Would you take a fast food job, even though you have a degree?

I'm from Europe, I'll be done with college next year and I've always wanted to live in the U. S or Canada. I'd be open to Australia or New Zealand as well.
But the problem is the same everywhere. Visa! I don't know how people ever move overseas. Seems impossible to me. You have to get a job obviously to make a living and also to get work visa, but most companies won't even interview if you don't have residency.

Those that do are often big names like google or microsoft and while I will apply, chances of landing a job there are slim. So a lot of people have been saying to just go over there on tourist visa and get some fast food job. And once you got visa to work apply for the kind of jobs you want

And honestly I'm not sure I'd consider that. On the one hand I DO want to move there I also DO have a good degree and an offer for a well paying job here. It'd be downgrading by a bit. And I've worked thsoe jobs in college. HATED it. So I don't know would you do it? Do you think it's worth it?

Most Helpful Guy

• If you are wanting to live in another country, know that sometimes you have to compromise. Working in a fast food job is not the problem itself - it is a job like any other - but, as you said you have a degree and hate this kind of job, you should look for something closer to your area.

Going to another country as a tourist and working is usually illegal in those countries you mentioned. Do you just want to have a temporary international experience or are you plans to move there for good?

Have you considered doing a post-graduate course there? If you have the money, chances are a lot better than just trying to get overseas job interviews. Decide for your country and set it as a goal. Then, thouroughly study their Visa processes for your case (studies or skilled worker).

And please remember: Always do it legally! If you want to move and relocate, do it walking through the front door, dear, not sneaking though the backdoor. If you're an illegal immigrant, everything is worse and, in the end, you may be deported and lose everything you had conquered.

• No I want to stay there permantley, not just temporary. I've done study abroad experiences. twice

I thought about post graduate degrees as well, but I don't know if you have checked fees in those countries, but it's basically unpayable. I don't have that kind of money at least
      Here it's common to get paid for a ph. D so I was looking into that as well, but it seems like you have to pay for ph. D over there, so that's not an option either.
      By the end of the day it would only get me so far anyways because after a few years I'd be in the same situation I am now. Maybe slightly better

• I see. The magic about studying is that you will be living there and those study visas allow you to work after some time (with some restraints). But if you are employed in a non temporary contract term, you may apply for Permantent Residence. This will make the tuition costs to be cut by half or more, and you will be on the way to live there for good.

Though, it requires money, yes. Planning is the way. If you are working there, you will be able to pay for it. If you are a PR, it will cost a lot less. There is a lot of good advices out there from people who had the same desire of living abroad and told their experiences on the internet. Also, some agencies could help you in this - but be careful about scammers.

• It's not that magic actually you're only allowed to work on campus for the first 2 years and then I'd be done with my masters.
      And I can't rely on a job I don't yet have to get by. In fact the college don't either, you have to have all the money you need for the two years in advance or you can't apply

Will PR cost actually? Because stat colleges charge about the same for out of state tutition than for international students and I know few American citizens who lived abroad with their families and as result essentially pay international fees, because they instate nowhere
      If I'm not mistaken 2 years is the magic number, you need to live somewere 2 years before being considered instate

Most of those agencies require 3k upfront as well and give no guarantees. Money I'm not willing to pay on a maybe

What Guys Said 10

• If you have an offer now, I would take it, get some experience for your resume, and then start appying for jobs where you are interested in going.

• as I was saying to dudeman. I don't even think that makes it easier. I think joining a graduate program, even tho still difficult, is much easier than applying in a few years.

But I don't know really, it's a tough decision. If I get a job overseas straight out of college great, but if not I might do that. I also know a few people who just moved here from australia and the us, found a job in a few weeks and it worked out fine. So I wonder, is it worth turning down the job...
      I'm not a big risk taker usually, but living in the US has been something I've wanted since I was child and I feel this might be last chance. You know in a few years, I might be with someone or might have kids already, all of which makes it much harder

• I doubt a fast food restaurant would hire a foreigner cause they have to do lots of paperwork and they'd rather hire someone that lives there cause it's easier.
    I'm in the US with a student Visa andi wanna stay here once I graduate next year, so what I'll do is apply to as many jobs as I can with the hopes of being accepted to at least one. You should do the same, start applying to lots of jobs and you may get accepted.

