as possible. It's slavery. Capatalism is pure evil

• When a government makes laws for the benefit of society it always hurts more individuals than it helps. Forcing one person to help another person is not a virtue. Capitalism is better from government, and individuals acting conscientiously towards others is necessary from individuals.