Poll: Where do I sound like I'm from?

I was talking to someone on Omegle from California and she said I sounded
'different' :s.

I'm just reading a common dialogue. Sorry for the static right in the middle, lol.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s149pJNnzumG
"Arthur the rat: Once upon a time there was a rat who couldn't make up his mind. Whenever the other rats asked him if he would come out with them, (static) he would answer: "I don't know", and then when they say "Well would you rather stay inside?", he wouldn't say yes or no either. He'd only shirk. And then his aunt said "Well no one's gonna care for you if you carry on like this any longer."

If it helps, I'm not a boy (I sing soprano! haha) and I'm not a child. I let 3 other people listen and they all thought I was a boy for some strange reason which doesn't make sense to me because I thought my pitch is too high :/

Most Helpful Girl

• Boston?
    Sounds like it...

• So close, not bad at all!

• Cool!

Ironically - I'm not even a native English speaker... I just have an ear for accents. =)

What Guys Said 3

• You don't have a lot of Rhoticity in your speech, which is a strong sign of a New England dialect. I'd go with Massachusetts or Vermont... somewhere around there.

• Oh yeah I've heard that before, rhoticity... pronouncing Rs right? It's funny you say that because I find a lot of people to pronounces Rs veryy strong and it's sometimes grating to hear. I'm not even talking about the South; I mean even people from California and some places in New Jersey. Maybe I'm the odd one, haha.

• It's not about pronouncing your R's so much as about rolling them. People with a rhotic dialect (or language) roll their R's. Think of Spanish speakers for example. The Spanish rolled R and the English rolled R is not the same, but it might help you get the idea. You are right that people from California and New Jersey are united in the fact that they roll their R's. In the US, the New England states (Maine, Massachusetts, Vermont, Rhode Island and New Hampshire) are the only states with a non-rhotic dialect (think of President Kennedy for example). All the other regions of the US have rhotic accents. The dialects spoken in England on the other hand are mostly non-rhotic, which makes some of them sound similar to New-England-dialect in North America. The dialects in Ireland and Scotland are mostly rhotic (it was the Scots and Irish people who brought rhoticity to America). In the US, rhoticity is considered a feature of being well-educated/sophisticated, in England it's the other way.

• I thought first Chicago then New York so I was getting there but never would have got the Asian influence.

• You sound Asian but you have a new york accent.

What Girls Said 2

• you kind of sound like you're from new england.. i can't pinpoint a certain state but i'm kind of picking up a new england type vibe haha.

• Where are you from?

• Veryyy close to NYC, but in New Jersey. :)

• Wow. You honestly sound like you're from the South. Like Mississippi or Arkansas.

• Woah, I never got that before :o Hahaha. I associate the South with twangs in the speech and spread out vowels. I guess I have to listen more!