Are people with larger heads generally more intelligent?

You could say that elephants have larger brains but clearly we are more intelligent.

However when looking at head/brain size WITHIN THE SAME SPECIES, are larger heads associated with higher intelligence?

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 8

• There is no correlation between brain size and intelligence..

Think about it in this way, your brain is not solely dedicated to just logic, cognition and reasoning. There are areas for sensory perception, vision, motor control, instinctual drives, language etc. Therefore, it depends on the size of the specific areas for 'intelligence'. Proportionally, humans have large brain modules for logical reasoning and language, and that's what makes us so distinctly intelligent compared to other animals.

• I don't think so.

• I look at the long forehead. They remind me of the alien races, that are drawn by artists to pportray long big foreheads, larger eyes than usual wrapped to the side of head, small nose and mouth.

• Nope, not the case.
    Not how it works.

• Good question. There is a slight correlation but it's really mostly about the brain size compared to the body size (i. e., brain according to body mind).

Try not to be down if you think you have a smaller head. Einstein's brain matter overall was smaller and weighed less than average.

• nope they are not.. that extra space is empty

• Nooope
    Haha the IB kids had normal heads and small ones too

• no, Einstein had a rather small brain

• there were also humanoids with larger brains than ours now, but it wasn't an evolutionary advantage and so they died out (larger brains require more oxygen, but the lung capacity stayed the same => not good when physically active e. g. having to flight)

What Guys Said 10

• Nope. Large heads do not equal more intelligence within the species.

Also, the thing to look at between species is the brain-body volume ratio. Elephants have much larger brains, but their brain is smaller relative to their body.

• Which head are you referring to?

• I don't think that has ever being proven

• no way... head's size doesn't define yer intelligence's amount

• I've met plenty of fat headed dumbasses and tiny headed geniuses. My head is about average size but I'm a lot smarter than most people.

• My forehead is huge and I'm
    Dumb as sh** so I highly doubt it ahah

• Well Neanderthals had larger brains than us but that didn't make them more intelligent.

• Actually I heard they were smarter, but they did not develop language as well as we did. And that was the deciding factor.
      Basically a bunch of dummies who can communicate beats a single smarter individual?
      They were a community but just didn't develop proper vocalizing organs like we did.
      Saw a show on it on national geographic channel I believe?

• Nah, brain size doesn't necessarily mean it's utilized more efficiently.

• No way. My brother has a (slightly) larger head than me, while we took both the same test at the same age, and I scored higher.

• No. I think what people confused is this - bigger heads to body volume ratio makes an animal more intelligent than other species. We humans have the largest brain to body ratio. However, this is not applicable within species. I'm not entire sure on the science of that. You have to look it up.