Do you agree that smoking is the weirdest addiction?

I have never smoked in my life and I never will. But I always wonder how people started smoking. I also don't use drugs but I do understand why people start doing drugs. They try it once, they get high and the rest of lives they try to get that same feeling again. But they can't because the first time is the best.

But how about smoking? You never hear anyone say “That very first puff I took was the best feeling ever!!! I want that feeling again”. You do hear stories about people throwing up the first time. They say “you have to get accustomed to it” and that they disliked smoking at first. So if it's not any good how does it become an addiction?

Most Helpful Guy

• I have no idea why people do it. I grew up with the idea of that it was a terribly stupid thing to do, and so I never even bothered to try it.

• That is the opposite of me. My father was a smoker. That's why I didn't want to become one.

What Girls Said 5

• i think its the action of smoking at first... and its a social thing a lot of times (depending on how old you are when u start).
    but yea, i get what you mean for sure. never really thought about it. hahaha!

• it becomes an addiction because of the chemicals in the cigarette. they're addicted to the nicotine in it.
    a lot of people use cigarettes to help calm them down. it becomes a habit, and its hard to get rid of it.
    if they're nervous, angry, or sad, they reach for a cigarette because it helps to calm them.
    and lots of people drink it with their morning coffee, or on their break at work every single day. it just becomes a habit on top of the actual chemical addiction. even if someone wants to stop, its very hard to actually do so.

• My first cigarette was horrible, I don't know why I kept doing it but I did

• Its more of a habit than an addiction in my opinion. Its like they can't do other things without having a cig...
    Going for a walk... have to have a cig
    Driving the car... have to have a cig
    Having a cup of coffee... have to have a cig
    It just becomes ingrained in their day to day lives. Becomes a daily habit.

• It's awesome. Can't be explained.

• You almost made me buy a pack of cigarettes! :)

• @ asker haha don't start it's very addictive.
      @Mesonfielde yeah ok *blows smoke in your fucking face*

• Your going to regret smoking. You can ignore reality but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

What Guys Said 5

• I think smoking starts young in school to be cool - Here in Ireland most of the smokers are young girls which is ironic since itmakes their breath smell, clothes smell, stains their teeth and fingers that is even before you go into health problems.
    Look smoke if you want, lung cancer awaits
    www.dundeechest.com/.../...904389_e4747c3495_o.jpg

• I used to smoke, and did it for many years. It's completely pointless and quitting that shit was the best decision I have ever made. At least with weed you are getting a high and whatever, but with cigarettes you are just "channeling" your stress with nicotine while ending up with your mouth, hands and clothes smelling like a dumpster. 5 min later you need another cigarette to cope with yourself. Quite stupid really.

• I have nothing against smokers but if I have to inhale that shit, fists will be flying.

• Nicotine is very addictive.

• Im almost 25 never drank, smoked, or done any sort of drug. I find all of it pointless and completely useless. However, out of everything i agree smoking is the weirdest addiction.