Do you leave your bathroom door open when it's not in use?

I don't know why some people do that. This girl living next to me does it all the time.

• Yes.
  • No.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't. I think it's bad feng shui and the cats have a bad habit of getting themselves shut in. Like you'll be walking down the hall minding your own business and all of a sudden this cat paw will shoot out from under the door. It's terrifying.

media.giphy.com/media/luSykRPjbIre0/giphy.gif

What Guys Said 18

• Open.
    New guests can find the bathroom easily if the door is open.
    People will know that a closed door means someone is in there.
    Open door allows moisture out after a shower.
    Open door allows heat to circulate into the bathroom.
    Keeps it fresher.

Now the reasons for keeping it closed
    ** sound of crickets **

• People who lack common sense seem equate a closed door with someone being in there.
      Pretty easy directions to say that the bathroom is the first door on the left.
      It "keeps it fresher" by allowing dirty air out into the other spaces of the house.
      And if you wipe it down everyday (the shower), there would be no need for moisture.

Oh well

• Equating a closed door as occupied makes no sense especially when that's not true. What if there is no light under the door? Is someone pooping in the dark? There are simple deductions that rational people use while doing this that clearly you don't seem to have. :D

To equate this poll--which doesn't deduce common sense. Let's think here. It was simply asking what people do, not the reasons why they do it. There are reasons for people to do what they do--with common sense is irrational. That's like comparing a poll of what people favor--apples and oranges--and saying that "It's common sense, people like apple/oranges more". :/

Closet doors can be open as well. What makes you think that everyone keeps their closet doors closed?

Nope. Wipe it down after you shower. Obviously after you clean it, you don't want the chemicals to stay in the room, but wiping it after the shower, closing the lid and closing the door keeps that working.

• Most closet doors open into the hall, since there is little room inside to open into. So your idea that those would be open, too, does not make any sense.

Equating a poll of what people do when they give thought to something does not correlate to what foods they like. totally different.

"Nope. Wipe it down after you shower. Obviously after you clean it, you don't want the chemicals to stay in the room, but wiping it after the shower, closing the lid and closing the door keeps that working." Say what? You are talking about "it". What? I said the walls, ceiling, windows. they all have a bit of moisture after a shower. Do you do a cmplete cleaning of your bathroom after every shower?

• Why would you leave it closed all the time? Closed is universal signal that it is occupied! Also, with it being closed it will never air out.

• No, it's NOT a universal signal that it's occupied. Why would you let dirty air from the bathroom mingle with the air in the hallway? You apparently do and you enjoy it. That's fine. I don't.

• What is pathetic is that you still think it is normal to have it closed all the time and continue to argue about it. Look at your own poll and most of the responses here. Most people don't agree with you, too bad for you.

• You're really retarded... lmao.

No one's arguing about what's "normal" or not. And it's completely stupid to extrapolate the examples of this poll onto a global scale.

I asked a question as to whether people leave it open or closed. Your dumbass came with a nonsensical question which can easily be remedied. I don't care that you leave it open. Smelling dirty air is YOUR thing. But don't come onto my question, geriatric loser, trying to demean those who close their doors all the time. Got it? :D

• I do, to air it out (especially since I do a light cleaning on my bathroom everyday; gotta let the cleaner fumes out!)

• Yes, you should leave it open most times. The reason is that the inability of air to circulate helps mold and germs and other microorganisms cling to surfaces AND after a shower or bath, you have a warm humid environment which is more conducive for germs and mold to thrive.

The only times you should close your bathroom door are when someone is using it or to help prevent drafts in the house during winter months.

• No. You don't have to do it if you don't want to. And that's why you clean it everyday so that the microbes won't cling to the surface.

That's gross.

• *Yawn* You're clearly retarded and lack reading comprehension. I'm sorry that you're so stupid. :D

The point of my question was to see what people did. I didn't care for the reasons why they did it. Saying that I didn't know the reasons why doesn't mean that I was interested. But you're apparently too stupid to know that. No biggie! :)

So because I responded to his asinine question as to why would people keep it closed means that I was offended? Wow, you're really fucktarded... lol. His question was stupid which is why I responded with an equally stupid question. And then he continued to be just as nonsensical as you. :D

"Just FYI your inability to "be the mature one" instead by overlooking the fact that I called you out on it in my comment and jump straight to insulting my intellegence followed by calling me a dumbass just proves my point."

