Why do people tell me to get a real job when I work for myself?

It's so annoying my brothers girlfriend is always like oh yeah, you don't have a job! Then my dad has never liked my business, so he tells me I should get a real job. Really? I bring in $30/hr and i'm fixing to upgrade my equipment and hopefully bump it up to $40/hr. What other job pays that? He just doesn't like it cause it's landscaping. Hey I enjoy being outside and doing my own thing instead of having some boss telling me i'm too slow or whatever or working at a dead end job. I me hey if I decide one day I don't want to do this anymore I could probably go get a management type job at a retail store or something. I do everything from mowing yards to trimming bushes and installing mulch. The lawn mowing is what I like to do the most. Next year i'm going to buy a trailer and an $8,000 dollar mower so I can get more yards in per day.

You only make good money two ways. Doing something people don't know how to do or doing something people don't want to do. I guess my field is a little of both. lol

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know. It's really none of their business. People love to invite and include themselves into your business without your request lol

Don't worry about how they think or feel. You're making money AND you're getting a great workout. It is important to plan for your future and decide how long you want to be in this business or where you'd like to go with this business plan. Just because realistically, during winter, this isn't a very lucrative business depending on where you live. But if you live in a place like Florida or California, that's not an issue. Eff what others think about it as long as you are making the right steps for yourself.

What Girls Said 3

• Perhaps they are jealous?
    I consider that a real job.

The ones that I don't are usually prostitution or drug dealing.
    What you're doing is not in that lane.
    You're making an honest living and doing actual work.

• How is that not a real job? You support yourself and pay taxes. That's about as real as it gets.

• Just ignore then.

What Guys Said 5

• It's jealousy. They thought about starting their own business at some point and where too afraid to do so. Now that you have done what they where too afraid to do, they are jealous and trying to bring you down. Once I got my IT contracting buisness up and running several of my family members and friends did the same thing to me. I choose to stop talking to them for awhile and that seemed to do the trick for most of them. The ones that continued to try to drag me down, I cut off.

• Once you are making enough for yourself that is main thing

• If you make enough every year to support yourself, and it is legal, it does not matter what work you do. Keep going.

• Are you earning money? Then screen them out. People DONT LIKE people earning money on their own. It makes them feel like failures. Get used to it. Be your own boss. Ignore the nay-sayers.

• they jealous