• As I said, I will but let's be honest it's fairly unlikely they will. I mean have you checked out companies, for most you have to be a citizen or resident to even apply

• I was trying for video games as well actually for my internship. I was going for Demonware (Blizzard) vancouve, but even there I could just get the Dublin position

There are a few places for sure but they're incredibly hard to get

• That's true it's not easy but gotta keep trying haha

• Plenty of people with degrees working in fast food - It is a job - It pays a lot of peoples' bills and feed their families.

• I've got a good degree and I've done no end of menial inimum wage work. It's part of the territory, especially in a post crash economy where qualifications are a liability.

• but what if you had other options, i. e. a job offer lined up, just not in the country you wanted

• If you can/want to take the job take it. Nothing wrong with the menial labour in the short term though. Perhaps it will help you realise how cooshy the better job is once you get it.

• If I had to I would take almost any job. I have worked some crap jobs but still felt better than being on unemployment. There is pride in any job and giving your maximum no matter what. If I am 40 and working fast food I might feel differently lol

• ya I would if I had to as well, no doubt. Problem is, I don't have to

• Well if you want to move you might have to suck it up until you have residency.

• A computer science degree is pretty good here in murica but it is still very competitive. I would wait and get a job offer or at least an internship at a big company before coming here.
    Shitty minimum wage jobs are for people living with their parents here. Nothing more, you won't be able to support yourself unless you work nights and days.

• Swallow your pride, you're not only person with a degree. There are many of you out there now. Make due with what you have and when opportunity presents itself take it.

• Id work the good job for a few years so you have experience then move and work in the states in a few years.

• even then it's not that easy. I think getting to a graduate program is easier even than getting a job later.

And i'll be a few years older as well. I kinda wanted to enjoy it while I'm young. Date as well

• Ehhh do what you want

• just do it. i don´t know if it works this way but if it does, i´d do it. it´s not permanent so fuck it.

• Not by choice.

What Girls Said 5

• The alternative is what then?--unemployment? I know some people who refuse to work in minimum wage paying jobs because they feel entitled to work in the field that they studied in, thinking that they've taken a lesser position even if it's temporary. Meanwhile, their spouse works extra hard with two jobs to save the person's pride. Even refusing welfare, just to remain unemployed figuring that something will come up, some year, in their field.

It's money. You do what you have to do. Besides that, working a minimum wage paying job no matter what it is can also be fun, and one of the best jobs you might find you'll have. Some of my best memories working anywhere in my past were at a pizza joint I worked in when I was in my late teens. I took on work in broadcast after college and I still favoured the memories and friendships I made where I worked as a teen.

• as I said in my case the alternative is a different, good job just in a different country

• I'm not sure what you mean?

• When you relocate to a different country, you simply need to take what you can get. Many countries reserve careers for their citizens. You need to make connections and network, so by getting there and just getting by until you find something is more important than waiting for your career to happen in the country of your choosing. You may have to work a minimum wage paying job first, and maybe take a night school class in your field so that you can show it on your resume too that you are still committed to finding work in your field.

• Sure, why not? haven't you ever had a job like that before, it's not the end of the world and nothing to look down on.

Work is work, it doesn't make a difference what it is, it's just a job, not your life lol.

I have two associates and I don't use them, I never quit my job as a cocktail waitress because I make good money at my job and I honestly make more money doing this than I would doing either of those jobs.

• I worked in a restaurant to finance my study. It did not kill me. It gave me strength to continue to study.

• I saw the Europeans took au pair jobs and then found a guy to marry in Australia and America. 😅

• lol, well I'm kinda too mature to do au pair I think and I know marrying in is easiest, but I wasn't going down that road. Though if you know someone...

jk

• Some of these hot girls just went on the one year working tourist visa and found a guy to be with.

• I would have a lot of trouble going back to it but if it brought about your means to the end (aka the better job) then i would give it a shot, better to at least have tried to make it work out than to have given up right?