And maturity is based off of YOUR definition of what it would be? That's hilarious. Only a dumbass in my opinion would assume something about

• someone they don't know. Which is exactly what you did. You have no common sense. But that's okay.. it's been shown quite often. :P

"Ha! It wasn't assuming, it was based on how your conversation with @truthbeknown went. Hence, a guess, not an assumption."

Like I said--retard. An assumption is a guess. Just not an educated one. :)

But it's so funny how you can tell me about myself when you know nothing about me. Once more, it shows that you're a dumbass. Only dumbasses do that. But feel free to continue. You think you know something about me when you really know nothing and that's what's hilarious. :)

• When I shower no cause I don't want the moisture to leave the bathroom.

• Well #1, it is a room in the house and it is best to leave rooms open to get the best air circulation through the entire house. 2 people know when it is unoccupied, I hate knocking on doors to see if somebody is in the washroom. plus then If it is open it airs out after people use it, and that is best, if it's really smelly I will probably push it so it is a little more closed, but not all the way.

• That's gross to me. I don't want to smell poop in the hallway. But whatevs.

• The smell will stay in the washroom longer with the door shut, with it open it won't stay for more than a minute.

besides when you close the doors in your house it can trick the air conditioner or air circulation system. Turning it on when it's not supposed to or there is no need for it. anyways it is better for it to be open when not in use

• No it won't if you have a vent which I do. And if you clean every day as I do there is no need for it.

• yeah i do, no big deal lol

• I consider that air to be contaminated, so the fact that the door is open no matter if the lid is down to be gross... lol

• It's not a worry. It's just a habit. A gross habit in my opinion.

• cool, well i can think of grosser habits that people do.

• U need to let the fresh air kums in and out too u know. Stink AF uf u let it close all the timr without an air passage

• nope! and will never do it! its scary!..

• I think its more hygienic to open the door so that it doesn't become stagnant

• Yes to let air circulate

• of course, I associate closed bathroom door to occupied and if I'm the only one in the house, it's always on my mind who is in there? no one lol

• You can't see if the light is on from under the door or if the water is running to indicate that someone is in there? lol

• haha, a lot of people pee without the light on. I do at least in the day time :).

• Lol I thought most people leave their bathroom doors open.

• Yes, it airs things out.

• I live alone so it is open all the time. There is no need to bother opening or closing doors for a bachelor. #livingthelife

• I dun understand why such a simple situation would leave you so upset?

• Yes, got to refresh the air.

• Yes, I do. I think it keeps it aired out

What Girls Said 14

• I leave it open so people know there is no one in there and it can be used. The only time when its closed is when someone is using the bathroom.

• That's understandable. But people can knock. I do if I'm at someone's house whether or not someone may/not be in there.

Oh well.

• Yeah I'll still knock on the door to see if anyone is in there, just for common courtesy. But apart from that i'll leave it open. It's understandable that some animal owners would leave the door shut. I just happen to have a dog that can't even reach the toilet bowl lol

• Yes, I leave all the bathroom doors open in my house (there's 3 of them). The main reason is that it allows them to air out and I can also open the windows in the bathroom and let more fresh air through the house. In the winter when the heat is on, they get incredibly hot if the door is left closed. Like hotter than a sauna at the spa, not to mention humid. So it can become a nasty, moldy mess after awhile.

I like to keep my bathrooms clean and keeping the door open with the window open during the summer keeps everything smelling clean and fresh.

• I leave it open So you can just walk in and you know for a fact it's not in use or IS in use if the door is closed
    Plus it's really fucking awkward when you can here someone walking up to the door and you know they're gonna knock. But if the door is usually open but you see it's closed you know someone's in there and don't have to go and knock.
    The only reason I would close it is if a pet gets into the trash a lot

• I don't find that awkward at all. I also don't mind knocking. So what if someone's in the bathroom.. lol? I'd rather not walk into someone's house and find that their door is open, not knowing when they last cleaned it, and the fact that the air is mingling with the living room/kitchen air.

