What are your opinions on hippy/spiritual people?

I come from a very 'spiritual' family. I am always forced to eat organic and there are hemp made products everywhere 😂 I have 4 salt lamps in my room 'to balance my energy' and am not unfamiliar to sage smudging. I needed to go to the store the other day and my mom said I was becoming a 'consumer drone.' Anything that comes out of their mouths sounds like something a stoner would say. I am forced to go to many homeopathic doctors, use aroma therapy, and get acupuncture done every once in awhile.

Most Helpful Guy

• The two things actually have nothing to do with each other. I wonder how "Hippie" became a synonym for "believer in astrology homeopathy and other nonsense". My view on the Hippies (the real ones) is a very good one. Both my parents are members of the 68-generation (summer of love). They are socio-critical intellectuals who protested against the Vietnam war and for the legalization of pot. Just like them, I am politically left, socio-critical, a strong opponent of the military-industrial complex, an opponent of materialism and I don't like the consumer culture we live in. I love nature and I care for our planet. However, this has nothing to do with all this spiritual rubbish. I don't have any salt-lamps and I don't believe in homeopathy and the like.
    However, I wonder why you hate the fact that your parents make you eat organic food. You should be very grateful about that. It's MUCH healthier for your body. Or do you really wanna eat all those pesticides and antibiotics? I find your attitude in this point especially strange since you live in the US. The American food industry is absolutely disgusting. They put so much garbage into the products you eat. Maybe you should watch some good documentaries about this and you'll change your mind. And it's also a question of responsibility and empathy. I'm not one of those pet-obsessive people but I do think animals have some basic rights. In the US, animals such as cows or pigs or chicken have no rights whatsoever. The conditions under which these animals are kept before they get slaughtered are deeply unethical. In Switzerland, we have almost exclusively organic food and I'm very glad about that. Hippie or not, I MUCH rather eat a steak when I know that the cow grew up on a local farm and had a happy life running around outside on the fields and meadows instead of eating a steak of a cow that was kept in a 2 square-yard box, fed with all kinds of disgusting rubbish, injected some medicine to not collapse under its own weight and living a life of pain and misery. And if you're a bit into food, you will realize that organic food is not just better for the environment and much more ethical for the animals but it also tastes much better. This is no spiritual crap. Scientists were able to prove that meat from animals who lived happy lives tastes better than meat of animals who experienced a lot of fear, stress and pain during their life.

• I was using the term hippie because I have been taken along on protests. I do understand it is better to eat organic and I do appreciate it.

• Okay, that sounds cool. And no, I wasn't offended or anything. I just wanted to point out that not everything is bad about the hippie culture. I think it's a good thing we think critically and take care of mother nature and things like that. Of course you can (and should) make your own opinions about all of this and then you understand that you can easily leave away some of the stuff your parents preach you without leaving behind the whole idea as such.

• I still have most of the same values as my mother. It is important to take care of the Earth and yourself. I believe in thinking critically and most likely always will.

What Guys Said 8

• I don't believe in any of that stuff myself, but at least they generally don't to force their beliefs on other people, like people of certain other religions do - obviously it's a little different when they're your family...

Although, I have noticed that 90% of the time, when a girl identifies as a "hippy", she's really just using that as a euphemism for "massive slut". Or maybe she just doesn't realize that there's more to being a hippy than sleeping around and perhaps dropping a little acid now and again?
    Either way, I've learned to view it as a *big* red flag if a girl says that.

• I think there are some legitimate ideas and points brought up and made by such people... but that it tends to be overshadowed and drowned out by what I can only call "stupid hippy shit" lol.

• I'm glad you never actually got pneumonia like I did when I was barely 10 months old and 8 years old because with all the "homeopathic" stuff you would have died.

They do have a point with how there's quite a bit of food that's actually not good for you at all provided by the industry, but avoiding technology and medical science altogether is just extreme and risky.

• Oh. My family still has me go to regular doctors. Have always been a very sickness prone child so they wouldn't keep me from them. My grandma doesn't have any problem with prescription drugs, at all.

• We are balanced they just have a strong belief in treating your body and the Earth well. I mean there are perks! I see our masseuse, Cameron, every other week.

• Are we talking spirit science Bullsh! t here?

I think it's a load of crap and that your parent's shouldn't be forcing any of it on you. Now should you agree with it that's a different story more power to you.

Please keep in mind that should it be seriously concerning any kind of illness should be handled by a legitimate hospital and qualified doctor.

• Oh I have many doctors. I consistently go to dermatologists, cardiologists, and just general practice doctors. My family has a balance with everything.

• I'm glad to hear that.

I personally think it's a load of bull. A placebo at the best.

Now, you asked about my opinions about the people that practice this,

I think that they are misguided and foolish about how all of these things really work. Crystals have no magic powers, sorry to say.

Now if we are talking about spirit science in particular here is a video series I find very educational.

www.youtube.com/playlist

• I think they are amazing people

• depends on what you believe. Personally, it can get ridiculous. Like calling you a drone for going to the store.

• Oh they took me immediately and my family is very balanced and logical. My grandma is very materialistic.

• yeah they seem cool

• My limited experience with them is that they base decisions more on whether the action is mainstream rather than if it's the most advantageous course of action for them. Their reasons for doing things are sometimes not grounded in truth (IMHO), but that's fine unless they want to make other people do the same thing.

What Girls Said 2

• Sounds like they are trying to do what's best for you. Like most parents they have their ways of doing things, and when you move out (or pushed out in my case😒) you can make your own decisions on that stuff.

• I've never heard of that before but i would think it's a bit odd but if you're cool it wouldn't matter.