It's gross to me, but it isn't for a lot of people. That's fine.

• If you close the toilet lid the water doesn't spray everywhere , and the microbes will get around the house anyways.
      No one has ever died from microbes floating around their house lol you probably have some under your fingernails right now

• I know I do most certainly. But it's still gross. Ugh.. lol. But that's cool. I didn't recognize how common it was though.

• By opening the door I can get rid of unpleasant odours. Nobody in my house smells when they go to the washroom but some of my extended family members leave terrible smells when they go to our washroom.

• No because I have two dogs and if one of the bathroom doors are open they'll try to drink out of the toilet bowl.

• yes i leave it open when it's not in use...
    why not? if it's open it's way easier to tell if someone is in it or not. i hate knocking on the bathroom door because its kind of awkward..
    *knocks*
    "uh yeah... hold on one minute" like wtf is the person supposed to say? its just so weird.. it only makes sense to leave the fucking door open if no ones in it.

• It's not weird to me at all to knock. It's pretty stupid to me to let air particles that from the bathroom to go out into other space.

I don't think it's that hard to for someone to say "Occupied" or "I'm in here" either. It's very simple and tends to be automatic.

• lmfao, air particles? who cares. once you open the door they're all gonna go in the other rooms too. light a fricken candle.
      supposedly when you take a shit and flush it, it all flies up into the air and gets all over your towels and toothbrushes too. that never killed anyone.

• I do. I think it's gross. You don't and that's fine. I also don't keep my toothbrush in the bathroom for that same reason.

• Yes, it's a habit that my mom doesn't like either

• I was always taught to leave it closed. People have different reasons for why they do it which is fine, but it's odd for me to have it open.

• I know what you mean but I try to remember to close it when there's company though.

• I only do it at home when there's no one around but In public bathrooms I keep it close all the time

• Even when I'm alone, I still keep it closed. People have different habits. That's fine. :D

• ?
    Yes...

__________________________________

• During the day I'll leave it open, but at night I'll close it because scorpions get in my bathroom and I don't want them in my bedroom.

• Oooh. Scorpions. I had a baby one once.

• LOL. No. It just showed up in my room. I had no idea how or where it came from.

• I've tried looking up how they get indoors, but all I found out was that they could fit through holes the size of a credit card.
      I'm just glad they freeze whenever they feel threatened because I'm practically blind without my contacts in.

• I close it a little bit not all the way.

• It's an easy way to tell if someone's using the bathroom without having to knock.

• Did you know, that the dirtiest place in a house is usually the kitchen and not the bathroom? That's because everyone expects the bathroom to be the dirtiest so they clean it much more often.

http://www.more.com/germs-cleaning-house

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Health/story?id=1214155

• Eh. I still like ti closed. You can tell if someone's in by seeing the light on the door or trying to turn a locked door.

• To each their own. This is the way I do things and that's how you do yours. Telling me how your way of doing things is better/just as simple isn't going to make me suddenly change my mind, the same way as what all of these people saying isn't changing yours.

That doesn't work for everyone. There are many people who sometimes don't bother with locking doors in their own home or even turning the lights on if the bathroom is naturally well lit enough, and then you end up walking in on someone.

• What's the big deal about it? It means it's open and unoccupied. Better than walking in on someone.

• Who said it was a big deal? What I asked was do you leave it open?

• I'm not against it.. lol. The reason why I seem so defensive on here is because there are people on here saying "WHY would you keep the door closed?"

I said I didn't know the reasons why people kept it open. I find it gross. I can accept different opinions. But not when people are saying "You need to keep it open" or trying to tell me what to do.

You do what you do and that's fine... lol.

• Whatever you say.

• This is a really funny question to ask. LOL!!
    But yes I do leave it open not sure why. I know why in the winter because I don't want the bathroom to get cold with the door closed.

• I just had to know how many people do it because it's weird to me... lol. I didn't know that the majority of people were like that (if I'm projecting these results onto the world). It's interesting, but I can't stand it... haha.